July 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 June 2009 at 9:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
924 replies 70.3K views

Replies

• barneydee_2barneydee_2 Forumite
    318 posts
    Hi like you i work for a supermarket (mr S) and i think that i end up giving most of my wages back to him.This month i am going to try cutting back to £150.oo for everything i am going to keep a spending diary.This can easily be acived as my freezer and cupboards are fit to burst, mind it is going to be hard to walk past all those bargins, i think i will leave my debit card at home and only have enough cash for my fares to and from work.
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • kipperskippers Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say good luck. There is so much info on this board and the people are wonderful....soon you'll be hooked on money saving like the rest of us
    :j :j :j :j :j
  • Morning all ( very tired after my late night postings,

Been very MSE already this morning, for breakfast I nabbed some of the OH's bran flakes, and had a glass of squash.

Will get the inventory done this afternoon and up on here asap...I had a quick ganders this morning at the freezers, and erm im slightly proud, but also slightly cross at myself, honestly all that money sitting in the freezer.

Thank you for the window cleaning tip,will deffo give that a try, I do buy the cheapest bleaches possible ( do I really need flavoured bleach? ) and am a very big soda crystal fan. Its washing powder that I find the big expense
    Kent Bird!:beer:
  • Essex-girl_2Essex-girl_2 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    I read an article in a magazine which tested all bleachs and confirmed that the cheapest one was as good as the most expensive. Re washing powder I just pick up the ones that are on special and if its a really good bargain then I stock up quite a lot. (At the moment I have 6 large boxes of surf that were half price)

Some OSlyrs stretch their washing powder with soda crystals, some make their own - have a look through the indexed collections. Oh and I only ever use half the recommended amount - works fine for me.
  • SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do a lot of washing (see signature!) and always buy when it's on offer. Look in places like Netto & Home Bargains and I can also highly reccommend Aldi's own washing powder/tablets. I'm currently using a 100 wash box of Ariel that I got in Netto for £11.99 a couple of weeks ago ;) This would obviously last you a lot longer than it does me so it'd be worth looking out for the offers :D

I second the cleaning materials ideas. I use bleach, vinegar and washing up liquid with Stardrops for the floors.

Hope this helps I'm looking forward to reading your progress :T
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • cyclingyorkiecyclingyorkie Forumite
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    how much washing powder do you get through?

I used to use tons of Persil - family of 5...2 of whom play cricket = lot of washing. However this is what I do now:-

1. I'm in a hard water area so I put my magnoball in with each wash. It uses magnet technology to soften the water inside the machine...so I use less detergent.

2. A chance conversation with a friend who had just had her machine repaired gave me a second bit of money saving wisdom - if your machine's dispenser drawer clogs up with powder then the rest of your machine will be clogged too! This can be avoided by putting the powder in a dosing ball in the machine. You will need to use less powder to get the same results!

3.Own brands seem to work just as well - I moved over to a liquid detergent - started with Persil, then on the advice of a fervent M&S addict I tried their liquid for colours which was fab. The clincher was that it was regularly BOGOF - ie half price! I used to stock up when it was on offer!

4. It seems to have been replaced by a gel - which doesn't seem to be the same good value to me so I tried both Sainsbury's and Morrisons - both work well.

5. I've further cut down on detergent by putting some 'dolly washing balls' in my machine with each load.

6. I've got some of the Ariel gel for cricket gear - why must men spend all their time diving on grass? - it's fine....but I tried it on towels in a hot wash - and there were so many suds I had to use a couple of extra rinse cycles! So - note to self - if I increase the temp of the wash I MUST reduce the amount of detergent i put in!

Hope this helps!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • ellawoodellawood Forumite
    222 posts
    As there are only 2 and you say washing powder is a lot do you wash thing that are not dirty but just need to fresh up my dd1 wears things for say 1hr and changes and put them in the wash basket I look and sometimes just fold and put away if not marked or anything and then when I sort washing things which are not very dirty I use a lot less powder and use soda cystals the lowest my washer will go is 30 and has no short wash sadly I use tesco value aswell for stains I use powder with loads of soda cystals and soak thing overnight if I have to HTH
  • thriftmonsterthriftmonster Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    For grass stains and other horrible stains I do a couple of things. One is a tip from the tightwad gazette and that's once the machine is full of soapy water turn it off and let it sit for half an hour. Turn back on to resume cycle. I also swear by Biotex - either in with the powder or used as a presoak - it's about £1.80 a box but very effective
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K posts
    Try using soap nuts instead of washing powder, they're more environmentally friendly and you can use them 2 or 3 times.
    For cleaning windows it's just soapy water then to polish them, scrunched up newspaper (the freebies) work better.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food; £60 per month ( to include all breakfasts, lunches and dinners for self and OH )
    Cleaning £10 per month ( to include washing powders, bleaches, window cleaners etc )

Take a look at these threads:

Save zillions on cleaning products

July Grocery Challenge

I'll add this thread to the grocery challenge later, as you'll get plenty of support from the regulars on there to stick to your budget ;)

Good luck :T

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf: