🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Cheapest Way to Spend Overseas Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• kirkie_2
    kirkie_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just come back from successfully using my Nationwide Card in Spain and it was great. No charges whatsoever....
  • twinkle162
    twinkle162 Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    Going to Australia and India this summer.

On reading I've applied for a PO credit card, plus a Mastercard in case the credit card doesn't work. Also looking about getting a Nationwide debt card. Slightly concerned about the whole thing. Can I set up direct debits or something to pay off these cards from my main account during the time that I'm away...? AGH
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    The PO card is a Mastercard. I have DDs set up to pay the full statement balances of my CC bills.
  • Paul_J
    Paul_J Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a point regarding notifying your bank before using your Nationwide Debit card abroad, I called them up today to do exactly this, and they said there is no longer any requirement for customers to notify Nationwide of foreign travel intentions for card use purposes.
    So, there ya go.
  • twinkle162
    Options
    India & Australia.

As advised byt his site I applied for the Post office credit card, unfortunately was turned down - I haven't done anythng to warrant a bad credit score - but probably the fact I'm a student and have no major incomings is the problem.

Went to Nationwide to try to open and account and get debit card - the nice teller told me that they only gave the card to some customers and as I was a full time student it was unlikely that I'd get one.

I have a VISA card with my own bank and have applied for a Mastercard with them also - it was supposed to be a backup option, but its looking like I'm going to have to pay charges. Can anyone tell me what to do? Everytime I go into my own bank they seem unable to tell me what the best thing to do is, probably because they want to push their own cards!

AGGGHHHH:confused:
  • Victors_Bruvver
    Options
    Paul_J wrote: »
    Just a point regarding notifying your bank before using your Nationwide Debit card abroad, I called them up today to do exactly this, and they said there is no longer any requirement for customers to notify Nationwide of foreign travel intentions for card use purposes.
    So, there ya go.
    I have had problems with buying some rail tickets from Trenitalia on the internet. I thought it was Visa's fault for returning the "declined to accept charge" message and only after calling Nationwide and speaking with Nationwide, they admitted that it was them that had barred the charges because of security concerns.

Apparently, most of the credit/debit card frauds commited on the internet are travel related and a good deal of it is in Italy. Does not say much about the Italian online retailers and banks but shows you that Nationwide take the security seriously.

As I am off to Italy soon, I will still let Nationwide know when I am going, just to be sure I do not have any embarrassing moments when paying a bill in a restaurant.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    twinkle162 wrote: »
    Going to Australia and India this summer.

On reading I've applied for a PO credit card, plus a Mastercard in case the credit card doesn't work. Also looking about getting a Nationwide debt card. Slightly concerned about the whole thing. Can I set up direct debits or something to pay off these cards from my main account during the time that I'm away...? AGH

Direct Debit is the way to go.

You are left with the Audi Card; http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/financial_services/audi_card.html
  • twinkle162
    Options
    Donnie wrote: »
    Direct Debit is the way to go.

You are left with the Audi Card; http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/financial_services/audi_card.html

Which is just the equivalent of Mastercard. I'm unlikely to qualify for it because I'm a full time student, see previous post. Got turned down for PO card & Nationwide DD.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    twinkle162 wrote: »
    Which is just the equivalent of Mastercard. I'm unlikely to qualify for it because I'm a full time student, see previous post. Got turned down for PO card & Nationwide DD.

you got turned down for nationwide dd? as in a debit card?

why don't you try getting the nationwide cash card? at least that way you can withdraw money from ATMs while abroad.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • twinkle162
    Options
    pin wrote: »
    you got turned down for nationwide dd? as in a debit card?

why don't you try getting the nationwide cash card? at least that way you can withdraw money from ATMs while abroad.

The guy I was talking to in Nationwide, said yes, I could od that. Is there any benefit to doing that over using my Ulster bank direct debit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport