PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendors pull out AFTER exchange of contract

Options

Comments

• sallyh82_2
    Options
    Yes I could complete (am down sizing) and if the worst came the worst suppose I would, but I don´t want to loose 20K
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    sallyh82 wrote: »
    Should I do any further to safe guard a smooth completion day? e.g ask my solicitor to inform his and get proof of funds??
    Waste of effort IMO. It is the funds you want, not the proof. If he does manage to prove it, he still might not manage to complete, because he might not have them on the day. And if he fails to prove it he could still manage to produce the money after all. In other words, the only real proof is whether he does complete. And chasing his tail for proof is not going to improve the chances of the deal going through - it is just going to give him more opportunity to attempt to wear you down.

Just make sure that the solicitor has hold of his deposit ... If he fails to complete, that will represent a reduction in the price you can afford to accept.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sallyh82 wrote: »
    Yes I could complete (am down sizing) and if the worst came the worst suppose I would, but I don´t want to loose 20K

You need to do some sums. If you are down-sizing drastically, you might be better off pocketing the buyer's deposit and remarketing your house. You'd then need to raise funds rapidly so that you can complete on your own purchase, but you'd have £100k to help you with that. Care to say how much you are buying for, to see whether that's feasible? Could you raise the balance of your purchase cost at a pinch? You'd only have two weeks to do that.

If that's too scary, you can just complete and leave the £20k outstanding as a loan. You don't have to write it off completely.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • sallyh82_2
    Options
    I´m buying for 700k, and probably could raise the funds, but at great hassle and ´burden´which is exactly what I was trying to leave behind! Also buying an appartment from the proceeds and due to exchange next week.
  • Joey122
    Joey122 Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mattski wrote: »
    I have just joined MSE and I’m adding this post because I’m worried that this thread may not provide the right information for someone who goes through the same experience as Welshwoofs. In short specific performance can be much easier than it appears from this thread.
    The same thing happened to us last month – because of their own financing problems for their onward purchase our vendors had simply decided they weren’t going to sell. It completely knocked us for six as we were in Brazil on holiday at the time (we were completing whilst we were away and the plan was to come back to our new house already cleaned and with our things in), we have a 2.5 year old and my wife is nearly 5 months pregnant. All is all it was a nightmare situation and very worrying.
    Shortly after I googled and this thread came up as #1. So, I went through all the pages and took notes. I was left with a clear impression that pushing for specific performance would be very time consuming and expensive and that damages was the only way out. This was also what the vendors were telling us. It had never happened to our conveyancing solicitor before and she seemed to be saying that damages was the normal way out too. In the circumstances we were considering this, however, realistically that would have been a huge and stressful headache for us – finding a new house in a rising London market, losing mortgage, next baby on the way, etc. Thankfully we had good solicitors who had a litigation department as well as providing conveyancing. Everything changed when, given our circumstances, we made it clear that we wanted the house. The solicitor suggesting getting a barrister’s opinion – this was the best £1000 I have ever paid for!
    The barrister laid out the options, and made it clear that you can apply for specific performance to the high court as soon as the other side has refused to complete (although we gave them a chance to complete before doing this). And, there is an accelerated process for doing this through the high court called a summary judgement. We were meant to complete on 25 March and managed to get all the papers to court by 29 March. You have to give at least 4 working days to the other side so we set the court date for 8 April. By 7 April the other side had accepted that they had no case and agreed to a consent order paying all our legal costs, the contractual compensation and to vacate the property by 15 April. This was simply put before the judge on 8 April and he agreed (the other side didn’t turn up). So within 2 weeks of the completion date we managed to get certainty about our situation and we took ownership of the property within 3 weeks!
    Clearly there is a whole story to this, but I don’t want to highjack this post with our story. I will start another thread to provide further details if that is helpful/interesting for others.

I am going through this myself at the moment and am quite anxious about all this - We exchanged and completion is meant to be this friday.

The vendor has confirmed that they do not intend to complete and I worry that I will incur costs which he simply wont be able to pay.

Can you indicate what the costs for summary performance judgement would have been and if you have details of a good property litigation company please feel free to PM me

I am sad when I should be over the moon and looking forward to moving in to a new flat !
  • GDB2222
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Joey.
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Options
    Joey122 wrote: »
    I am going through this myself at the moment and am quite anxious about all this - We exchanged and completion is meant to be this friday.

The vendor has confirmed that they do not intend to complete and I worry that I will incur costs which he simply wont be able to pay.

Can you indicate what the costs for summary performance judgement would have been and if you have details of a good property litigation company please feel free to PM me

I am sad when I should be over the moon and looking forward to moving in to a new flat !

Your solicitor should be able to help you out!

You should get them to contact the vendors and tell them that you will be seeking compensation and costs for the aborted sale.

The agent will also be sueing them as their fees become payable on exchange.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • GDB2222
    Options
    None of that helps if the vendor is skint.
  • Ulfar
    Ulfar Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    However if you go to court the judge can order specific performance in that the vendor has too sell at the price agreed.

Just depends how much you want the house.
  • Joey122
    Joey122 Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ulfar wrote: »
    However if you go to court the judge can order specific performance in that the vendor has too sell at the price agreed.

Just depends how much you want the house.

Just wondering whether the vendor can claim that he did not authorize the exchange and that the solicitor acted without authority

Is that possible?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family