We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
mid twenties looking to buy first home with gf
Comments
-
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »personall speaking:
my income 1200
my outgoings 860 (excluding food/living/petrol)
I could put max £2k away a year, so thats ten years to get £20k together. I'm not 'living like a king', I'm just not planning on living with my parents when I'm in my 30's!
How can your outgoings be £860 with no rent to pay? My outgoings are £900 including rent and all that goes with it, a loan and a car loan repayment AND fuel and food. Seems to be like you are living like a king, or you have lots of debt repayments?0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »car repayments
child maintenance
and I do pay rent actually!
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Maybe posting an SOA on the Debt Free Wannabe board would be useful? Or even in here, I'm sure people will be able to help. With such high monthly outgoings, I think you'd find it difficult to save a great deal. If there are areas you can cut back on, people will be able to spot them from your SOA.
There's a link to an SOA within a thread at the top of the Debt Free Wannabe board if you do want to give it a go. I found it really useful.0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »I'm sure there is - my point is saving for a deposit isnt a viable option for me, thats why social housing looks to be my best bet.
Rent/housekeeping: 450
car: 200
maintenance: 200
telephone: 10 a month
But as people have already pointed out, getting social housing is probably very unlikely. There are people who need it more than you.
That seems quite a high amount of rent and housekeeping to be paying when you live at home - is it negotiable at all? To put it in perspective, I pay £550 pm for my private rent.0 -
GrammarGirl wrote: »My outgoings are £900 including rent and all that goes with it, a loan and a car loan repayment AND fuel and food. Seems to be like you are living like a king, or you have lots of debt repayments?
So, out of interest, which are you? can't save or won't save?

Seriously, though, whilst your low outgoings are enviable, they're far from achievable for many people.
Even in a shared house round here you'd be paying around £600 rent, even if that includes rates, you'd still have insurance, phone, food, fuel, car maintenance, clothing, cleaning etc etc to add on..that's before you think of broadband, tv and other things that might be considered "luxuries" and a long way before you think of a budget for social, or savings for a holiday.
Now, in your view that might be "living like a king", to others it would be "enjoying your youth, not living your 20s in poverty".0 -
Use these next 2 year to re-build your 'history'?
How is it so bad?
How much savings do you have?
What property price are you looking at etc?
Two years should be suffice - I guess at the moment your both living the life? with combined earning of 45k you should be)should have been able to save for a while!0 -
Idiophreak wrote: »So, out of interest, which are you? can't save or won't save?


Seriously, though, whilst your low outgoings are enviable, they're far from achievable for many people.
Even in a shared house round here you'd be paying around £600 rent, even if that includes rates, you'd still have insurance, phone, food, fuel, car maintenance, clothing, cleaning etc etc to add on..that's before you think of broadband, tv and other things that might be considered "luxuries" and a long way before you think of a budget for social, or savings for a holiday.
Now, in your view that might be "living like a king", to others it would be "enjoying your youth, not living your 20s in poverty".
Sorry, I meant my outgoings for all the boring stuff, like rent, bills, re-payments, food and fuel. I spent the rest of my money on fun stuff!
Maybe I'm being too general with my figures. I live in the North so understand prices are cheaper (although we do get paid less!). From my point of view, I don't think it's fair for a healthy young couple on a good joint wage to get social housing. If they want to live together away from home they should do what everyone else does - save and buy or rent.
In answer to your question, at the moment I'm a 'won't save' - enjoying life too much to life frugally enough to afford to save. Like I said, £900 is just for the boring stuff...
0 -
By the way - my loans didn't come through necessity due to ridiculous spending. I wanted a nice car, so got it (bit like the OP so it would seem...) and I took out a low-rate loan to pay off uni debts. I can afford both monthly re-payments, so why not?0
-
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »i didnt have much choice, i need a reliable car for work and with my credit its the cheapest deal i could get
Of course, people have all sorts of different reasons for taking out loans. No need to explain yourself really.0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »exactly, I've been pretty silly in my youth with credit, theres no denying that - I'm just trying to move forward with my life in the best/easiest way possible
Good for you, the best thing is to take responsibility and put things right. I do understand your want to buy a house - I've rented for over 4 years and often get the pang when I can't paint the walls or re-tile the bathroom. But I know I can't afford it right now - I want my independence and to live away from home, and I want to have fun, go on holiday and live my life. With all that going on there's no time to save! I will start saving in the future though. There's plenty of time to be sensible.0 -
FirstTimeBuyer wrote: »why? your income is irrelevant with social housing?
There isn't a cap on income when it comes to applying for social housing. Those in need are priortised. The needy tend to be poor. Applications for social housing tend to want to know the income of applicants and ask for proof - i.e. payslips.
In some areas, the shortage of social housing is so critical, the local authorities cannot even offer social housing to those who are priority 1 cases (i.e. homeless) and have to ship them out to private landlords, B&Bs and hostels. What's the demand like for social housing in your area versus the supply? If your local authority runs a choice based letting program, you can usually see how many bids are made for available properties and if they tend to go only to P1 cases. In my local area, the minimum number of bids is 29, the maximum is 349 and virtually all properties go to those groups where the LA has a statutory obligation to house them - noone else gets a sniff.
As indicated before, you and your girlfriend both gross approx £3750 per calendar month (and should be jointly clearing easily £2,800 per month after tax). You earn close to the national average.
You have already indicated that 1 bedroom flats are available to let privately for £700 pcm which is around 20% of your joint gross or 25% of your net income, comfortably affordable by many measures.
You aren't stong candidates for social housing. It doesn't mean you'll never get it but you should be realistic about your chances, clear your historic debts and repair your credit rating.
Living with parents for a number of years and saving up a deposit slowly is what many people actually do.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards