Sky Voice and Broadband Network

edited 29 June 2009 at 2:42PM in Broadband & Internet Access
1 reply 1.3K views
rtboycertboyce Forumite
5 Posts
edited 29 June 2009 at 2:42PM in Broadband & Internet Access
The Sky magazine includes a leaflet saying that customers getting broadband, Sky Talk and line rental from Sky will soon be moved to a new network with new terms and conditions, unless the customer opts out.

The leaflet gives a stark warning that accepting the transfer will make it very awkward to make changes to any services, because you'd have to be transferred back to the old network with possible loss of internet access for 10 days.

The leaflet lists no benefits in exchange for these problems. Sky simply says that they'll inform customers of any benefits later, presumably after the time to opt out has expired.

You have until 1st August to opt out. See www1.sky.com/newnetwork/tandcs.html . Presumably, another option would be to cancel one or more of the three services, such as going back to BT line rental.

Now the question I have is why on Earth would anyone sensible not opt out? Why would anyone want to lose the ability to seamlessly switch services or service providers, if the terms and conditions change again?

I'm not going to opt out immediately because I don't trust Sky's opt out system to be working properly yet. I'd like to get some feedback from others who have done it. In particular, I'd like to know if the opt outs are being acknowledged by Sky. I'm worried that I'll be switched over anyway. Presumably, if one opts out, one can opt back in at a future time, if there's an incentive.

It does look like Sky have lost the plot on this one.

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals