We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
mid twenties looking to buy first home with gf
Comments
-
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »I have an honours degree and she is well on her way to passing hers!
So you accept that as middle class graduates with good earnings, you are poor candidates for being selected for social housing?
In a previous post, you expressed certainty that you would be given a council house upon confirmation of her pregnancy, therefore you don't really need the advice on this board. Just handover the MTAB1 form and go collect your keys.0 -
just to clarify, it was this quote from you that prompted me to use the word smug:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeBuyer
I hope living like paupers, and sacrificing any sort of standard of living makes you feel better about having owned your own home. When my girlfriend and I have settled into our nice house, having had the wedding we dreamed of, and our new arrival safely in his or her own room, I will feel just as satisfied.
and you are right, it is nothing to do with me how you pay for your wedding. however, this does again illustrate the point that you can afford NOT to use social housing, but i appreciate it is your personal choice.FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »I'll pay for my wedding with savings - enabled by not having to save up for a deposit for a house. I am doing nothing wrong by taking social housing, I satisfy the criteria and have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of for doing so, certainly not to some trumped up little person like you anyway.
however, due to this last remark i see no point in continuing this discussion and regret that it has become quite so personal. i was simply giving my opinion, which is what you asked for in the first place.2011 wins: £481Eleventh Heaven: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 110 -
?! Based on what criteria?!So you accept that as middle class graduates with good earnings, you are poor candidates for being selected for social housing?
In a previous post, you expressed certainty that you would be given a council house upon confirmation of her pregnancy, therefore you don't really need the advice on this board. Just handover the MTAB1 form and go collect your keys.
"apologies, only working class oiks who cannut spel wil b considred"
What planet do you live on?!Absolutely mortified at the snobbish, elitist behaviour of some on this board. :mad::mad:0 -
good, enjoy your lentil soup tonight.nervousftb wrote: »just to clarify, it was this quote from you that prompted me to use the word smug:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeBuyer
I hope living like paupers, and sacrificing any sort of standard of living makes you feel better about having owned your own home. When my girlfriend and I have settled into our nice house, having had the wedding we dreamed of, and our new arrival safely in his or her own room, I will feel just as satisfied.
and you are right, it is nothing to do with me how you pay for your wedding. however, this does again illustrate the point that you can afford NOT to use social housing, but i appreciate it is your personal choice.
however, due to this last remark i see no point in continuing this discussion and regret that it has become quite so personal. i was simply giving my opinion, which is what you asked for in the first place.Absolutely mortified at the snobbish, elitist behaviour of some on this board. :mad::mad:0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »Thats ludicrous, my girlfriend and I both come from 'council estates', I have an honours degree and she is well on her way to passing hers! I'm not sure theres a single street in my district that is exclusively privately owned for that matter! How in the name of sweet Jesus does living in a council house give you poor school grades? How truly ignorant.
I didn't realise MSE stood for Middle Class Snobbish Elitists.
Hey, I'm just one MCSE. Don't tar everyone else here with the same brush.
And well done for all your hard work getting your grades. Sadly, however, statistics show that, being from a "council estate" background, this was less likely for you than it was for me, being from a MCSE background.
And FWIW, the only social housing round my way is so isolated from "normal" areas, it borders on Ghetto-ism...and not being from such a background, I wouldn't feel comfortable living there.0 -
Again, as you already knew that you or your girlfriend has to present themselves as homeless in order to secure social housing and are timing this with the pregnancy, you didn't really need the advice on this forum as you are already aware of the council's statutory obligation towards you.0
-
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »
- people living in insanitary, overcrowded or unsatisfactory housing
- people who need to move on medical or welfare grounds
She's not overcrowded - you have said she lives with you at your mums
And if you think having a baby will get you a council house you'll be in for a surprise.
The problem is the limited number of places available.
If you feel you are very deserving them go see your MP and see what they can do for you.
Your current entitlement would be for a 1 bed property, unsuitable for if you're planning a family, but until you have one you won't get for sure.
You may strike lucky and find yourselves living in a council house quickly.
You don't have to live on lentils to save money but if you're serious about saving and set your mind to it, you could find yourself with a good deposit in 2 years.
I didn't quite live on lentils for 3 years but I was able to put together a very big chunk of cash which meant I didn't need a mortgage. But I could probably count the number of times I'd been out to the pub on both hands... It wasn't a great hardship and has provided me with something very secure for my and my family's future.
If you don't think saving is for you, then that's your decision.0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »
This thread was started really as a feeler to see about shared ownership, one avenue we were exploring
In the original post, you said that "in an ideal world a nice local housing association would give us a flat and we'd have a base to start from, but we've not been on the list that long and that doesnt look likely! "
Which has now transformed itself into spending 5 years on the waiting list with certainty that you will be given a house upon confirmation of the pregnancy and a belief that you are fully entitled to one.0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: ȣ4k? Thats not a deposit.
Is this the 4k that's going on the "dream" wedding?0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »not officially she doesnt, and that home wont exist in 2 years.
...
- I also know how to 'play the system', for want of a better word. A one bedroom flat is perfectly sufficient for a child up to 12 months, at which point we will be moved. This may not be the case in your area, but it is in mine, I speak from knowledge not hope.
Play the system, not officially, we will be moved.
Lovely. Enjoy.
Are you a troll?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards