ESA-work related activity group?

Options
Hi there,

I would be grateful if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction as I'm finding the new esa benefit so difficult to understand.

1 if placed in the work related activity group (as I understand most claimants probably will be) does one need to send in further doctors certs?
2 what exactly is expected of a person if I was placed in that group, and what consideration is given to existing medical conditions such as social phobia and panic attacks and do the people who deal with you face to face i.e administer the group have any medical training, and what happens if they think you dont fit in that group or they see its causing you a lot of distress, do they have any say or can report to higher authorities?

thanks for any answers

:)

Comments

• Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    Options
    I can well understand how difficult you are finding it to understand. I have had similar problems and often find it impossible to get through on the phone. Several of my questions have be answered by kind people on this forum.

I THINK you do not need to provide further certs once you have "passed" the medical. During the assessment phase I was sent reminders with a reply paid envelope a few days before the cert ran out. I would assume that if the reminders stop then the need stops.

That said, I would imagine most people unable to work on medical grounds see their GP regularly - I do - so it should not be hard to get a certificate just in case.

I have to say that, during the assessment phase when I had to attend work focused interviews, the pople I saw could not have been nicer. As I know myself, it is a very delicate balance between keeping away from all possible situations that can cause attacks or trying to expose oneself gently to difficult situations. Your doctor should be able to advise. If he feels that attending these interviews would be bad for you I'm sure he could write and explain this.

The objective is to help you try to find some employment that will be stimulating and is possible within the restrictions of your illness.

I wish I could help more.
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Im also wondering what happens after six months in Work related group? You attend six WFI then what happens if you still not fit to return to work?
    Many thanks for response
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • sharski
    sharski Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    Molly41 - if you have attended all 6 of your WFIs, you will not be required to attend another mandatory interview for 3 years or if you pass another medical (whichever is sooner). As for your ESA - you will remain on it until your either declare yourself fit for work or you fail a medical....

Happygolucky - if placed in the 'work related group' you will be required to attend a series of 6 appts (as mentioned above) as part of your claim. If you are struggling with your health, your adviser can 'defer' any of these appts for a short period of time. However, no adviser can over-rule a decision about which group you are placed in, so they will only 'put off' your interviews but you WILL have to attend - very, very, very few people end up in the 'support group' because there are very, very, very few people who can do 'no work' at all.
    Oops!! Should I have posted this??? Some users don't think I shouldn't be offering advice due to my occupation!!! :confused:
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    Something like 25% of people are passing the medical assessments I hear.
  • sharski
    sharski Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    TBH ESA........... it's even less than that in my office...
    Oops!! Should I have posted this??? Some users don't think I shouldn't be offering advice due to my occupation!!! :confused:
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    sharski wrote: »
    TBH ESA........... it's even less than that in my office...
    IMO that's good to hear.

The only problem is that the appeals will start to stack up.:think:
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    sharski wrote: »
    very, very, very few people end up in the 'support group' because there are very, very, very few people who can do 'no work' at all.

Do most of those people incapable of doing 'no work' at all work for the DWP and Jobcenters (or failing that become MP's)? Certainly seems that way from my experience...
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • Uncertain
    Options
    cit_k wrote: »
    Do most of those people incapable of doing 'no work' at all work for the DWP and Jobcenters (or failing that become MP's)? Certainly seems that way from my experience...

Do you really think this kind of remark helps?

Like many I am totally frustrated by the system but I've not had any real problem with the individuals. It can't be an easy job and I doubt it is very well paid!
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well the question is "Will I be one of the 75% who fail the medical?"

Ive just had mine...today. Very stressful and felt quite humiliated at times. Guess that the point of the exercise? Feel humiliated by the comments of DWP on here. Paid in my NI contributions, worked all my life.

Anyway will probably be increasing your work load soon by appealing....Sorry....NOT
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Uncertain
    Options
    Molly41 wrote: »
    Well the question is "Will I be one of the 75% who fail the medical?"

Ive just had mine...today. Very stressful and felt quite humiliated at times. Guess that the point of the exercise? Feel humiliated by the comments of DWP on here. Paid in my NI contributions, worked all my life.

Anyway will probably be increasing your work load soon by appealing....Sorry....NOT

Regardless of the rights and wrongs you might just as well appeal should you fail. Come what may you will continue to get the basic rate while the appeal goes through. Try to get some evidence to support your appeal such as a letter from any doctor you have seen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure