We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
mid twenties looking to buy first home with gf
Comments
-
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »I also know how to 'play the system', for want of a better word..., I speak from knowledge not hope.poppysarah wrote: »..
And if you think having a baby will get you a council house you'll be in for a surprise.
.
Here is a handy link to the Shelter advice on housing rights for pregnant women.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/childrens_service/housing_rights/housing_rights_during_pregnancy
She may plan to present herself as homeless when the baby is due, or her or the OP engineer their homeless status by persuading their parents to serve them notice to end their lodgings in order to fit the basic definition of homeless where a local council is obliged to assist (security of tenure of less than 28 days).
Naturally enough, if there is shortage of stock in the local area, the council will probably be averse to giving someone a council house who can demonstrate that they can afford a private tenancy which they can easily afford on a joint basis.
Therefore, it may be better if she disguises that she has a partner on a good salary and hence stays living with her family until the baby is due.
This seems to be the strategy here since the OP won't contemplate moving in together in private housing to support his gf during her pregnancy where her priority will increase in her current situation and evaporate if they live together in a private let since there will be no demonstrable housing need.
This thread has been a waste of time for those that participated in giving advice since the OP has finally revealed that his intention is always to engineer their status into one where the council is obliged to help them and has no qualms in doing so.0 -
Absolutely not, I take great offence to that and I insist that you edit your post accordingly, otherwise I will take this further. How dare you, you spiteful, horrible little person!Here is a handy link to the Shelter advice on housing rights for pregnant women.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/childrens_service/housing_rights/housing_rights_during_pregnancy
She may plan to present herself as homeless when the baby is due, or her or the OP engineer their homeless status by persuading their parents to serve them notice to end their lodgings in order to fit the basic definition of homeless where a local council is obliged to assist (security of tenure of less than 28 days).
Naturally enough, if there is shortage of stock in the local area, the council will probably be averse to giving someone a council house who can demonstrate that they can afford a private tenancy which they can easily afford on a joint basis.
Therefore, it may be better if she disguises that she has a partner on a good salary and hence stays living with her family until the baby is due.
This seems to be the strategy here since the OP won't contemplate moving in together in private housing to support his gf during her pregnancy where her priority will increase in her current situation and evaporate if they live together in a private let since there will be no demonstrable housing need.
This thread has been a waste of time for those that participated in giving advice since the OP has finally revealed that his intention is always to engineer their status into one where the council is obliged to help them and has no qualms in doing so.Absolutely mortified at the snobbish, elitist behaviour of some on this board. :mad::mad:0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »Absolutely not, I take great offence to that and I insist that you edit your post accordingly, otherwise I will take this further. How dare you, you spiteful, horrible little person!
Howso?
Seemed quite a useful post to me?0 -
poppysarah wrote: »
Are you a troll?
I don't believe the OP is a troll but does demonstrate the lengths to which some people go to in order to qualify for social housing which is extremely hard to get and virtually impossible in some areas.
He has clearly demonstrated how it is possible, with sufficient knowledge of the system, to legitimately secure a lifetime lease with cheap rent, despite having no current housing need and where private property is clearly affordable.
I think he was just a bit surprised that he's not considered a hero for his stance in securing social housing on a high income.
I imagine that the likelihood of his partner securing council housing when she presents her pregnancy could be fairly high because it she is automatically classed as a priority.
Whether or not there is a rigorous process to uncover a joint net income of nearly 3k per month and point them in the direction of a letting agent, I don't know, but I imagine this has been considered the priority for social housing can be taken away or reduced when the applicant can afford to buy or rent accommodation.0 -
My experience if it helps OP
I found myself pregnant when OH and I were both students with no income sharing a room in a shared house. I was told by the housing officer that there were many more in my situation or worse who had been on the waiting list longer and that they could offer us a room in a b and b after I had the baby.
I'd be vary wary of getting pregnant on the assumption that you will get suitable housing.
What we did was rent a tiny place in a not so great area whilst graduating, my OH got a job and we saved for 2 years. We then did shared ownership 50% part buy, part rent. The rent is low as it is housing association rent and we are also on the property ladder with a lovely house in a nice area which we can decorate/refurbish however we wish.
Would this be an option for you?
I would make sure you have a back up plan as social housing is always in high demand.MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!:j
£10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
Weekly.
155/200
"It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."0 -
I am absolutely disgusted with your views, I am in no way trying to troll or exploit a system, I am simply looking at all the options. HOW DARE YOU tar me with this brush, I am absolutely mortified at how I've been treated on here, I have come on here naively looking for a bit of advice, not to be spoken to like dirt.I don't believe the OP is a troll but does demonstrate the lengths to which some people go to in order to qualify for social housing which is extremely hard to get and virtually impossible in some areas.
He has clearly demonstrated how it is possible, with sufficient knowledge of the system, to legitimately secure a lifetime lease with cheap rent, despite having no current housing need and where private property is clearly affordable.
I think he was just a bit surprised that he's not considered a hero for his stance in securing social housing on a high income.
I imagine that the likelihood of his partner securing council housing when she presents her pregnancy could be fairly high because it she is automatically classed as a priority.
Whether or not there is a rigorous process to uncover a joint net income of nearly 3k per month and point them in the direction of a letting agent, I don't know, but I imagine this has been considered the priority for social housing can be taken away or reduced when the applicant can afford to buy or rent accommodation.Absolutely mortified at the snobbish, elitist behaviour of some on this board. :mad::mad:0 -
Ps - yes we lived very modestly during those two years. Bought basic food, second hand items for our child, no car, no nights out, no nothing lol! We didnt have the money so we didnt spend it. But 2 years is a very short time to go without and babies dont notice anyway. Now we have a lovely home, car, holidays etc and a very nice standard of living. Oh, and we had our dream wedding - when our kids were 2 and 4 years old! What I think I trying to say is that I understand the need not to live with parents etc but you also have to walk before you can run.MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!:j
£10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
Weekly.
155/200
"It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."0 -
Thankyou Roxie, for a balanced and reasoned view - its certainly something that I will consider, and something I was looking for - people who have been in my position, and taken a route that works for them, and are willing to share their experience with me. This thread I think has been jeopardised by the sheer contempt displayed by several users, would you be ok with me PM'ing you for further details (by all means you can say no if you wish!Ps - yes we lived very modestly during those two years. Bought basic food, second hand items for our child, no car, no nights out, no nothing lol! We didnt have the money so we didnt spend it. But 2 years is a very short time to go without and babies dont notice anyway. Now we have a lovely home, car, holidays etc and a very nice standard of living. Oh, and we had our dream wedding - when our kids were 2 and 4 years old! What I think I trying to say is that I understand the need not to live with parents etc but you also have to walk before you can run.
) Absolutely mortified at the snobbish, elitist behaviour of some on this board. :mad::mad:0 -
Then you'd better scrub all the posts which revealed evidence to the contrary.FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »I am absolutely disgusted with your views, I am in no way trying to troll or exploit a system, I am simply looking at all the options. HOW DARE YOU tar me with this brush, I am absolutely mortified at how I've been treated on here, I have come on here naively looking for a bit of advice, not to be spoken to like dirt.
Oh, I see you are already deleting the contents of them.0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »Thankyou Roxie, for a balanced and reasoned view - its certainly something that I will consider
Actually, you mocked those who advised you to be frugal, in order to build up a deposit.
You did not express any commitment to repairing your credit record caused by 4 defaults.
You refused to contemplate continuing to live in your parents property, nor did you show any inclination to spend your 3k joint net monthly income on private rental.
You repeatedly emphasised your entitlement to social housing and believed the 45k per annum joint income was irrelevant to your chances.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards