Credit Card Reward Schemes Discussion Area

12345679»

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I currently use a Tesco credit card and pay this off in full every month.

Is there something better I could be using?

I probably spent about £200 a month on a credit card.

I understand cash back schemes etc aren't as good as they used to be hence probably staying put!

Thanks

Do you predominantly use your Tesco Clubcard credit card within a Tesco store? Or at other retailers?

I only ask as you can "boost" your Clubcard vouchers to maximise your rewards. In-store spending accrues more "points" (due to the EU Interchange ruling you only get 1 point per £8 out-of-store spend now).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    The operator was apologetic but said all new applicants are given this limit for review after 6 months! I asked for the application to be cancelled and she agreed.
    Sounds like they were fobbing you off, as you say a limit that low is useless for most people. I got a limit of about £3k on application about a year ago.

Do you have a lot of credit or anything adverse in your credit file?
  • dj1471 wrote: »
    Sounds like they were fobbing you off, as you say a limit that low is useless for most people. I got a limit of about £3k on application about a year ago.

Seeing as you have asked I have gone back to the Asda site and noted that they have a connection to a credit agency called Noodle. I have entered my details and that has produced my personal report. My credit rating is 5/5 and my credit score 685 which falls towards the top end of the Excellent category. So my low limit has got nothing to do with any perceived risk!
  • dj1471 wrote: »

My wife has also now applied for the Asda card with me as secondary card holder. Her credit rating is in the same area as mine but she has a much lower annual income. Guess what...she has been given a £5000 credit limit! We'll use that one from now on. Sorry HSBC.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    good outcome then.. glad it has worked out.
  • JHC
    JHC Posts: 20 Forumite
    A small point to note when applying for credit cards is that the issuer of the card may be a completely different company, which may be significant to you in some cases. For example the M&S credit card is actually issued by HSBC, though this isn't obvious in their literature.
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    JHC wrote: »
    A small point to note when applying for credit cards is that the issuer of the card may be a completely different company, which may be significant to you in some cases. For example the M&S credit card is actually issued by HSBC, though this isn't obvious in their literature.

Just had a letter from M& S they are reducing the number of reward points you get when using their credit card anywhere other than M &S stores.

It used to be 1 point for e very £2 spent but now is 1 point for every £5 .The rewards for spending in M & S remains the same.

Apparently this is as a result of a EU directive reducing the amount a bank can charge a retailer for using credit cards.

No doubt the reduction will see a lowering of prices in shops, I think not!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure