Are we the only couple who can't afford a holiday?

Options

Comments

• mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I am totally honest I would love to jet off somewhere hot and sunny with OH and the kids for 2 weeks. We did that a couple of years ago and at the time it was great but this is now one of the debts sitting on one of my credit cards. Very very stupid.

Holidays for us are short breaks in this country either camping or youth hostelling using Tesco vouchers. We take our own food, dont eat out or go to the pub and do lots of research before we go so that we can find fun, low cost things for the kids to do. By doing this 2 or 3 times a year for 3 or 4 nights at a go the cost is manageable. I think that if you are lucky enough to be able to find a bit of spare cash its good to spend some quality time together.

I have also discovered that if you dont spend a fortune on a holiday you dont feel under pressure to enjoy it as much. If the weathers bad and the accommodation isnt great you dont mind so much if it hardly cost anything.

Good for you - I did exactly this when our kids were little - spending time together and trying something new is the thing. I think youth hostels nowadays are just about the best value you could ever wish for - Hartington Hall near Buxton is like a stately home - and if you take bikes, there's the Tissington trail to explore, lots of lovely walks - and even little Elmscott youth hostel on the North Devon coast is in the most stunning place you could ever hope to find - the hostels have changed beyond recognition in the past decade - and I think they deserve our support - one of the best-kept secrets around!!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah, too right, maybe we should keep it quiet! Its all about making the best of things on the budget you have. I used to be embarrassed about telling friends and workmates I was staying in a Youth Hostel on my hols but I bet alot of people would be surprised at how good they are. At the end of the day I dont want to live in a fantasy world any more, pretending I can afford stuff that I cant. Thats what got me into debt in the first place.
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Noooooo, dont get me looking on the YHA website. I will want to book something - and I havent saved enough Tesco vouchers yet!!!!!Then again I might just go on and have a little dream about where we are going to go next time.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Today has just reminded me why I don't go on holidays, I hate the heat, today is killing me :(

sdc10385c.jpg
  • Meenu
    Meenu Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    I got 2 really cheap holidays off teletext-:
    1st a week in tunisia 3star 99 half board, spent 36 pounds in the whole week and saw the sahara
    2nd holiday- 21/2 weeks in India £229 spent £50 Half board
    When you ring just ask them they can be quite helpful and there are free phones maybe give them at try if you
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've always fancied sitting around a pool all day having a few ice cold beers, then in the evening out for dinner at one of them nice little outdoor cafes/restaurants watching the world go by, having a few more beers and listening to some nice traditional Spanish music.. Ahhh bliss. But in reality the hassle that would cause wouldn't be worth the effort, I mean we are getting things really tight at the min, it would involve living on beans and toast for a year and even at that we maybe still wouldn't be able to afford it.
  • mellywoo
    mellywoo Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do agree it is usually all down to priorities, we live very, very cheaply, search out all the bargains for absolutely everything we need, still eat well but eat whatever is in the supermarket reduced cabinet and freeze it or BOGOF,don't smoke or go out for meals , or have takeaways, kids don't do anything except Scouts,expensive tv subscriptions etc etc.We get free Broadband. I save on everything I possibly can.That is why we can afford breaks away.There are some people around me are saying they can't go away and make me feel bad because I am but they forget about all the things they actually do that we don't. I constantly budget ,We would rather have a break away with they kids and spend quality uninterupted time than us all do something seperately as is the case of a few people. Some people seem blind to all the things they actually do and still plead poverty.Not all people though I may add just a minority.
  • Buddingblonde
    Options
    I havent had a holiday since I was 15 apart from 3 days in York 4 years ago - I am 34.
    This is the first year that I might be able to afford a break with OH (we have been together 7 years) but there is so much needing doing in the house - we currently have half a bathroom and we are still paying off a family member for new central heating that we needed last year.
    I have booked a fortnight off in august so I will have to decide soon what we are doing.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If you have a garden then you can recreate that holiday atmosphere when the weather is good (and it is forecast good for this summer). recliner chair or beach towel, cold beer or cocktails, a little holiday type music playing (but not so loud as to annoy the neighbours), a good book to read, listen to the birds singing, get the kids' paddling pool out and have a splash around in it......maybe have your main meal of the day outdoors, something barbecued with salad and fruit and icecream......who needs the Costa Packet when the weather is good here? And no traffic jams or airport hassle either.
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport