Is internet explorer 8 worth downloading?

in Techie Stuff
47 replies 3.4K views
onejontwoonejontwo Forumite
1.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
Forumite
Advice please as to whether it is worth upgrading to IE8 as I,ve only had IE7 a few months and I'm quite happy with it. Are there any real benefits as I've heard it can be quite troublesome. I'm running XP by the way.:confused:

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Ambassador
    49.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ambassador
    had no problem with it, got some improved security options but looks/feels the same as IE7
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I had problems with my internet banking with 8 so I have gone back to 7...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • steveo3002steveo3002 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    im not that thrilled with it ..few probs viewing some sites etc

no major issues though
  • ForrisForris Forumite
    366 Posts
    I tried in on my XP system last week and it kept crashing with Blue Screen Of Death. Uninstalled it and reverted to IE7, all works fine again!
  • IE8 works fine here, just turn off tabs grouping (changes tabs colours in a group, why ! ! )
  • underinunderin Forumite
    19 Posts
    Forris wrote: »
    I tried in on my XP system last week and it kept crashing with Blue Screen Of Death. Uninstalled it and reverted to IE7, all works fine again!

thats strange... havent heard of web browser causing BSOD... well I upgraded to IE 8 from IE 6 so, the tabs etc was a useful addition; it does eats in the RAM though... and regd some pages not opening properly in IE8; there is a new feature called the compatibility view for such pages!
    I personally prefer Opera or Firefox over IE!
  • Hi my name’s Feran and I am working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to help provide assistance to folks about their Internet Explorer.
    IE8 is a more secure, safe and reliable browser. It also has many new features such as enhanced tab browsing, accelerators and web slices. You can learn more about IE8 as well as download it here: wwwdotmicrosoftdotcom/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx?ocid=ie8_sm_a(replace the "dot" with a period ".")
    Here’s additional resources:
    The IEBlog: blogsdotmsdndotcom/ie/ and the demo page wwwdotie8demosdotcom/tryit/ will give you a better idea of IE8 and see how it differs from other IE versions.
    Here are two articles reviewing IE8 security: wwwdotpcworlddotcom/article/161587/is_ie8_actually_saferdothtml and wwwdotitworlddotcom/internet/67113/ie-8-its-security-worth-download
    Hope this helps and keep me updated if you decide to give it a try!
    Feran
  • nomoneytodaynomoneytoday Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I like the fact it has an option to clear all the tracking stuff out when you close the app :)
  • mr_fishbulbmr_fishbulb Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I like the fact it has an option to clear all the tracking stuff out when you close the app :)
    It also has a mode that doesn't record any of this data when browsing.
  • GKWeldingGKWelding Forumite
    43 Posts
    It also has a mode that doesn't record any of this data when browsing.

Browsers such as Safari have had this for a year now. As a web developer I would always suggest to people to ditch IE (all versions, especially 6).

If you like the look and feel of IE and don't want to change too much then switch to FireFox 3, FF is compaitble with all websites too so you wont have any problems with internet banking, online shopping etc...
    If you want fast browsing and amazing looks switch to Safari.
    If you want super fast browsing and don't mind awful looks then switch to Google Chrome.
    Avoid Opera at all costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals