The Cheapest Way to Spend Overseas Discussion Area

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• alfa145
    alfa145 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Just received my euros in cash via onlinfex, I found a link that was offering free delivery. The exchange rate was much more beneficial than the PO was offering (cost me a tenner less, bargain).
    Now, onto the credit/debit card - I wasn't planning on buying too much, most of the small stuff I'll pay cash for anyway. I have a Nationwide DD & credit card - is it best to use the credit card for all shop purchases?
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    A consideration for all interested in the Nationwide account is whether having an extra current account has any negative impacts such as on your credit rating?

(I have a current account from Cahoot for the webcard and online transactions, my original current account purely because I've memorized the details, and now I could have a nationwide account just for overseas spending!)
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • ceejayblue
    ceejayblue Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ihave a First Direct current and savings account but I also have a Nationwide Flex Account and credit card which I only use on holiday. I find it works very well for me.
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    jago25_98 wrote: »
    A consideration for all interested in the Nationwide account is whether having an extra current account has any negative impacts such as on your credit rating?

(I have a current account from Cahoot for the webcard and online transactions, my original current account purely because I've memorized the details, and now I could have a nationwide account just for overseas spending!)

I can't see why I 2nd current account would have a negative effect on your credit rating, especially if you manage both properly.:confused:
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    moob wrote: »
    I can't see why I 2nd current account would have a negative effect on your credit rating, especially if you manage both properly.:confused:

Doesn't have to be logical. There are central agencies for credit ratings, yes. But lenders put their own decisions on this. We should be able to tell if >1 current account effects this.

Most current accounts come with an overdraft. I know that when I opened my last account I was approved for a high rate £2000 overdraft. Although I didn't use that facility the search comes up on the credit rating all the same. This may have been the reason why I only got £2000 from EGG when I would have expected £4000.

In addition, lenders might just be cautious of people with more than one account. But I'm only guessing and the decision comes down to each individual lender of course. Maybe they've done some research that shows that people with more than one account are actually wiser with their money and this is a good thing
    - or perhaps they would rather lend to someone who is more likely to get into a spiral of debt and be a good earner for them, who knows.

Is there an insider out there who can give an example insight?
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I asked this elsewhere but didn't yet get an answer- as we leave in four weeks I'm a bit impatient to get organised-

would it be cheaper to apply for and use the Capital One 4% cashback card and pay the 2.75% foreign transaction fee than it would be to use our Nationwide Credit Card with no fees?

We are travelling to Western Canada, and either way I'd phone in advance and let them know we are travelling abroad to prevent any security shut-dwon mishaps;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The article on Spending overseas has been updated, to go with the launch of the Travel Money Maximiser.

A new discussion has been started here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5563281#post5563281

Please carry on this discussion there :)

Dan
    Former MSE team member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family