PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great Cut The Cost Of Moving Home Hunt

Options

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We thought we were buying a bigger house but have now decided (we think) to get a really good loft conversion instead and stay where we are.

Will save estate agents fees, solicitors fees, stamp duty, removal expenses and a lot of hassle.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Dot
    Dot Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried to find a property on cutthemiddleman? The search function is not available until 17th October. Is it a new site?
    Dot
  • jpvic
    jpvic Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.rentacrate.co.uk/domestic/

You can rent plastic crates if you are moving yourself.

Their crate packs are great value for money.

Cheaper, stronger and more environmentally friendly than cardboard boxes – no waste.

You can either have them delivered or pick up from one of their nationwide depots.

You can also order on-line – https://www.rentacrate.co.uk/domestic/

You work for rentacrate Stuart ?

Doppelter Pfosten danke
  • l_i_s_a
    l_i_s_a Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    jpvic wrote:
    You work for rentacrate Stuart ?

He is spamming, he has posted on all removal van/moving threads, resurrecting old ones also. Every post has been the same and he joined today.

He seems to have gone offline since I asked him if you can pack spam in his crates! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • chardhouse
    Options
    mentat wrote:
    I am moving house at present and am running a blog at http://movingtimes.blogspot.com/ which shows the problems I come up with, such as...

Not so sure that this link is working correctly.
    Either that or your move is going remarkably well.
    This may need looking at.
    :embarasse
  • marklv
    marklv Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    People often forget that the biggest cost of moving is forking out 3% stamp duty for the new home you are buying, if it's over £250K in value ( and in the south-east that means anything bigger than a shoebox). On a typical £300K 3 bed semi that is £9K!! It puts everything else into the pale.
  • mitziwaltz
    Options
    We're moving from Sunderland to Birmingham in about 3 months. Sadly, neither of us can drive (so can't rent a van) and we don't have any mates with vans or similar. Anybody got tips on how to find someone to help us with moving? I've had some quotes from professional movers and they were outrageous--my new boss is giving us a bit of dosh but if we go that route there won't be any left over for all the other costs of relocation.
    Speaking of which, if anyone reading this has tips on finding an inexpensive flat or house to rent in Birmingham, PLEASE let me know. All of the housing association lists are closed, we can't get on the city housing register, and lettings agents we have called say they aren't interested in renting to families (I guess they prefer students). The rentals listed in the papers are way beyond our means and I am starting to get worried (we can't even think about buying a property).
  • MJMum
    MJMum Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    People often forget that the biggest cost of moving is forking out 3% stamp duty for the new home you are buying, if it's over £250K in value ( and in the south-east that means anything bigger than a shoebox). On a typical £300K 3 bed semi that is £9K!! It puts everything else into the pale.

Amen. (Buying a 3 bed semi for, errr - around £300k).
    Don't see the point anymore in offering advice to people who only want to be agreed with...
  • Dot wrote:
    Can anyone suggest web sites for buying/selling houses without the use of agents - other than https://www.propertybroker.co.uk which has no properties for sale at all in my area. A number of posts have talked about doing it this way but not actually mentioned where to look.

You don't say where you are located, but if you are in Yorkshire, have a look at https://www.moveindirect.com. You can advertise your home on there from only £10. This is the cheapest "sell it yourself" site I've seen because it's a flat rate not commission based. They can provide For Sale signs, ads in the paper as well as internet adverts. Seems really good to me.
  • The cheapest "sell it yourself" website I could find when I was researching this was https://www.moveindirect.com which seems to be mainly for houses in Yorkshire. You don't have to pay them any commission, you just buy an advertising package which starts at £10. If you go for their £79 package you get professional for sale board (which they deliver to you) as well as internet advertising on their website and on Fish4Homes. You can pay a bit more and get an ad in the local paper. I don't think you could do this much cheaper if you did all the different elements under your own steam. I'm going to try them when I put my house on the market in the Spring.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure