BT - very frustrating!

porlock
porlock Posts: 190 Forumite
edited 30 June 2009 at 2:26PM in Consumer rights
We have been with BT for our TV, Broadband & phone for the last 18 months. We moved in May, and called BT to update our details. My partner did this, and frustratingly, they insisted that they could only update us if we signed up to the phone line for another 12 months, and the broadband for another three, which he agreed to (in the midst of all the stress of moving, it was easier not cause a fuss, he says).

So we moved in, and got everything set up. The broadband is very unreliable, dropping out frequently meaning that using services like iPlayer is often not possible. It also takes a long to connect.

The TV is a real saga. When we set it up, the BT Vision box only picked up BBC Channels, and if you're 'lucky' ITV2 + 1, Dave ja vu and 4 Music. We have phoned up several times and re-scanned for channels with the arial out, re-scanned for channels with the arial in, again and again with no luck. They agreed to send someone over - we both work so this took a while. The guy never came. So we arranged it again, and the guy turned up, said, 'buy this arial booster, and you'll be sorted' and left. Needless to say, it didn't work. I called BT Sunday night to arrange another visit, and they took me through the re-scan again. At this point, the system crashed and lost us all of our channels! I called back to fix this, which they did, but by that time Top Gear was on and I was fed up with them, so never got around to addressing my initial problem!

Yesterday, I tried a different approach and called BT to ask about cancelling. They asked why, I said that their service was appalling and didn't work, and the guy on the phone said 'OK' and gave me some figures!

We have made some further enquiries to Virgin and Sky to see what it would cost us to use them for TV & Broadband, but as we are still paying BT for our phone service, this all works out a lot more expensive.

I understand that we might have a case on the grounds that BT are not providign the service as in our contract, so we should not be kept to it, but as I pointed out, the only contract we are in with them is for the phone, and that is fine (although we've only ever used it to call BT! We just need it for the broadband & TV).

All in all, what we want to achieve is either a full, working TV service from BT or freedom from their phone contract.

There's a lot of info here so would be happy to clarify anything - just really want some advice!

Comments

• isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,

Not sure about the broadband ... but in terms of BT vision - well it is not BT vision - it is your TV reception ...

We have exactly the same issues as you .... we get very few freeview channels & have BT Vision .... when we took out BT Vision, we got quite a lot of channels ... but at the beginning of this year Channel 5 was turned off & we lost loads of channels.

I would suggest you do a search for freeview & put your postcode in there to see what channels you should be getting.

Look at http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/reception.html for advice & http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ to see what channels you can get.

BT Vision can only provide the freeview channels that your ariel can pick up.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ABH_3
    ABH_3 Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    porlock wrote: »
    We have been with BT for our TV, Broadband & phone for the last 18 months.

Advice on complaints is here: http://www.otelo.org.uk/pages/4howtocomplain.php

IIRC you can use a BT line with SkyTV and their own internet provider. Or you could give it all up, and move to VirginMedia of course. It should be noted however, that you have more choices with a BT line with ADSL provision, so you can theoretically at least sample and move on until you're happy.

HTH
    It could have been worse. At least source code's not combustible, or you can bet somebody at McAfee would have lit it.
  • isplumm
    ABH wrote: »
    Advice on complaints is here: http://www.otelo.org.uk/pages/4howtocomplain.php

IIRC you can use a BT line with SkyTV and their own internet provider. Or you could give it all up, and move to VirginMedia of course. It should be noted however, that you have more choices with a BT line with ADSL provision, so you can theoretically at least sample and move on until you're happy.

HTH

Hi,

I don't see how they can complain about the BT Vision - that is to do with ariel & reception for freeview ... it is not BT vision that is at fault ...

Agree about the broadband .... I would put something in the technical section of this forum ... see if someone can help?

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • porlock
    porlock Posts: 190 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice.

I think really what it boils to is the fact that our TV doesn't work, but because we are stuck with the phone contract, we can't afford to get a TV package (like Virgin) that will work (we are in a cable area for them) as it will end up costing a lot more than if we were getting all services from one provider.

Is there any basis, with these facts, to try and get our BT contract terminated at no cost, even though the contract relates to the one service that does work (but we otherwise wouldn't use!)
  • isplumm
    Thanks for the advice.

I think really what it boils to is the fact that our TV doesn't work, but because we are stuck with the phone contract, we can't afford to get a TV package (like Virgin) that will work (we are in a cable area for them) as it will end up costing a lot more than if we were getting all services from one provider.

Is there any basis, with these facts, to try and get our BT contract terminated at no cost, even though the contract relates to the one service that does work (but we otherwise wouldn't use!)

Hi,

I don't think that you can do much about the phone or tv ... but I would certainately be pushing back against the broadband .... for example did they really tell you that you had to sign a 3 year contract ... that is quite long. I would be noting down when you called them, who you spoke to & what their advice was ... because if it is not of satisfactory quality ... you MAY be able to cancel .... maybe talk to CA??

Mark
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    I understood the OP has a 3 month contract, not 3 years :confused:

Can you not terminate the BT TV & broadband, & switch to sky?
  • ABH_3
    Thanks for the advice.

I think really what it boils to is the fact that our TV doesn't work, but because we are stuck with the phone contract, we can't afford to get a TV package (like Virgin) that will work

There's an 'accepted' resolution plan for BT services, or at least those that fall under the 'BT' umbrella, it goes something like this:

1) Complain to BT about what you're upset about via telephone if possible, or writing if not.

a) give them an opportunity to put the issue right.

2) If the issue is still not solved, complain Again!

b) sounds like a waste of time I agree, however before ofcom, otelo or whoever will get involved they will expect you to have gone through the 'hosts complaints procedure' at least once, or given them what they refer to as 'ample opportunity to solve the problem', which essentially means a couple of chances at least.

3) Complain to Ofcom, Otelo explaining that you've been through the BT complaints procedure, you've got written records, evidence to support this ie: copies of anything that BT has sent or issued even temporarily to you. Photocopy it, include it in your complaint 'pack' retaining any originals.

(we are in a cable area for them) as it will end up costing a lot more than if we were getting all services from one provider.
    Be careful with VirginMedia, ensure that you are *ACTUALLY* in a cabled area, and NOT in one of their I forget what it's called now, but they will only be able to supply you with ADSL. If they offer you an ADSL connection - RUN Away! I've yet to see anyone post on any forum or meet anyone gaming who has said 'yeah VM's adsl product is fantastic, such low pings... incredible', they're more likely to say however' fxxxx VM, can't deliver the speed their promised so they ignore all complaints, then when I finally do get through I tell them I want out of my contract, they say 'yes sir' then I get a bill for 'the remainder of the contract, as I signed up for x number of months I've been with them x number of years, how can they do this?' - that's a pretty regular complaint, lots of people complain they ignore their consumer rights, instead just blunder on as they usually do. I am however on one of their Cable Product lines and when it works, it's great, when it doesn't 'tech support' = knightmare!

Sure, if you made plain at the time you took out the contract that you are only accepting the phone, 'cos it's free with the tv. Can't see why not, especially if they can't honour their guarantee to provision you with a suitable stable service. Noone would afterall pay for something they're not receiving, so after giving BT ample opportunity to solve the problem submit your complaint to Otelo if you want, or draft a quick letter stating that you no longer feel confident that BT can deliver what they've promised and as a consequence you would wish to be released from your contract, also ask for your migration code for the broadband as you would like to move it to another service.

Also, as you're moving, be sure to sort your email addresses out. If you're using a bt provided one, then be sure to advise your friends\relatives of the fact before you move. Tell them the acount will no longer be active and to use another or temporary ie: gmail\hotmail one. Better yet, get a redirection service like www.bigfoot.com ie: [EMAIL="me@bigfoot.com"]me@bigfoot.com[/EMAIL] would possibly direct to [EMAIL="whatever@btopen.com"]whatever@btopen.com[/EMAIL] or when you move you log into bigfoot and change it to your new address, so you never have the problem of changing addresses etc again.

HTH
    It could have been worse. At least source code's not combustible, or you can bet somebody at McAfee would have lit it.
  • isplumm
    sooz wrote: »
    I understood the OP has a 3 month contract, not 3 years :confused:

Can you not terminate the BT TV & broadband, & switch to sky?

Hmmm ... well the OP wrote "phone line for another 12 months, and the broadband for another three" .... I read that to be three years ... but I think you are right ...

If that is the case, I would cancel the broadband once the 3 months is up ... take the Virgin broadband service .... maybe with TV package & then at the end of the 12 months cancel the phone.

BT vision works out at about £7 for the basic package ...

Mark
  • isplumm
    ABH wrote: »

Sure, if you made plain at the time you took out the contract that you are only accepting the phone, 'cos it's free with the tv. Can't see why not, especially if they can't honour their guarantee to provision you with a suitable stable service. Noone would afterall pay for something they're not receiving, so after giving BT ample opportunity to solve the problem submit your complaint to Otelo if you want, or draft a quick letter stating that you no longer feel confident that BT can deliver what they've promised and as a consequence you would wish to be released from your contract, also ask for your migration code for the broadband as you would like to move it to another service.

HTH

That would work with tht broadband .... but the TV is nothing to do with BT, it is down to the OPs TV reception ... also I am sure that if they check their bill they will find they are being charged for TV, telephone & broadband separately.

Mark
  • ABH_3
    isplumm wrote: »
    That would work with tht broadband .... but the TV is nothing to do with BT, it is down to the OPs TV reception ... also I am sure that if they check their bill they will find they are being charged for TV, telephone & broadband separately.

Mark

I must admit I don't know that much about the BT Tv product, infact if I'm honest I don't know anything. However, if they've promised the OP a service and they're not getting that service, then obviously they're going to complain. If the OP requires a suitable aeriel upgrade, then surely this would be IN with the package price that BT charge?

If not, then aren't they leaving themselves open to alot of unecessary complaints when all they would need to do is send 1 man up a ladder to fit a suitable aeriel? Or confirm whether the aeriel would do the job, I believe they could do this from the ground, just by looking up :rolleyes:;):D

Its not the OP's job to determine if they have the right equipment, surely it's BT's job to ensure that they provide the right equipment to provision the customer with what they need to supply the contracted service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure