Sainsburys basic curry sauce now 7p!

Options

Comments

• 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    edited 15 June 2009 at 7:42PM
    Options
    LOL, it's clearly heavily subsidised by Sainsburys! And if you are worried about fat in your food you should perhaps have a think about the content of the Sharwoods.

Sainsburys 440g 7p curry sauce ingredients:
    Water, Tomato Pur!e (9%), Onion (5%), Maize Starch, Sugar, Lemon Juice From Concentrate, Sultanas (2%), Rapeseed Oil, Curry Powder (contains: Coriander, Turmeric, Rice Flour, Fenugreek, Cumin, Mustard Flour, Salt, Ginger, Black Pepper, Paprika, Chilli, Nutmeg, Fennel), Whey Powder, Salt, Spirit Vinegar, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Turmeric, Preservative: Sulphur Dioxide

Fat content per 100g = 2.5g
    Saturates = 0.2g per 100g
    Salt = 0.74g per 100g
    Sugar = 6.6g per 100g

Sharwoods 420g £1 (special offer at Sainsbugs, normally £1.46) Tikka ingedients:
    Water, Greek Style Yoghurt, Double Cream (8%), Sugar, Onions, Concentrated Tomato Puree (4%), Modified Starch, Concentrated Whole Tomatoes (1.8%), Spices, Vegetable Oil, Ginger Puree, Creamed Coconut, Salt, Garlic Puree, Desiccated Coconut, Ground Coriander, Chopped Coriander, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Colour: Paprika Extract.

Fat content per 100g = 8.2g
    Saturates = 4.1 per 100g
    Salt = 0.53g per 100g
    Sugar = 5.3g per 100g
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • sweetstudent
    sweetstudent Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    I stand corrected!!!! :) lol
    :beer:In My 'Permanant' Pre-Masters Gap Year :beer:
    'Married' Apple Fan and Proud
    With 16 Conversions
    I am not affiliated with any company except the one for whom I work!
  • twentypenceoff
    twentypenceoff Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    Options
    would it cook ok if i just put some raw veg in my slow cooker and covered it with this sauce and left it cooking for the day, or would it dry out and leave raw veg?
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    would it cook ok if i just put some raw veg in my slow cooker and covered it with this sauce and left it cooking for the day, or would it dry out and leave raw veg?

I think it would be fine. I chuck some meat and veggies in with a jar of sauce and leave all day, so I imagine the veggies on their own would be fine as they take longer to cook than the meat and wouldn't be in danger of drying out.

MrsB.

You could try posting on the Oldstyle board - I would imagine someone over there has done exactly what you want to and will let you know how it turned out!

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have tried the Tesco Value one (this is in a tin, not a jar and there isn't as much in there as the Sainsburys one) and I prefer the Sainsburys sauce as it is a bit spicier/hotter.

;)
  • shoperholicnot
    shoperholicnot Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i love this sauce..really nice on chips!
  • tightandproud
    Options
    I've been using the "Chip Shop Curry" granules that you can get in the gravy aisle, just add water. Costs around a pound but you can make litres of sauce from it, Bisto makes them but I find the ASDA branded one tastes much better, just like the curry sauces used in some chinese takeaways, which to me is quality!
    I'm tight and I'm proud! :D
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    for 7p i would be very concerned what is in it!

However i shall stick to Sharwoods Tikka :)
    With chicken, sultanas and coconut added it tastes exactly the same as the tinned chicken curry my Mum used to get from Marks and Spencers... :confused:
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One thing I have found is that many of the super cheap smart price/value etc jars of curry sauce have less junk in than more expensive ones! I shall be stocking up for uni! ;)
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • Kippaxmum
    Kippaxmum Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Why can I never find these in the supermarkets! lol. I think I'm going to have to look harder in future...
    June Grocery challenge: £0/£225

Leeds Run for All - 21/6/09 wish me luck! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family