Granite Worktops - Truth, Lies and misinformation

Comments

• Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Granite is hard wearing, but like any other material will mark and chip if it takes an impact.

It is possible to get the top repaired by a skilled mason using resins to repair the chipped areas if it bothers you that much.
  • shays_mum
    shays_mum Posts: 1,693 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Alan,
    I know I am being cheeky ;), but would you have any recommendations for any south london suppliers?!,
    Thanks in advance :)
    No one said it was gonna be easy!
  • Apreciar
    Apreciar Posts: 627 Forumite
    My supplier is trying to convince me that black quartz granite is the correct choice with cream units I had originaly chosen Lemon Yellow or Kashmere Gold, neither of which is in stock at the moment. Hence him trying the Black Quartz pitch.
    Is the Black a cheaper alternative or an inferior one. Your views would be appreciated.
    Change is here to stay
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Apreciar wrote: »
    My supplier is trying to convince me that black quartz granite is the correct choice with cream units I had originaly chosen Lemon Yellow or Kashmere Gold, neither of which is in stock at the moment. Hence him trying the Black Quartz pitch.
    Is the Black a cheaper alternative or an inferior one. Your views would be appreciated.

Hi, I would get another supplier and have what you want, not just what is in stock!
  • Alan_M_2
    shays_mum wrote: »
    Alan,
    I know I am being cheeky ;), but would you have any recommendations for any south london suppliers?!,
    Thanks in advance :)

You have a PM.
  • Alan_M_2

As already suggested, go with what you want, if you decide on Kashmir Gold, you absolutely must see the stone before you go ahead, it is beautiful (actually one of my favourites along with Madura Gold) but it can change dramatically from slab to slab depending on the quality of material selection.

The lighter colour granites can vary far more dramitically than darker ones, don't buy from a 6" sample alone, insist on seeing stock.
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite

Mine tried to do the same with me,when I bought my buttercream coloured kitchen.
    I bought instead a lovely pale cornflower blue coloured granite.(sorry I can't remember the name of it,just remember it was half again the cost of the black granite they were trying to sell me) but well worth it.
    After three years it's still as good as new and I'm still in love with it.
    It realy does,as people keep saying when they see it have the "wow" factor teamed with the cream units and makes my kitchen look very sunny and homely.
    Go with what you like,not what they tell you as after all you have to live with it.
  • :question: Hello Alan,

I hope you'll be able to give me some advice. I had a Rhino Black kitchen worktop installed last year, which was not done particularly well (wish I had known about you last spring!), & why I'm not going back to them on the matter of a chip I made on the edge a few days ago.

A mug fell from the draining rack about 1 ft above the worktop & there's a not very noticable chip 14mm wide, 2-3 mm deep on the edge in front of the draining board side to the left of the sink.

I've been quoted £175 + VAT for a repair by Marblemaster (result of quick Google search). I'm in SE London & wondered if you could tell me if this was reasonable or recommend someone who is. Or could I get away with not doing anything about it? Would that affect the rest of the worktop?

Thanks very much.
  • Alan_M wrote: »
    As already suggested, go with what you want, if you decide on Kashmir Gold, you absolutely must see the stone before you go ahead, it is beautiful (actually one of my favourites along with Madura Gold) but it can change dramatically from slab to slab depending on the quality of material selection.

The lighter colour granites can vary far more dramitically than darker ones, don't buy from a 6" sample alone, insist on seeing stock.

Hi, Alan.

Your information is great and most helpful. We are getting ready to have our new kitchen measured and ordered and get on to ordering the granite worktops (after some walls are knocked out, of course). I fell in love with Madura Gold from the site suggested by our contractor, but after seeing a full slab of River Gold, that's likely to be what we go with as our cabinets will be walnut.

As we are new to the renovation and pricing game in the UK (US native here), I am unsure of pricing and what should be included in quotes. Our contractor might have put us on to a company you know. If not, I'd at least like to know what some other folks are charging. Like you, I had a hard time understanding why black is so popular here and right now, we're just tickled to have seen a company offering a bit more variety.

Thanks, again.
  • Alan_M_2
    Most companies should be quoting for the whole package start to finish. If anything is unclear - ask.

The more obscure colours will generally push you towards the traditional stonemasons who will buy in the stock from the larger inmorters in the UK.

Granite installations are extremely difficulty to price on a sq/ft basis fitted as there are so many variables in the installation including access to the property (which in the US is far less of a problem apart from major city centres).

It is absolutely critical with products like River gold that you pick the slab you like, some will have stunning veins and colour changes, others can be quite plain even from the same block of stone.

I'm happy to help in more detail of you want to send more detailed information by private message.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure