Are we the only couple who can't afford a holiday?

Options

Comments

• gratefulforhelp_2
    Options
    We are holidaying in the garden this year!
    Please do not confuse me with other gratefulsforhelp. x
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Look at it this way, many of the people who do go away on exotic holidays cannot afford a holiday either :eek:

Very judgemental and probably not true , you could look at it another way and say those who do go can because they are not in debt?
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    we havent been away for 3 years and we wont be going this year either. I had saved some money for a holiday, but then we had a leak on the roof and nearly all the money will have to go towards that :mad:

in all honesty I think previous holidays abroad have contributed to our debts and its been really hard trying to stop OH booking another until we are debt free
  • LittleMissInDebt
    Options
    This time of year always annoys me as its all you hear people talk about I.E going on holiday, so I suppose I just want to know that we are not alone in that we can't afford a holiday:o

No you're not alone. OH was talking about going to visit his dad and camping, I don't want to camp (being pregnant and having three other children) but my suggestion of a caravan was met with a "how we going to pay for it", and much as I hate to admit it, he's right! The last few years have been pretty much holidayless, but am hoping to win the lottery and spend the rest of my life on holiday :rotfl:

I just remind myself it could always be worse!
    LittleMissInDebt
  • LittleMissInDebt
    Options
    We are holidaying in the garden this year!

I think I''ll send the kids out into the garden with my tent - tell them the same thing :D
    LittleMissInDebt
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They will love it in a tent in the garden. Packed lunches, torches etc

That is the sort of adventure that my 3 grown up children remember from their childhood days. They still talk about those times
  • lmclean100
    lmclean100 Posts: 192 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2009 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Hi

I didn't have a holiday until I was 22 and went with my boyfriend. My mum couldn't afford to take us on holiday when I was young (my Dad died when I was 3), as there was five of us, I'm the youngest.

My next holiday was when I was 35 and went with my sister to visit my niece who was serving with the Army in Germany. And my last holiday was four years ago (aged 44) when I went to Canada with friends.

Yes, I enjoyed my holidays but I couldn't wait to get home. I missed my animals and felt guilty about the jobs around the house that I hadn't done.

Not planning on havig any more holidays for quite a long time, can't afford it and now mum has got Alzheimers and I can't leave her overnight. She won't stay with my sisters (don't know why).

Still, there are lots of things to do in the garden, I've got to paint the fence, the Shed and the gate. Mega amounts of weeding (why do the weeds grow faster than the plants:confused:) Also got to decorate the bathroom, living room and kitchen.

On thinking about it, life is too busy to have a holiday! :rotfl:

L
    Getting there, slowly but I WILL be debt free before I retire :dance:
  • jennyo
    jennyo Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    I always feel guilty this time of year as friends take their children to foreign locations and we end up camping but I do think I'm the only person concerned about this as once we reach the campsite the kids love it and make new friends and have some freedom which we probably couldn't let them have abroad, is camping an option? you have to be careful with sites as some are pricey but you can get some bargains. I also get sick of people asking if we are going away when we have time off work!!! Surely people are allowed to just put holidays in and have day trips around where they live!!

Don't feel guilty, when my children were young we always went camping around the english coast, they are all grown up now and talk of those holidays as loving them, think location doesn't really matter much to children, its the time spent doing things with parents they don't normally do and of course a beach.
    Debt Free Dec 2009
    non-smoker 19th Nov 2010
    Trying to lose weight 40lb/42lb

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't enjoy holidays :confused:

I love my own bed, I love being in my own house, I enjoy a day out somewhere different but like knowing that I'm going home at the end of it.

I just don't get the pleasure out of holidays that some people seem to, to me, being at home with my family, being able to do as we please is worth far more than spending vast fortunes on something everyone else feels I should enjoy. Luckily all my family are just as happy as I am to stay at home.

I get sick of having to justify myself to people when they ask why we're not going away.

But to those of you who do enjoy them - fantastic - life's all about diversity......I won't understand your need to spend so much money on a week or two and in return I don't ask you to understand my reasonings....it's what makes the world go round.

:D
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • izzybusy23
    izzybusy23 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    I am going on holiday this year, but to Kentucky, USA to stay with my parents. Free food and board with a few trips planned... and this year is definately the last for some time as my daughter starts school this September and we simply won't be able to afford school holiday prices. It will be camping and Sun holidays for us from 2010.

I was getting the collywobbles about spending money on a holiday this year and part of me wanted to pull out but unfortunately the airline doesn't refund airfare so we are going just so we don't lose our money really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure