PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frozen yoghurt

Options
Has anyone tried making this in their ice cream maker and has a recipe/tips? I have a yoghurt maker so i thought this might be a healthier and cheape ralternative for the family this summer.

Comments

• Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have an ice cream maker so I've never tried it but this recipe looks delicious.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    ness_w wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making this in their ice cream maker and has a recipe/tips? I have a yoghurt maker so i thought this might be a healthier and cheape ralternative for the family this summer.

ness - yes I have, and it works fine. I have a simple Magimix ice-cream maker. All I do is mix pureed fresh fruit (strawberries from the garden at the moment) with thick creamy (Greek) yoghurt and add some sugar to taste, then run it in the ice-cream maker. I love it myself, butt DH finds it too healthy...... :-) If you are using home-made yoghurt, add some cream to the milk and a little extra milk powder to make it extra thick and creamy. The ice-cream will still be healthier than the egg yolk/cream variety.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I don't have an ice cream maker so I've never tried it but this recipe looks delicious.

Thanks for the link, this site looks fab as a recipe resource, I've bookmarked it.:D
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know there are a number of older posts on this but none of them has the answer: I had lunch in a pub today and had frozen yoghurt with berries scattered on it, but it seemed to be much fluffier than it would be if you just froze it - does anyone know how you would get it like that ? I thought of adding a bit of whipped egg white, but not sure if that would work - any ideas most gratefully received as it would be sooooo cheap to do with a litre of Easiyo......yum !
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    I am guessing here but it could have been churned in an icecream maker to make it smooth - or even aerated in some commercial way. If you put some in the freezer and whisked/processed it every hour between putting it in and it being fully frozen that might help it be smoother and less brick-like.
  • I've got a feeling the answer might be all too simple, but when i looked it up It seems like you have to have an ice cream maker.

can i just bung a pot in the freezer or will that not be the same?

i read something about having to stir it continuously to stop it separating or crystalising.

any ideas?
    It only takes a second to say 'Thanks, you just saved me a few quid!'

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge June
    Toiletries used up- 4 Makeup used up- 2
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello OP,

I read something about this - if you don't have an ice cream maker, most ice cream recipes tell you to put the mixture into a flattish dish in the freezer. Keep an eye on it and when it starts to crystallise, take it out and beat it. Do this again and again until it's totally frozen.

Sounds like hard work but HTH!

MsB
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It won't be the same, but as kids we used to just bung a pot of flavoured yoghurt in the freezer, then pop it out and eat it like a lolly. The containers were slightly cone shaped, so if you turned it upside down the pot worked like an icecream cone to hold it, at least until it started melting and plopped back inside, at which point a spoon was useful!

It was quite crystallised, but because it is quite dense it was nice anyway!

I recently made yoghurt ice-cream with a very rich ice-cream recipe made more palatable by the addition of a large pot of plain greek yoghurt.

Measurements are wonderfully approximate!
    6 egg whites, beaten until fluffy
    300ml (approx) of double or whipping cream, beaten to thick pouring consistency
    1 standard tin of condensed milk (I often use a bit less as it can be too sweet)
    vanilla or other essence to taste (half a teaspoon is about right)
    1 large tub of greek, plain or flavoured yoghurt to taste.
    Also good with other flavourings - anything you fancy such as creamy liqueurs, chocolate, sweets, dried fruit and nuts, etc etc!

Mix condensed milk with beaten cream. Add in flavourings, yoghurt and/or anything else you fancy. Fold in beaten egg whites. Depending on additions, this usually fits easily in a 2 litre tub with space for stirring.

Place in freezer. After about an hour, stir well every 30 - 60 mins, making sure any frozen bits at the edge are well mixed in. The stirring is most important towards the end of the freezing, so don't do this at night unless you want ice crystals!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Never_Enough_Money
    Options
    Hi

I have just taken delivery of my John Lewis ice cream maker which dd has been eagerly awaiting for a week. I was disappointed to see that there are no recipes at all with it. I wondered if anyone has any tried and tested easy recipes that they would be kind enough to share that we could try. The plan is to get it in the freezer overnight and get any ingredients after work, and go for it.

Thanks
  • aliadds
    aliadds Posts: 26,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's an easy one for banana ice cream! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9963/quick-banana-ice-cream
    Less is more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport