PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Buying - Moneysaving Tips

Options

Comments

• Valeria12
    Options
    Well I am planning to buy home at us in Washington, Can you suggest me the best place there and what is the property rate going on there. I'll wait for your reply.
  • Valeria12
    Options
    I want to purchase a house in US in Washington, can you tell me what is the property rate there. I'll wait for your reply.
  • PPB_2
    Options
    Wow Andrew,

Great advice and help. Very often we understand these things as a logic and we forget that when you just start investing, everyone needs a proper step by step guidance, and your advice really helps here.
    I would also add here - when you are looking for properties trough agency try to look for repossessed properties. Reason is simple - for these properties agent doesn't receive commission but usually just £300-£500 fee, so they are interested to sell them as quick as possible and they wont push the price up.

All the best,
    primepropertybuyers.co.uk
  • AllenMansurian
    Options
    When we buying a house we want to purchase our dream house and I think we deserve that. I want to purchase home in USA in California but I don't have idea about market rates. Can anyone help me out.
  • Smudger78
    Smudger78 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Just found this really useful thread so thought I would post about our situation.

Having been casually looking for over a year we have seen a house which seems to tick all the boxes for us. We are viewing next weekend and have spoken to the agent and got some background on the property. In short the property has been on the market since April but has not sold so has had the asking price reduced twice, initially from £285k to £265k and more recently, when we noticed it to £235k. The sellers are moving to a new build and the developer was that keen to do the deal with them that they stepped in and bought their house so it is the developer now selling the house.

The house looks in good condition from the photos however the garden needs a lot of work as it hasn't got a blade of grass and we'd like a lawn for our son to play on. Also there is a very large garage which takes a lot of space up at the back of the house so we may want to reduce the size of this to increase the size of the garden at the back. My friend is a builder so my plan would be to take him to a second viewing to get his view on the work required reducing the garage and renovating the back garden. The potential cost of this would then obviously influence any offer we make.

Our position is that our house will go on the market in the next week, we've decided to go with house network after reading comments and reviews here and elsewhere. We've also spoken to our bank and have been told the additional lending we'll need wont be an issue so once we've put in our application
    (this week) we should have a "mortgage in principle" from them next week.

So my question really is how would you approach the viewings and potentially making an opening offer? Given that the price of the property has dropped as much as it has do you think the usual 10% rule would apply? I was thinking that depending on the potential cost of work with the garden an opening offer of £220-£222k might be reasonable. I am concerned that the house does now appear to be under priced (having looked on Zoopla etc at sale prices of other properties on street) so could attract a lot of interest. Given this I wouldn't want to miss out by making a ridiculously low offer. Also given our position (need to sell ours before we can buy) the vendor probably wont be willing to accept the offer and take the house off of the market but I guess what I would be looking for would be for them to accept an offer "in principle" - am i being realistic here? Do you think there is any way we would be able to secure the property before selling ours by cutting some kind f deal with the vendor?

Well I was "supposed" to be keeping that short but failed spectacularly so I'll stop now... Any comments/advice would be appreciated

Smudger
  • Joshua_Wilson
    Options
    Thanks Doozergirl, must learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes, a point that I am sure Martin himself will gladly welcome ;)

So, how to sucessfully negotiate with an agent or seller on the property you want, and how to get it for the price (or as near to it) that you want.

Selling or buying a house is ranked amongst one of the most stressful things that one will do throughout their lives. Think about it, you are talking about something that will be where your family memories and possibly members will be born and will bear special meaning to different people. Needless to say it is an immotive time at best.

I do not have all the answers, no-one does as it will vary from property to property, and person to person.

What I can offer however are some tips that I have picked up and still use from the 8 years I spent sat as a broker in an estate agency office.

1) Know Your Budget
    Sounds obvious but there are buyers out there today who have no idea how much it is likely to cost them to buy a home, or what they can afford. Work out what you have coming in, and what you can afford to spend each month including all the household bills.

2) Know What You Can Borrow And It's Cost
    This goes hand in hand with the above. If you aim at nothing, you will hit nothing. Visit or speak to a broker to establish what you are able to borrow, how it works, what's involved and how the costs will fit in with your monthly spending budget. This is the point at which you will know whether your plans are, in fact, do-able.

3) Get The Funding In Place
    If taking a mortgage, get an agreement in principle or mortgage promise from the broker. This will be invaluable when you come to actually begin bidding on a property as you will be taken far more seriously by the agent and seller if your finances have already been agreed. Never forget though that an agreement in principle is only as good as the information you provide to obtain it. Be honest from the start and it will prove worthwhile. Make sure that you have the necessary funds inplace for the deposit, mortgage fees (survey etc) and, as I will move on to, the Legal fees.

4) Get 3 solicitors quotes and decide which one you will use in preparation
    Get at least 3 solicitors quotes based on the figures and budget worked out with your broker. I always suggest 1 Local firm, 1 Distant firm, 1 online form. See how they compare but remember that cheap is not best. Paying a little more could make the difference between a swift trouble free transaction, or having a solicitor who leaves your case till 'tomorrow'. If yu have the solicitor firm in mind, it will benefit you again when bidding.

5) Make Yourself Known To The Agents
    Call the agents on a regular basis. On the desk of every decent sales negotiator there will be a small index card box called his 'hot box'. This is a list of people, usually first time buyers who are looking for property and are ready to proceed. Your aim is to be at the front of his 'hot box'. This requires a certain amount of persistance on the part of you and your broker. Call the agents at least once if not twice a week. Ask if there are any new properties on their books, have any sales fallen through. Get your broker to call and tell the agents that you rmortgage has been approved (in principle) and you are now keenly looking to move ASAP. Don't however let your broker tell the agents how much you can afford. Keep the pressure on the agent to find you somewhere, once they know you are serious you will be the first one to get a call when they have a new instruction.

6) Finding The Property
    Once you have found the property you like, never seem over eager to the agent initially. View it more than once at different times of the day. What seems like a quiet suburban street at mid-day can become a rush hour ratrun at 4.30. The first time you view will be with your heart, the second time will be with your wallet. On the second viewing make sure it is in the evening after the agent has closed. This will allow you to be unhurried and have the current owner on hand to get honest answers to the inevitable questions you will have. The remainder of this bit is, Im afraid, down to you as you are the only one who knows what you are looking for.

7) Pre Offer Information
    Before considering what to offer you need to find out as much about the situation of the seller as possible. Find out if they have found a property. Is the chain above you complete and how long is it. How stable is the chain and how well established is it. Are there any other viewings booked or other offers on the table? Do you think there is any wor needing doing to it? Armed with this information you will then be able to present yur offer in the best possible light to the agent and seller. After all the name of the game is giving the seller what he wants, and that is allowing him to move upwards. It is not always about finances alone.

8) Submitting The Offer
    There are many different schools of thought as to how much you should offer on a property. Never forget that the seller will have a level he needs to achieve to make his move possible, and that he will not have seen blistering increases in the value of his own property, which will reduce the available room for manouver.

This is where i personally take over for the buyer and begin submitting offers to the agent on their behalf. The offer must be presented confidently and with supporting information. Example:
    " Mr & Mrs x have decided that the property 'x' is the one they wish to purchase. They have their funds in place with the mortgage agreed in principle, and are in a position to instruct a solicitor immediately upon the offer being accepted. They are in an excellent position and can close the chain above and get it moving swiftly. Bearing that in mind they wish to offer 'x' subject to the following conditions.
    All future and current viewings are cancelled
    The property is withdrawn from the open market immediately and they have exclusivity over it
    The sold board goes up within 48 hours
    They receive weekly updates on the progress of the chain.

An example of 'the norm' would be something like an asking price of £120,000 with your opening offers beginning at £105,000 - £108,000.

9) Know Your Limit
    Always keep in mind the amount you are prepared to pay for the property. Increase your offers by small increments say £500-£1000 on a value as above. The worst they will say is no. This is the point where it is actually better to ask your broker to bid for you as they agent is then less likely to try to play any 'games' to increase the price. If you are offering yourself it is better to go into the agency office and place the offer in person. You are then more likely to actually witness the offer being put forward to the seller and there will be less likelyhood for mis-trust. It also helps build rapport with the agent.

If you are seen by the agent as serious, they will take you seriously. If you overcome the potential problems such as cost, mortgage etc before you even look, again you will be seen as serious about buying.

Build a relationship with the agent who is selling the property you wish to buy. You want your name to be at the forefront of his mind when he is on his way to value a property suitable. This way you may even get to view it before it goes to the open market.

Once the offer is accepted it is then down to you to fulfill your side of the deal. Instruct the solicitor without delay and get your broker to submit the full mortgage application without delay.

A good broker / solicitor will hold your hand until the day you move in.

This is not a definitive guide and I will add to it when i think of more ideas. However the basic model is something that I have used with all my clients and has, until now, proved very successful.

Hope this helps and apologies for the length of the post

Andy

Really informative, thanks for sharing this. I really had a hard time during my first time buying a home because I have little knowledge on what thing that needs to be done...
  • PaddyMcG
    Options
    My top tip is to do everything you can to make it not about the money. For example I lived near by the flat I was buying so mentioned that, I offerred to clear out the place as they had rented people just move out & leave loads of crap, and I offered to have the surveys done within 48 hours of an offer accepted. I also said I'd have it through in 6 weeks. I heard somebody offered a little more but the flexibility I showed won the deal.

Was it possible to get through in 6 weeks? It might be but it needs two very fast solicitors. I used a good one but theres was so slow so it was easy to blame them. 6 out of 9 weeks in they weren't going to pull out for the sake of a 2k higher offer.
  • petter_2
    Options
    I am not interested in house buildings. I have 2 well decorated flat. I am very happy...!
  • Curtis_E
    Options
    Thanks Doozergirl, must learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes, a point that I am sure Martin himself will gladly welcome ;)

So, how to sucessfully negotiate with an agent or seller on the property you want, and how to get it for the price (or as near to it) that you want.

Selling or buying a house is ranked amongst one of the most stressful things that one will do throughout their lives. Think about it, you are talking about something that will be where your family memories and possibly members will be born and will bear special meaning to different people. Needless to say it is an immotive time at best.

I do not have all the answers, no-one does as it will vary from property to property, and person to person.

What I can offer however are some tips that I have picked up and still use from the 8 years I spent sat as a broker in an estate agency office.

1) Know Your Budget
    Sounds obvious but there are buyers out there today who have no idea how much it is likely to cost them to buy a home, or what they can afford. Work out what you have coming in, and what you can afford to spend each month including all the household bills.

2) Know What You Can Borrow And It's Cost
    This goes hand in hand with the above. If you aim at nothing, you will hit nothing. Visit or speak to a broker to establish what you are able to borrow, how it works, what's involved and how the costs will fit in with your monthly spending budget. This is the point at which you will know whether your plans are, in fact, do-able.

3) Get The Funding In Place
    If taking a mortgage, get an agreement in principle or mortgage promise from the broker. This will be invaluable when you come to actually begin bidding on a property as you will be taken far more seriously by the agent and seller if your finances have already been agreed. Never forget though that an agreement in principle is only as good as the information you provide to obtain it. Be honest from the start and it will prove worthwhile. Make sure that you have the necessary funds inplace for the deposit, mortgage fees (survey etc) and, as I will move on to, the Legal fees.

4) Get 3 solicitors quotes and decide which one you will use in preparation
    Get at least 3 solicitors quotes based on the figures and budget worked out with your broker. I always suggest 1 Local firm, 1 Distant firm, 1 online form. See how they compare but remember that cheap is not best. Paying a little more could make the difference between a swift trouble free transaction, or having a solicitor who leaves your case till 'tomorrow'. If yu have the solicitor firm in mind, it will benefit you again when bidding.

5) Make Yourself Known To The Agents
    Call the agents on a regular basis. On the desk of every decent sales negotiator there will be a small index card box called his 'hot box'. This is a list of people, usually first time buyers who are looking for property and are ready to proceed. Your aim is to be at the front of his 'hot box'. This requires a certain amount of persistance on the part of you and your broker. Call the agents at least once if not twice a week. Ask if there are any new properties on their books, have any sales fallen through. Get your broker to call and tell the agents that you rmortgage has been approved (in principle) and you are now keenly looking to move ASAP. Don't however let your broker tell the agents how much you can afford. Keep the pressure on the agent to find you somewhere, once they know you are serious you will be the first one to get a call when they have a new instruction.

6) Finding The Property
    Once you have found the property you like, never seem over eager to the agent initially. View it more than once at different times of the day. What seems like a quiet suburban street at mid-day can become a rush hour ratrun at 4.30. The first time you view will be with your heart, the second time will be with your wallet. On the second viewing make sure it is in the evening after the agent has closed. This will allow you to be unhurried and have the current owner on hand to get honest answers to the inevitable questions you will have. The remainder of this bit is, Im afraid, down to you as you are the only one who knows what you are looking for.

7) Pre Offer Information
    Before considering what to offer you need to find out as much about the situation of the seller as possible. Find out if they have found a property. Is the chain above you complete and how long is it. How stable is the chain and how well established is it. Are there any other viewings booked or other offers on the table? Do you think there is any wor needing doing to it? Armed with this information you will then be able to present yur offer in the best possible light to the agent and seller. After all the name of the game is giving the seller what he wants, and that is allowing him to move upwards. It is not always about finances alone.

8) Submitting The Offer
    There are many different schools of thought as to how much you should offer on a property. Never forget that the seller will have a level he needs to achieve to make his move possible, and that he will not have seen blistering increases in the value of his own property, which will reduce the available room for manouver.

This is where i personally take over for the buyer and begin submitting offers to the agent on their behalf. The offer must be presented confidently and with supporting information. Example:
    " Mr & Mrs x have decided that the property 'x' is the one they wish to purchase. They have their funds in place with the mortgage agreed in principle, and are in a position to instruct a solicitor immediately upon the offer being accepted. They are in an excellent position and can close the chain above and get it moving swiftly. Bearing that in mind they wish to offer 'x' subject to the following conditions.
    All future and current viewings are cancelled
    The property is withdrawn from the open market immediately and they have exclusivity over it
    The sold board goes up within 48 hours
    They receive weekly updates on the progress of the chain.

An example of 'the norm' would be something like an asking price of £120,000 with your opening offers beginning at £105,000 - £108,000.

9) Know Your Limit
    Always keep in mind the amount you are prepared to pay for the property. Increase your offers by small increments say £500-£1000 on a value as above. The worst they will say is no. This is the point where it is actually better to ask your broker to bid for you as they agent is then less likely to try to play any 'games' to increase the price. If you are offering yourself it is better to go into the agency office and place the offer in person. You are then more likely to actually witness the offer being put forward to the seller and there will be less likelyhood for mis-trust. It also helps build rapport with the agent.

If you are seen by the agent as serious, they will take you seriously. If you overcome the potential problems such as cost, mortgage etc before you even look, again you will be seen as serious about buying.

Build a relationship with the agent who is selling the property you wish to buy. You want your name to be at the forefront of his mind when he is on his way to value a property suitable. This way you may even get to view it before it goes to the open market.

Once the offer is accepted it is then down to you to fulfill your side of the deal. Instruct the solicitor without delay and get your broker to submit the full mortgage application without delay.

A good broker / solicitor will hold your hand until the day you move in.

This is not a definitive guide and I will add to it when i think of more ideas. However the basic model is something that I have used with all my clients and has, until now, proved very successful.

Hope this helps and apologies for the length of the post

Andy

Heyy Andy are you also dealing with any property right know???
  • JCW46
    JCW46 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi I'm a first time buyer and wanted to ask a few questions.

Me and my girlfriend have viewed a house that we are interested in buying and the agent explained that its a "corporate instruction" which I think means a bank repossession. The agent said that their would be a 28 day period after we made an offer when other offers could be considered. Is this correct and if so would we be wise to bid closer to the asking price to avoid losing out?

The house is on at 115k and I am wondering what would be a sensible offer as we don't want to lose out but also don't want to pay more than we have to or start a bidding war with anybody else.

Lastly would we have to wait a month before knowing that our offer had been accepted and would the agent still be allowed to advertise the house during this time?

Very confused and appreciate any advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure