PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Little_Muvva
    Little_Muvva Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm new to this so going to take it slow! Old habits die hard! I currently spend £115 per week on average so will commit to £110 to start with and see how low I can get it. The saving will be put towards credit card debt of £1,000 which was to pay towards my son's wedding. This means I'm up for £550 this month.
    1/1/10 total debt £4,311. Debt today £1,082
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all, just popped in to update signature and catch up on threads,

spent a total of £39.03 between home bargains, Mr M and Mr T.
    Managed to get some of the 87p milk from Mr T.
    Was planning on visiting Aldi today but ran out of time, plan to go in next week or so.
    Signature updated.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm back from my shopping trip and I did quite well. Just for fun, I decided to check how my shopping compares to what I could have got in Sainsbury (where I normally shop).

In Sainsbury
    400g Mediterranean bread-£1.39
    Cherry tomatoes-£0.99
    10 pitta bread-£1.30
    Cucumbers-£2.10
    Houmous-£0.99
    500g Red Lentils-£0.88
    500g popping corn £0.52
    Plum tomatoes-£1.49
    6 large oranges-£2.40
    £12.06

The Turkish supermarket I went to
    400g Sesame seed bread £0.60
    270g plum cherry tomatoes £0.39
    10 large pitta bread £0.58
    860g mini cucumbers £1.12
    Houmous £0.85
    500g red lentils £1.29
    500g popping corn £0.69
    500g plum vine tomatoes £0.45
    6 large oranges £1
    £6.97

And although the popping corn and lentils were more expensive, the last three deliveries and every time I have gone into my local sainsbury I have been unable to find them, so feel they were justified. The difference is quite astounding and I would have probably bought more if I could have carried it!

My trip also included a little look into the new sweet shop, where I could quite happily have bought the entire shop! As it was, I limited myself to some a quarter of barley sugar for myself, a quarter of cola cubes for my sister and some giant fried eggs for my boyfriend which came to £2.68. Just going to update now.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Got to add £21.48 - OH just bought some wine and vodka.

Nice weekend planned

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • little_miss_moneysaver_3
    Options
    Phew i've done my big shop for the month. Have to sit down and have look at what comes under groceries then update my siggy. Am trying to do my monthly meal planner but this month an running out of inspriration. All I can think of is lettuce :(
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    £160 for July Please! We are in process of moving house so we will need to do some running down then restocking!! So far I have spent £26.71 and we have pretty much everything in to last us the week (or more!) although i may end up buying veg at CB on sunday... :o
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi everyone, it's cooler here and more bearable, but I still don't feel like cooking so we had some tortellini out of the freezer courtesy of MR S tonight! I did my weekly shop this morning after taking DD1 home - she is better now and able to look after herself - it looks like it was a kidney stone and not appendicitis after all.

I managed to spend about £28 on groceries(at Mrs S) and that included some extras not on my list - prawns and smoked mackerel and some poppy seed rolls. They are doing lots of offers on milk - Cravendale was on special for those of you who like it as was some of their own brand organic milk, but I stuck to my favourite 1% fat at £1 for 2 litres.

Can't seem to get my brain in gear to do proper meal plans at the moment as am in holiday mode and still reeling from a disrupted week looking after DD1. Must get myself back on track as I have spent 2/3rd of my July budget already - off to update my sig and think hard about what to do next!

Keep up the good work everyone and stay cool.

Love Moniker
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all - I would really like to join in if I can :dance:. Please could I be put down for £100 for July.

This is for myself and my son (2.5years old) and one cat. This will include any baby things (shampoo, baby bath, pull ups etc), cleaning things (wul, washing powder, bleach etc), cat stuffs and any toiletries for myself.

Saying that I think I will end up blowing it cos I have a BBQ planned for the weekend as I have 3 adults (and maybe a dog) visiting but I will try my best :D
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • nickynoo08
    nickynoo08 Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did my first shop of the month yesterday, just a quick top up shop as my freezer is still pretty full. Only thing i need to get is bread and a few bits of veg now
    Total spent - £23.56
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • MoneyQueen
    MoneyQueen Posts: 927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also did my first shop yesterday. Had gone to Costco and then some bits from Asda - Total spend £14.62

Just need to buy some fruit

I also have planned meals for next week... Now just need to do some cooking :rolleyes:

MQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport