We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Product recall by M&S

Options
Last summer we purchased a free standing wooden hammock from M&S for £249. They have now issued a recall on the product stating that a serious fault could cause it to break in use.

They are offering a full refund, however my question is whether it would be reasonable to ask for some gift vouchers by way of compensation. We will have to make a 20 mile round trip to deliver the item to our nearest store and also have the inconvenience of the return and having to find an alternative product for the garden.

I feel that £50 in vouchers is not unreasonable, but what do other think? Also, would it be best to phone, write or deal with the issue in store?

Comments

• tbw
    tbw Posts: 5,137 Forumite
    Options
    CDL wrote: »
    Last summer we purchased a free standing wooden hammock from M&S for £249. They have now issued a recall on the product stating that a serious fault could cause it to break in use.

They are offering a full refund, however my question is whether it would be reasonable to ask for some gift vouchers by way of compensation. We will have to make a 20 mile round trip to deliver the item to our nearest store and also have the inconvenience of the return and having to find an alternative product for the garden.

I feel that £50 in vouchers is not unreasonable, but what do other think? Also, would it be best to phone, write or deal with the issue in store?

I'm all for a little bit of a sweetener when things like this happen. Personally I think £50 is a bit OTT - £20 seems more reasonable to me.
    ELITE 5:2
    # 42
    11st2lbs down to 9st2lbs - another 5lbs gone due to alcohol abuse (head down toilet syndrome)
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    CDL wrote: »

i wouldnt think you could get any

youve essentially had a years free use of a product at the cost of 4 trips and the inconvenience of buying a new one

no harm in asking but i personally dont think you will get anything more than your full refund because of the use you have had

that in itself is compensation for the inconvenience
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • R0bert_Sterling
    Options
    Compo Compo Compo!!

Christ, what is it with these low life???
    Beware of imitations e.g. Robert Sterling
  • Takoda
    Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Options
    As long as you make it clear to the store that you will return it when you have to make that 20 mile trip for another reason then I don't see that you've lost out at all. That way you aren't making a special journey.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even better, keep and use it. Hope it breaks while you're in it and you can get some real compo.

Now, seriously. You've had free use of it for a year. Take it back and get a refund. You are quids in. A 20-mile round trip really is not that far. And the "inconvenience" of finding a new one? Honestly...
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A full refund isn't enough? Are you sure you couldn't find a reason to go to the shops whilst you are there? You don't have to make a special journey just for that. Just go when you are going. The M&S 2 dine for £10 is on this weekend which is a good enough reason for me to go in itself!

B&Q have a very similar recall - you only needed to bring the canvas part back to the store. I wasn't bothered in the slightest that I'd had the use of it for while for 'free' that's kind of compensation in itself. I'd call M&S customer services and check whether that would be acceptable to them to just bring the actual bit that you lay in - makes it less of an inconvenience.

I wonder if the B&Q product is the same. That one was £99 - sturdy though - well I thought so before the recall!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • CDL_3
    CDL_3 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Robert Sterling; Thanks for your constructive feedback, if you've nothing useful to say then please don't bother. I'd appreciate not being referred to as a low life. The anonymity of forums always brings out persons such as yourself and I think you should be asking yourself some questions about why you feel it appropriate to insult others.
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    M & S think enough of people's safety to do a product recall and your first response is "what can I gain out of this" My first and only reaction would be thanks for making sure I didn't have an accident.

You are a complete waste of skin.

And I don't care if you post back with the usual drivel..don't post if you don't agree with me!

Why do people like you always try to make money out of others. Crikey, this life is the only one you get, stop wasting time, breath and electricity trying to get sensible, moral people to agree that poor old you has been hard done by.....you haven't. All you have done is bring your lack of morals to this forum.

Our kids are dying in Afghanistan for something that won't affect you, and al you are worried about is how you can line your pocket.

(I don't think there is a problem with recruits going where their employers(The Army) send them but Afghanistan is wrong).

You want £50 for a little inconvenience? Was it inconvenient when you bought the product?

Why don't you just get on with your sad little life and stop scrounging. Or are you the type of low-life(yep) who looks on every wrong as a means to make money for very little effort.

You are an embarrassment.
  • Julie_RP12
    Julie_RP12 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    We have one of these hammocks too. My understanding is that you can either return the canvas part only, or just cut out the M&S label and take that in with the piece of canvas it is sewn to. If the trip to the store is really too much inconvenience for you, I'm sure you could post it in with a letter.

I'm afraid I do agree with the other replies though, it is such a shame that people just think compensation all the time.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BillTrac wrote: »
    M & S think enough of people's safety to do a product recall and your first response is "what can I gain out of this" My first and only reaction would be thanks for making sure I didn't have an accident.

You are a complete waste of skin.

And I don't care if you post back with the usual drivel..don't post if you don't agree with me!

Why do people like you always try to make money out of others. Crikey, this life is the only one you get, stop wasting time, breath and electricity trying to get sensible, moral people to agree that poor old you has been hard done by.....you haven't. All you have done is bring your lack of morals to this forum.

Our kids are dying in Afghanistan for something that won't affect you, and al you are worried about is how you can line your pocket.

(I don't think there is a problem with recruits going where their employers(The Army) send them but Afghanistan is wrong).

You want £50 for a little inconvenience? Was it inconvenient when you bought the product?

Why don't you just get on with your sad little life and stop scrounging. Or are you the type of low-life(yep) who looks on every wrong as a means to make money for very little effort.

You are an embarrassment.

Hear hear. Agree with all you've written there mate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport