Tesco - Parent/Child + disabled car spaces

Options
My wife went to Tesco in Helston, Cornwall today with our 8 week old son. Was pouring with rain. She waited for a parent child space and when one came available was promptly barged out of the way by some moron in a big truck 4x4 thing. She confronted the guy and got a load of abuse. He didn't even have a child and so was forced to struggle with a normal space and walk much further with a young baby in pouring rain. On complaining at customer services was met with the response "What do you expect us to do". This is not the first time. We often have problems with people who take these spaces but it is a nightmare trying to get a baby out of a cramped space especially when it is raining. Asda a few miles down the road have a £60 penalty policy, and Sainsburys also have deterrents and it doesn't seem to happen at either. Tesco suggest we use disabled spaces, but don't disabled people need those? There are also plenty of people who abuse these. However, what is the point of having special spaces for people who need them if Tesco aren't prepared to enforce it. Its sad that people are so inconsiderate and such selfish b*St*rds but just as sad that Tesco appear to condone it. :mad:

Comments

• Bowling_4_Gold
    Bowling_4_Gold Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2009 at 7:41PM
    Options
    You could probably get a better response if you complain to head office... Just a thought.

We get a similar problem round our local Tesco Express - People park in the hatched off area (meant for deliveries) so when a delivery does come, the lorry driver has to wait for the people to finish shopping and move their cars. The stupid thing is this area is only about 1-2 meters nearer to the store than the standard spaces. Sheer lazyness
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There really isn't much Tesco can do about it. They can't force someone to get back into their car and park somewhere else and fines on private car parks are essentially unenforceable.
  • kev_min
    kev_min Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Afraid this is a sad reflection of todays society.
    At the worst it is just folks being inconsiderate, the supermarkets do not have to provide special parking for disabled or mums & sprogs at all, they only provide them as a courtesy unlike council car parks who are bound by law to do so, and nor can they fine the inconsiderate folks who abuse them.

I often wonder how we managed before these bonus wide parking slots were invented, probably as a marketing ploy to attract mums & sprogs, but it never stopped me taking my 2 to the shops.

with my 'equality' head on, why should parents with sprogs be treated, or expect, any different treatment in car pars anyway?

now going to find my umbrella to protect me from the downpour of abuse that is bound to follow :)
    At times any combination of my spelling, grammar or punctuation may be incorrect. Please do not pick me up for this as, after all, it is only an internet forum.
  • kernewek
    kernewek Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pound wrote: »
    There really isn't much Tesco can do about it. They can't force someone to get back into their car and park somewhere else and fines on private car parks are essentially unenforceable.

I disagree. Asda have a sign by each space stating a £60 fine for abuse. I don't know whether or not they enforce it but it does the trick
  • kev_min
    Options
    Pound wrote: »

It is about time more folks realised this, maybe then a few of the scammers would go away.

But that is for another thread.......
    At times any combination of my spelling, grammar or punctuation may be incorrect. Please do not pick me up for this as, after all, it is only an internet forum.
  • sporedude
    sporedude Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Options
    Take your keys accross the front of the persons car, Teach them a lesson.
  • kev_min
    Options
    sporedude wrote: »
    Take your keys accross the front of the persons car, Teach them a lesson.

Nice attitude, as I said a sad reflection of todays society......:mad:

There used to be a nice un PC way to describe folks who do that, if i recall correctly it rymes with the name of the thing ships use to park.
  • maggie111
    maggie111 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    If it happened often enough I might be tempted to leave a message suggesting the next time they might get keyed...

Obviously I'd never do it but it's sheer laziness to park in the wrong space.
    I love surprises!
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    Options
    Ok so at the risk of being linched - I work for Tesco and my mum does 2. She is in charge of the carpark (along with other depts) and she gets the boys that work out there to approach people abusing the special bays (be it parent and child, disabled etc). They also used to have stickers that they could attach to the culprits asking them to be more considerate. Our carpark is now slightly different in that it is now owned by Eurocar parks and I dont know if this is the case with your (you would have fixed penilty notices around on big yellow boards) but that makes it worse cos it really is out of Tesco's hands. Saying all that I have a 2 year old and I get really peed off with people using the spaces when they clearly dont need them but I find that scowling and shaking my head makes me feel a whole lot better lol
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    Options
    kernewek wrote: »
    I disagree. Asda have a sign by each space stating a £60 fine for abuse. I don't know whether or not they enforce it but it does the trick

Well it might work for them and nice one too but a "fine" you receive in a public car park isn't worth the paper its printed on.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport