My BT line rental is £ 15.45 a month ??!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
61 replies 7.7K views

Replies

• Codehook wrote: »
    BT is now attempting to con people out of their money.

I set-up a bt line order online for unlimited evening & weekend, which stated that I MAY qualify for the free connection charge offer. I then got an e-mail saying I did qualify, no mention in that e-mail of any changes to the cost or contract. Let us note here that there was nowhere to tick whether I actually wanted this offer or not when I was doing my online order. I then got a confirmation letter confirming there would be no connection charge and that the line rental would be £12.50/month (presumably because I hadn't removed paper billing, which I promptly did do). But then I noticed that under the connection charge discount it said I was in an 18 month contract! Firstly, I didn't even say if I wanted the connection charge offer or not, and secondly there was no mention of any change of contract on any of the order confirmations. I am told it was in the small print, which is hardly fair considering I didn't even ask for this discount.

EDIT: I was told on the phone that apparently there was an option to select that I wanted the connection charge offer and that I must have ticked it. I do not remember doing so, but I will concede that this may have been the case. However, I certainly would not have ticked it if it said that it puts me into an 18 month contract, and I would love to see a copy of that page again. My argument still stands here.

EDIT 2: I just went through the online order form again and there is absolutely nowhere to tick whether you want the connection charge discount or not. It takes you straight to the payment confirmation page with absolutely no mention of it whatsoever. Thanks for lying, BT! Nice to know I can count on your customer service...if you don't believe me have a look for yourself and take a screenshot of the web-page you believe to show a box you can tick for the connection charge offer

But that's not the end of it, I then got my first bill through to see that I was being charged £15.45/month instead of what should have been £12.50! I have spoken to BT customer services who told me that because I was given the connection charge offer I am therefore not allowed the discount on unlimited evening & weekend line rental! Once again, where did it state this in any of the order confirmations? NOWHERE. I am told, again, that it is in the small print.

You can't hide away the most fundamental aspects and costs of an order in the small print! I'm sure Trading Standards will be interested to know about this. I have put through a complaint to BT and am supposed to be getting a call back. If I don't then I'm sure as hell going to make sure I speak to a customer services manager about this.

If you want my advice, DO NOT ORDER YOUR LINE RENTAL FROM BT

Hi,

I am a little new to this whole thing, however, seem to be in the same boat as alot of people. I ordered my broadband and phone line with them over the internet to find out that they had automatically put me on an 18 month contract "to avoid installation charges". I have called them many time and am still awaiting a call back about the "investigation" they are doing. I was told the first time I rung that it will be investigated and that it if was found out to be their error they could cancel my contract (as this is what I wanted) and I wouldn't have to pay any cancellation charges. Still no response. I am now considering writing to OFCOM, Trading Standards, Watchdog (while actually everyone).

Has anyone actually had any luck with this.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
  • BT_company_representativeBT_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Hello mambo86,

I have sent you a PM about this. I need some further information to help you.

Fionnuala
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • wakeupalarmwakeupalarm Forumite
    848 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Due to the shift in billing period BT have charge 3 months line rental in advance + 22 days in October. They have credited £3.75 DD discount for the 3 months. Should they have also credited for the 22 days in October or are they not giving credit for the shift in billing period?
  • BT_company_representativeBT_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Hi wakeupalarm,

The credit of £1.25 per month, for customers on paperfree and direct debit, this is given in advance with your line rental so you would see 3 months worth £3.75 on your previous bill also.

If you would like me to take a look at your account for you, just drop me a DM with your info and I will gladly look into this more closely for you,

Regards,

Keith
    BT Support
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi There

BT has been my internet provider for at least two years now. I pay £24.49 a month for this service. I have contacted them at least 4 times this year to raise concerns over the level of charges on my account. Every time I have been fobbed off with the best package advice, fastest speed 8mb download etc etc. Each time I have reached a call centre in India or where ever. Although extremely polite service it is about as effective as banging a nail into the wall using your head. Having read an article this morning (one of Martins) and doing a speed check I discover my download is actually only 2.77 my upload even slower. I had not realised that there were so many variables to receiving this service. Long storey short I decided to cancel and was transferred to a call centre in Scotland. Where upon the operative actually went through my account details since May and discovered I do not need to be on their highest package in fact she was able to offer me a unadvertised £7.33 rate to retain my custom. This will still provide me with usage above the amount I currently use but less than a third of the cost. Why in all my previous calls couldn't someone have done this instead of giving me the hard sell about speeds and downloads etc. That it is not until I actually go through to disconnection can I be given clear advice and offered this lower price.
  • Can anyone advise if this is right:
    I have been with BT for 14 months and have decided to leave and go to Virgin as their package is cheaper. BT have advised that I will have to pay a disconnection charge of £25.00, even though I only had a 12 month contract.
  • edited 19 January 2010 at 9:42AM
    HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 January 2010 at 9:42AM
    nucscam wrote: »
    I have been with BT for 14 months and have decided to leave and go to Virgin as their package is cheaper.
    It has repeatedly been said on these forums that VM is the country's most expensive voice telephony provider (their prices for 0844 calls - up to 6 times the per minute cost BT charges - and 0845 calls - ten times the per minute cost BT charges - are classic examples).

If you do make the change, I would be very interested to hear your review of your own statement above after 14 months with VM. Please mark this thread for a return visit.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • edited 19 January 2010 at 10:23AM
    notbritishgasnotbritishgas Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 January 2010 at 10:23AM
    nucscam wrote: »
    Can anyone advise if this is right:
    I have been with BT for 14 months and have decided to leave and go to Virgin as their package is cheaper. BT have advised that I will have to pay a disconnection charge of £25.00, even though I only had a 12 month contract.
    I am presuming you have a package with BT that includes boadband and that you are moving to Virgin cable.
    In that case the £25 charge is for disconnecting your ADSl service as you will not be using a MAC to seamlessly transfer to your new provider. This is a standard Openreach chrge for the work carried out.

Edit: just to say that the charge could be applied even if your broadband supplier was not BT, if your supplier decided to pass it on.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    It has repeatedly been said on these forums that VM is the country's most expensive voice telephony provider (their prices for 0844 calls - up to 6 times the per minute cost BT charges - and 0845 calls - ten times the per minute cost BT charges - are classic examples).

I am usually very careful when using the home phone anyway, if I see a charge on there for any calls it is usually the wife and then she gets moaned at for not using her mobile with free minutes :rotfl:
  • JPSCJPSC Forumite
    30 Posts
    I have just discovered that my elderly Mother in Law has been charged for her "free" Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan since last April, even though it is clear from this thread that BT have known about the problem with renewals of the 12 month contract since at least last Summer. To make matters worse I have been in contact with BT about her bills and they did not point it out even then!

I wonder how many other older people are paying more to BT than they ought to be because their bills are so hard to understand and clear information so difficult to find?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals