Is there a way i can stop a water meter being fitted?

Options
I live in a very old council house, it has not got it's own water supply - the water for this house is tapped on to the house next door's pipes.

The next door house has been brought and he wants our houses pipes "off his land" as he has put it. This means a new supply being fitted to my house and i have been told we will get a water meter.
Is there a way around this?????
We are a family of 5 (including 2 teenagers and a toddler) it's going to cost us a bomb:eek:

Thanks for reading, Neat x

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    I cant see how they can insist on you having a meter to be honest, you cant be compulsoary metered as you havent just moved in, they may well fit a meter and give you the choice if you want to continue paying on the meter, who supplies you water ?
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If its a new supply then I doubt you have a choice.....(united utilities tried it with our place & muttered something about goverment rules & guidelines)
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • deanos
    Options
    New supply but to an existing property so should be classed as an existing supply
  • purpleneat
    Options
    Thanks for your replys:beer:
    It's been a few weeks and We have not had any info from the water board.. so i'm hopeing it's going to take ages and ages.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I think you are worrying about nothing. A meter tends to work out cheaper for everyone, including larger families.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I think you are worrying about nothing. A meter tends to work out cheaper for everyone, including larger families.

I think ofwat have said that about two thirds of households will be better off with a meter.

The crucial issue is the Rateable Value(RV) of the property.

For historical reasons some large properties have a very low RV and a meter will never be cheaper.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I think ofwat have said that about two thirds of households will be better off with a meter.

Until they all increase their prices to make up the shortfall in income !! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can't you ask for it to be taken out in 12mths if you don't like it.
    Or is that only if you asked for it in the first place ?
    I live alone so would probably save by getting a water meter, but i'm a bit hesitant in case it may mean any future buyer being put off the house.
    Not that i have plans to sell.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Can't you ask for it to be taken out in 12mths if you don't like it.
    Or is that only if you asked for it in the first place ?
    I live alone so would probably save by getting a water meter, but i'm a bit hesitant in case it may mean any future buyer being put off the house.
    Not that i have plans to sell.

My understanding is:
    You can opt for a water meter and then revert to paying by rateable value within 12 months.
    You can only revert back to paying by rateable value once (so if you opted for a meter a second time you could not revert again).
    The meter would be left in place and the new occupants would be metered.
  • deanos
    Options
    Yep meter stays in situ even if you change you mind, and depending on the company its still read every 6 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure