DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 6)

Options

Comments

• St0lli
    St0lli Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    ianmak wrote: »
    I can't find a pat on the back smiley, so I thought I'd doff my hat to you all. In fact, I can't even do that. So it'll just have to be something a little more personal. :)

:kisses3:

Oooooer Ian... you silver tongued lothario! lol:rotfl:
    Light Bulb Moment 4th January 2009 :eek:
    Started DMP 1st April 2009 :A
    DMP mutual support thread member: 267 :j
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    If you can it is probably best to cancel any DD in branch and put it in writing.

That way you have proof of the request should they try to reinstate or pay out on it.

The Direct Debit Guarantee
    You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society. We also recommend you notify the organisation concerned.
    Financial Ombudsman - DD guarantee.
    bank pays out under direct debit that customer had cancelled

Mrs B enrolled her son at a fee-paying school and signed a direct debit form, authorising the school to claim the school fees direct from her current account. But Mrs B removed her son from the school only a few weeks after he had started there.

She cancelled the direct debit and made separate arrangements to pay the school what she considered to be due. However, this was less than the school thought it was owed. A couple of months later, the school claimed an extra term’s fees under the direct debit, because it said that Mrs B had been required to give a term’s notice. When Mrs B’s bank paid the sum requested, even though she had cancelled the direct debit, Mrs B complained and asked the bank to pay the money back.

The bank argued that she was not entitled to have her money back. It said she had not suffered a loss as a result of its making the payment because she owed the school the money in any event.

complaint upheld

It was irrelevant whether Mrs B owed money to the school. What was relevant was that her bank had paid out under a direct debit that she had cancelled. So, under the direct debit guarantee, once Mrs B notified the bank of its error, it should have refunded the money straight away. It wasn’t for the bank to decide whether or not Mrs B owed the money to the school.

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • gaztop26
    gaztop26 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I am sending out token payments this week. I have previously sent the CCCS DMP notification letter to my creditors. I have been looking for a token payment template letter to include with my £1 postal order but couldn't find one, so I have created this one using bits from other templates I found on the internet. Before I send it can someone have a read through to make sure its acceptable? I've posted this on the "ask a CCCS counsellor" thread also.

Thanks

gaz
    name
    address
    June 7, 2009

The Loan Company
    Company House,
    Church Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent,
    R1 7HG

Account No/Reference No:- 123456

Dear Sir/Madam

Since making that above agreement with you, our circumstances have changed.
    I/We cannot now afford to the agreed monthly payments because the household income has been vastly reduced and I/we are/am over committed on credit.
    I/We enclose a Personal Budget sheet which shows our total income from all sources, and the total outgoings of our household. As you can see we have little money left to make offers of payment to my/our creditors.
    I/we am seeking help from the consumer credit counselling service (CCCS) and intend to shortly produce a statement of affairs / debt management plan. My CCCS client number is 11111111, should you wish to discuss my/our situation with them.
    In view of my/our circumstances, would you please accept this token payment at present to be reviewed in six months. If interest or other charges are being added to the account, I/we would be grateful if you would freeze these so my/our debt does not increase.
    Should my circumstances improve I/we will contact you again.

Can you also send me any policy documents / information leaflets etc you produce for someone in my circumstances?
    Thank you for your assistance. We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other
    [STRIKE]£67000[/STRIKE] in unsecured debt at LBM June 2009:eek:
    Debt free date Monday 22nd July 2013 :)
    **!* DMP mutual support thread member: 316 :wave:*!**
    8 Original creditors; 7 successful F&F payments made!! :T Thank you Stepchange!
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    Options
    St0lli wrote: »
    Thanks Eupho but I think I've got a long way to go until I can equal the encouragement and enthusiasm you give everyone on this thread! :j (oh dear that sounds a bit like the self admiration club doesn't it! :rotfl:)

:rotfl::o
    Thankyou :o..
    I think mostly I am trying to convince MYSELF.. haha.

Trying to handle it with a bit of humour.. and trying to see the big picture of it all..
    Makes it MUCH less scary.. (i think) .. haha.

:wave:
    Very proud of trying to deal with my debts. LBM 04/09
    :T
    [STRIKE]£34.217[/STRIKE] ~ 05/09. £33.817~ 06/09
    to [STRIKE]13 [/STRIKE] 12 creditors. Doing my own DMP. :dance:
    DMP mutual support member 309. NSD 12/12
  • Eupho
    Options
    haha did they go anywhere nice... did they 'wish you were there'? :p I think not... dread to think the amount of interest we've all paid them in the past...

CA x
    :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Eupho
    Options
    ianmak wrote: »
    I can't find a pat on the back smiley, so I thought I'd doff my hat to you all. In fact, I can't even do that. So it'll just have to be something a little more personal. :)

:kisses3:

hahaha... Oo laa laaa
    But, yep!.. I know what you mean.. I rely on the great people here to keep me going with this. Seeing the good things that other people say .. really helps take some of the the fear out of it doesn't it. YAAY! :T
  • Eupho
    Options
    St0lli wrote: »
    Oooooer Ian... you silver tongued lothario! lol:rotfl:

hahah! :rotfl:
  • Eupho
    Options
    gaztop26 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am sending out token payments this week. I have previously sent the CCCS DMP notification letter to my creditors. I have been looking for a token payment template letter to include with my £1 postal order but couldn't find one, so I have created this one using bits from other templates I found on the internet. Before I send it can someone have a read through to make sure its acceptable? I've posted this on the "ask a CCCS counsellor" thread also.

Thanks

gaz
    name
    address
    June 7, 2009

The Loan Company
    Company House,
    Church Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent,
    R1 7HG

Account No/Reference No:- 123456

Dear Sir/Madam

Since making that above agreement with you, our circumstances have changed.
    I/We cannot now afford to the agreed monthly payments because the household income has been vastly reduced and I/we are/am over committed on credit.
    I/We enclose a Personal Budget sheet which shows our total income from all sources, and the total outgoings of our household. As you can see we have little money left to make offers of payment to my/our creditors.
    I/we am seeking help from the consumer credit counselling service (CCCS) and intend to shortly produce a statement of affairs / debt management plan. My CCCS client number is 11111111, should you wish to discuss my/our situation with them.
    In view of my/our circumstances, would you please accept this token payment at present to be reviewed in six months. If interest or other charges are being added to the account, I/we would be grateful if you would freeze these so my/our debt does not increase.
    Should my circumstances improve I/we will contact you again.

Can you also send me any policy documents / information leaflets etc you produce for someone in my circumstances?
    Thank you for your assistance. We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other

Hi Gaz :wave:

Thats fine... I don't think they give a monkeys what you write really.. as long as the key words are there.
    as in Financial Probs/Cannot pay/DMP..

If fact... you could probably get a way with writing..

Dears Sir/Madam.

Re: account number 11111111

Financial Problems, Cannot Pay. DMP. SOA. CCCS Number: 222222

Love Gaz x

I honestly think that would work just as well.. (really) .. haha..
    Remember they don't really see us as anything more than account numbers that owe them money.
    I wish I had known that when I wrote them all a ginormous 'cards on the table' .. heart felt letter.. haha! duh! :rotfl:

But yep.. that's fine to start the ball rolling. I don't know how much your token payment is.. But £1 is just fine until your DMP payments start.
  • smcshane
    smcshane Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Just a quick question. First payment has gone off to CCCS and everyhting seems ok so far!!!

I know CCCS say if you have any extra money then let them know so they can make a, "fair, pro rata" extra payment to all the creditors, hence why I want suggestions here before speaking to them.

At the end of June I will be getting an extra 6 days pay, for working a weeks holiday. This will amount to about £500, I have two small creditors, next and asda cc whcih total £600.

Was wondering if I should offer Full and Finals so early into my DMP but this would then free yp some extra money each month for the other creditors too. Also, before I do this should I ask for CCA's as is this more likely to get them to accept reduced offers.

Thoughts appreciated.

Sxx
    Faced up to debts April 2009: £43099:eek:
    31/12/2013 £3516.66 91.5% paid :beer:
    DMP Mutal Support Thread Member 303!
    POAMAYC 2013 Member 121 - £4262.98/£4000
    6% above target :j
  • Eupho
    Options
    smcshane wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a quick question. First payment has gone off to CCCS and everyhting seems ok so far!!!

I know CCCS say if you have any extra money then let them know so they can make a, "fair, pro rata" extra payment to all the creditors, hence why I want suggestions here before speaking to them.

At the end of June I will be getting an extra 6 days pay, for working a weeks holiday. This will amount to about £500, I have two small creditors, next and asda cc whcih total £600.

Was wondering if I should offer Full and Finals so early into my DMP but this would then free yp some extra money each month for the other creditors too. Also, before I do this should I ask for CCA's as is this more likely to get them to accept reduced offers.

Thoughts appreciated.

Sxx

Smc :wave:

I'm about to try to do the same thing. But as I am doing my own DMP I have no company to tell. I was just going to chance it and see what happened regarding my other creditors.

Errmm.. that didn't really help you did it haha.. sorry.

But sit tight.. and some one in the know will answer soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income