Tesco - Parent/Child + disabled car spaces

Options

Comments

• Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jez_Wolf wrote: »
    As I understand it, on private land - Disabled bays and Parent & Child spaces have no legal standing.

There is a legal standing but the car park owner has to seek damages through the civil courts. The owner of the car park could argue that a contract has been entered into to pay a certain charge if a driver parks in a certain bay. It's hard to enforce though because the car park owner needs to sue the driver who might not be the registered owner and the registered owner doesn't have to tell them who was driving.
  • advent1122
    advent1122 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    It's not about walking. If you park up in a P&C space, you normally have the relevant trollies nearby. So you grab a trolley, place it next to the car, load up with Little Johnnie, then pop around the other side and grab Little Daisy.

The alternative is that you unbuckle Johnnie, try and hold onto him whilst he's trying to escape into the traffic, try and unbuckle Daisy whilst trying to hold Johnnie against the car with your leg.

That is why god gave you 2 hands. One for Johnie and one for Daisy.
    So you are telling me that if the P&C spaces were at the other end of the car park, with the relevent trolleys nearby, then Mrs Chav in her Corsa, with 2 kids by 3 different fathers would use them?
  • advent1122
    advent1122 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    have you ever tried getting a child seat out of the back of a car? Well you aren't going to manage it with barely a foot of space that you get in most car parks.

Yes I know, that is why I park on the other side of the car park, where there is lots & lots & lots of space.
    Granted, it might be a 30 second walk to the entrance but my car is ding free.
  • Jez_Wolf
    Jez_Wolf Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Pound wrote: »
    There is a legal standing but the car park owner has to seek damages through the civil courts. The owner of the car park could argue that a contract has been entered into to pay a certain charge if a driver parks in a certain bay. It's hard to enforce though because the car park owner needs to sue the driver who might not be the registered owner and the registered owner doesn't have to tell them who was driving.

Just what legal standing for damages exactly - please quote the relevant law.

ACT/SECTION, if you can................
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    personally I fell out with Tesco when I parked there and had some inconsiderate *b* leave a trolley in the car park which scratched my car. Well if a supermarket doesn't do the £1 thing that will happen...hardly Tesco's fault. But if you look at the behaviour of many people (not all - but many) as they go about their daily business with the 'I am important' attitude it's not hard to see why people just don't bother...
    just like the person who told me that since she paid council tax she expected all her rubbish to be taken by the council and not to have to use the recycling bins...
    totally missing the point.
    Those of us who do consider the feelings of others are in the minority.
    S'not gonna stop me though!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My understanding (though this may not be the legal position) is that if a person parks on private lad they do so at their own risk.
    So dings are NOT the fault of the landowner...
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jez_Wolf wrote: »
    Just what legal standing for damages exactly - please quote the relevant law.

ACT/SECTION, if you can................

I already said all this in my previous post. Damages as in the money the driver agrees to pay for parking in a displayed bay if they're not disabled as displayed on the signage. There's no act to quote because it comes under tort law.
  • remembered_nights
    Options
    advent1122 wrote: »
    That is why god gave you 2 hands. One for Johnie and one for Daisy.
    So you are telling me that if the P&C spaces were at the other end of the car park, with the relevent trolleys nearby, then Mrs Chav in her Corsa, with 2 kids by 3 different fathers would use them?

Let's conveniently forget to mention that 'Daisy and Johnnie' probably have legs 3 times shorter than most adults to walk across the busy carpark. It'll save some selfish adult 30 seconds after all!

Dare I ask about parents with 3 children... presumably god gave them three hands?
  • scrimping_student
    Options
    What annoys me most is that a lot of the time parent and child spaces are closer to the supermarket door than disabled bays!
  • JoolzS
    JoolzS Posts: 824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kernewek wrote: »
    Oh here we go. The parent and child spaces are for people with babies and toddlers and are not necessarily closer to the store but have a wider space in order to get the child in and out of the car more easily.
    Unless your local stores are very, very different to mine, then you have to admit that the parent and child spaces are always closer to the store entrance than most other spaces. For a long time at my local Tesco the parent and child spaces were actually closer than the majority of disabled spaces, which I though was just wrong on so many levels. If it was really just about having a larger space, then why don't the stores mark those spaces out on the far edges of the carpark? If they did that then no-one would have any reason to get upset. The parents with children who need the wider spaces to get their kids out of car seats would always be able to park very easily. The people who dislike, or ignore, parent and child spaces close to the store entrance could just park close to the store. Parents with children who want to park close to the store can also park there, just not in a larger space. Everyone wins.

Julie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family