Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• theluckofthedraw
    Options
    I've had an email from luckyoffers.net saying I was one of the lucky ones who had entered a comp for asda shopping and need to click on a link giving more info etc . Cant find any thread about them , any advice please before I do the 'click':)
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've had an email from luckyoffers.net saying I was one of the lucky ones who had entered a comp for asda shopping and need to click on a link giving more info etc . Cant find any thread about them , any advice please before I do the 'click':)
    I would just put it in the trash.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4186627&page=1
  • defairmans
    defairmans Posts: 962 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been trying to find any one else on the board that has entered the Tesco/Aquafresh 40th Birthday text competition. It was originally posted in the Postals thread here. Their T&Cs seem strange and I'm not convinced it is a genuine comp. I have been entering every day at odd hours and get a losing text message within one minute.
    I e-mailed them and they said:
    "The mechanic of this promotion operates based on the selection of a pre-programmed winning time slot for every hour of the promotion. The first entry received in this exact time slot is the entry that will win the prize for that hour. The winning moments are computer programmed and completely random, which ensures that the promotion remains secure and fair for all participants. In this way winners are randomly selected.

There is an opportunity to win £40 every hour. If an entry is the first received within the pre-selected time slot, it will win. The winner will receive a text message that informs him or her immediately that they have won. For all other entries including entries outside the pre-selected time slot, participants will be notified immediately that they have not won.
    Please note that if no entries are received during the winning time slot in any given hour, the prize does not carry forward into the next one."

I asked them how long their winning slot was and why they labelled the comp as an opportunity to win EVERY hour. It seems like the odds of winning are very low and every time I have texted between 2-4 am in the last few weeks, I have had a loser text.
    I've tried asking on the Chat thread but no one replied. Does anyone know how I get more info or ask for the comp to be investigated?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this...just getting frustrated and don't know where else to ask.

• lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, there are sixty minutes in an hour and sixty seconds in each minute, so if they are picking a specific second out of each hour you will have a 1 in 360 chance of picking the right second. If they are breaking the seconds down further then you'll have less chance. Of course, if someone has already won then you have no chance even if you pick the chosen second. There's no reason to suppose that they aren't giving you this chance every hour.
  • pinkfiss
    pinkfiss Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sent from Superdrug by email, is this dodgy?
    Thank you for entering a prize draw on superdrug.com, which we featured in our May/June edition of DARE magazine.

We're sorry, due to a technical error, we are unable to determine which prize draw you entered. We have therefore decided to reopen the prize draws and would like to invite you to re-enter. Please be assured that any personal details you have provided us are safe.

To re-enter, please follow the relevant link below and complete the online form. The prize draws will close at 23.59 on 4th August 2013 and winners will be notified by 9th August 2013.

Please note the links below are only valid for you.
    Good luck to all
  • 1975kb
    1975kb Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    i have also had one of the superdrug emails, any advice gratefully received
  • minerva123
    minerva123 Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got this as well. Think I will contact them. They have given specific links to two - I entered them all last month and if they had our details in the first place, why ask for them again?
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I received yesterday and today 4 emails from:

berryoffer.net - Rebecca Cook
    [EMAIL="Jackson@travel365.org"]Jackson@travel365.org[/EMAIL] - Jayne Jackson
    coffeeoffer.net - Jenny Green
    electricoffers.net - Teresa Davies

All along the same lines and all no doubt from the same person. Obviously scams! Never go through links in emails when you don't know who they are from but I think we all are aware of that!

I would imagine a legitimate company telling you that you had won a prize would not provide a link for you to go through. They would probably send you out a letter or phone you or possibly send you an email asking you to phone them.

The emails I received from the above give similar information and the same names as winners in 2-3 of them. They also give an extra link to go through further down their email and one of them says 'get an instant double up on your first deposit'. Could be from a gambling site or just a total scam to get information from you.

I've never been in this thread before although I do use MSE every day. Great thread to keep everyone informed. Stumbled on it after a Google search.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • gb94
    gb94 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi got this email while I was on holiday
    Not sure if legit

Dear Sir / Madam,

Your email address was registered as taking part in a recent Land Rover survey on talkSPORT.co.uk

Thank you for completing the survey. I’m delighted to inform you that you’ve been selected at random to win an iPad mini!!

I only have your email address at the moment so could you contact me please with your full name and address then I will arrange for it to be delivered. There is a limit on availability so I will need your response within 1 week.

Don’t hesitate to call me if you have any questions.

Yours faithfully,

Matthew

Matthew Jarvis

Activate Project Coordinator

talkSPORT

Tel. 0207 959 7923 | Mobile. | Matthew.jarvis@talksport.co.uk

I have replied asking for confirmation and he says that I have definitely won the ipad and he is waiting to post it.
    He also says that I can give him a call on the number to check

Any thoughts?
  • titchylin
    titchylin Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    gb94 wrote: »
    Hi got this email while I was on holiday
    Not sure if legit

Dear Sir / Madam,

Your email address was registered as taking part in a recent Land Rover survey on talkSPORT.co.uk

Thank you for completing the survey. I’m delighted to inform you that you’ve been selected at random to win an iPad mini!!

I only have your email address at the moment so could you contact me please with your full name and address then I will arrange for it to be delivered. There is a limit on availability so I will need your response within 1 week.

Don’t hesitate to call me if you have any questions.

Yours faithfully,

Matthew

Matthew Jarvis

Activate Project Coordinator

talkSPORT

Any thoughts?

think you have won an ipad - woooo congrats hon

isnt it a damn shame the way we have to feel aware - enjoy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing