PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Buying - Moneysaving Tips

Options

Comments

• cabbage
    cabbage Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I can't give advice on price but the agents have to advertise in the local press that an offer has been made and the offer price. The advert asks for any interested party to put forward any other offers within 28 days. If no one comes forward then your offer may be accepted
    The Cabbage
    Its Advice - Take it or Leave it:D
  • hardwicke
    Options
    The following that property, 49, Alexandra Crescent, Beeston, NG9 2BS,
    appeared on rightmove on 30th March, 2013 was first put on
    the rightmove on 10th, Octember as a no-chain property and
    then STC with the price of 120,0000.

At the very last minute, the vendor decide to pull it
    out. The vendor was really awful and dishonest as they let
    us wait for the response and waste more than 1000 pounds on
    valuation and legal costs.

Please be very careful to them as they might a lot of
    troubles for you as well.

The history about this property can be seen on the rightmove website as status changed on 23rd, Nov, 2012.

The reason was that they could not find a rent property. Actually, before accepting the offer, the vendor promised that they had a lot of places to live, e.g. parents' house or friends' house as well.

Plus, the information given by the estate agent was not correct. From the valuation report, it found there are a lot of dampness and structure change.

Furthermore, all the windows are single-layer glass and not as double-layer glass as advertised.

The property is within a council properties area with a lot of council houses.

Please be careful to them when you decide to buy this one since they can change their mind as they like.
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    We have the “House Selling – Money Saving Tips” guide, but I have realised that we are sorely lacking in the House Buying equivalent.

There has already been demand from some users for AndrewSmith (Independent, Whole of Market Mortgage Advisor to the Stars) to deliver his top tips on how to negotiate with agents. So as per his offer on a separate thread, he has accidentally volunteered himself to start the ball rolling on what I am sure will be a very popular thread.

:D

(drum roll)
  • kristenjames
    Options
    Thanks Andrew for such nice tips, I was actually looking for tips to deal with seller or agents regarding property
  • gregorymorrill
    Options
    Strengthen your credit, Determine the house you can afford, Get as much information on your desired home as you can and make a search on it and Don’t judge a house by its cover.
  • Mrs_ted
    Mrs_ted Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    excellent thank you!
  • PruHarrison
    Options
    These are some good tips and added great value to my knowledge.
  • amazinga
    Options
    Hi I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask my question but I am in deadlock over a property I am trying to buy and would value any advice:

We have found a property we love which is on the market for £425,000. It has been on the market for 4 months with no serious offers. There are three estate agents marketing the property. The property needs a huge amount of work - costing around £40,000 and even after that, it will probably only sell for around £430,000 max. That is what the estate agent has told me.

We've fallen in love with the house, and have made 2 offers, with a final offer of £385,000 submitted earlier this week. This was rejected - the vendor said he was holding out for at least £400,000. I think (and I suspect the estate agent agrees) that this is unrealistic. We told the estate agent we couldn't increase our offer and would focus on another house.

The vendor wants to move quickly - we have a sale agreed on our own property to first time buyers - and can move asap. We have told the estate agent this, who has passed it on to the vendor.

Realistically the most we can possibly afford is £390,000. I am willing to make one last offer but would appreciate advice on the timing of the offer and what I can possibly do to persuade the vendor to accept. I am pretty sure the estate agent is on side - he wants to secure the deal for his agency - and he has explained our position.

Any advice/tips appreciated.

Many thanks
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    at least you know 400k hes having a VERY HARD THINK

id stick with your offer/if you seriously cant afford the extra--especialy needing upgrade

me thinks hes just trying to squeeze last 15 k out of you
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • marcellep
    marcellep Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Forum,

Question

If I purchase a house in Scotland on a shared equity scheme, how does stamp duty work out.

My share will cost me 103k which is equivalent to 60%

Does that mean ill have no stamp duty to pay?

Thanks in advance
    If I have been helpful - Hit the Thanks button
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    I personally think you should not be buying until you really understand the market and can find out how much houses in the street have SOLD for..
    If you can not do something as simple as this then you are a danger to your wealth..
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure