OS Daily Sunday 31st May 09

edited 31 May 2009 at 6:19AM in Old Style MoneySaving
45 replies 2.4K views
N9eavN9eav Forumite
4.7K Posts
edited 31 May 2009 at 6:19AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Sat 31 May. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Morning..... Another nice day in store. Managed the chores yesterday and then headed over to Perranporth for a few hours. Thought I would hand deliver an application form on the way, but the school had no letter box! How do they get their post out of term time?

Church this morning and then the whole family over for a BBQ later this afternoon. Need to cut the grass first, but it's looking pretty good around here. Neighbour killed the pesty mole in less than 12 hours, so no more holes everywhere....

Well... have a good day folks.....
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!

Replies

• betheebeebetheebee Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Morning all,
    Another beautiful day here. DGD woke at 2am for a 5oz feed promptly fell asleep and woke at 6am for another, I was already up and had her bottle ready. What a perfect start to the day,:D lovely smiles and cuddles.
    We are having a BBQ for dinner, DH wants lamb kebabs, sausages & HM burgers. Ready diced lamb was expensive in Morries so I bought a leg of lamb and cut meat off, diced it and made the kebabs. I've washed the new potatoes, boiled some eggs and made some humous. So not much to be done.
    DH said he loves doing a BBQ because it gives me a break from cooking. Ha! :rolleyes:
    DD2 is collecting DGD at 12.30 so that we can meet up with DF's at our local for a lunch time pint.
    Right then, off to bath DGD and get her dressed.
    Have a good day all.
  • julietiffjulietiff Forumite
    747 Posts
    Morning all,
    BBQ here too, when Ds2 gets home from work. Ds1, girlfriend and granson
    are coming up so there will be 8 of us including Ds3 girlfriend.
    Meat was put in the hm marinade last night so should be tasty:D
    Still got to get Ds3 to cut garden though .
  • Essex-girl_2Essex-girl_2 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Morning N9eav, Beth and all to follow.

Lovely day here as well :j just about to start making the picnic for the boot sale - egg sandwiches - cant have a picnic without them :D Luckily its not an early start one, OH will leave at 10 & me a little later. Have a van load of stuff so fingers and everything crossed that it all goes.

Had a really nice day yesterday, ironing mountain gone, some time spent in the garden finishing my book, a nice bike ride along the sea wall. Football - wahey Chelsea :jThen finished with a barbeque in the garden and finally watching BGT - so pleased with the result too :T

Today with be at the boot sale/country fayre most of the day. The hardest bit will be avoiding spending money whilst there. They have kids rides and cream teas and the like. Will also be really careful of the sun - its soo hot out there already. Probably another barbeque for tea.

Have a great Sunday whatever you are doing.
    x
  • SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning!

Beth - Your GD sounds like an angel :A My Mum used to do the same for me it's such a help.

Essexgirl Good luck not spending anything! I stopped DH doing boot sales as he came home with not much money and almost more stuff than he took :eek:

It's a gorgeous day here too. The WM is on and I'm also going to strip the beds while I can get it all dried :T Gardening today for DH & I the weeds are taking over :o I've got some geraniums to plant out as well.

Dinner is gammon, that was cooked yesterday, with new potatoes & salad. Fruit salad leftover from yesterday for pud!

Hope everyone has a good day in the sun :D
  • stefejbstefejb Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all - lovely here - hope it is for you

Todays plans are to sort out the veg babies which are looking a bit crowded and sort out everything for the new school week/work etc. At some point today i'm taking dd(12) to the Taste of Spain festival at Regent's st. Saying that though dd(19) has planned some sort of bbq at mine so she might want to stay for that - I will definitely want to escape!

Have a good day
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
  • flisshflissh Forumite
    720 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Morning all,

boot sale for me too. Am looking after a little dog this weekend so will take him with me.

Enjoy your BBQ's you lot, betheebee you are right, men always think bbq's mean less work for women if they do the cooking!!!!!
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    good morning

bethebee I agree with sunnygirl dgd does sound an angel , what a nice thing to do do, I could have done with some of that when mine were little

beautiful day, we are off to the cinema to see last chance harvey ( free tickets courtesy of sky :j) looking forward to that

possibly a BBQ here too, the teens want one, the only thing is it dents my meat reserves, they will eat more meat in one meal than we have in a week :rolleyes:

hope everyone has a lovely day in the sun
    (((hugs))) to those who need

and good luck to those revising
  • AussieLassAussieLass Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,

DD left today and she's back at work tomorrow. She bought me some lovely gifts - handbag, dresses & necklace. I'll have to wait until summer to wear them. It's too cold atm. :p DS1 moved off the island today. He's in the suburb that the ferry goes to so not that far away. DS2 holidaying in Tasmania atm. Reckons it's freezing. I've always wanted to go and visit there so might do so one day. :rolleyes: :D I've been having a pretty lazy day today. Did the basics etc.

CM Glad Chelsea won. I know how [STRIKE]obsessed[/STRIKE] you are with them. :p
    Beth Enjoy every minute of DGD. They grow so fast. I know all about BBQ's. :rolleyes:

Well I best go and cook some tea. Just having a fry up tonight. Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday & enjoy the good weather. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Hardup_HesterHardup_Hester Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all
    N9eav, I work for a school & we don't have a letterbox either, the postie bring the post straight to reception, by the sack load. I'm pretty sure the reason we no longer have one is because the kids used it to put dog poo through & also set fire to it.
    Lovely day here again today, the neighbours came back early & had fed the cats by the time I got up at 6:00.
    No real plans for today apart from spending the day in the garden watching the washing dry. Back to work tomorrow, what joy. Roast chicken for dinner, probably with new pots & salad.
    Have a good day everyone.
    hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • edited 31 May 2009 at 8:59AM
    kazzawkazzaw Forumite
    717 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 31 May 2009 at 8:59AM
    Morning all!

Hopefully a beautiful day for everyone according to the forecast.
    Hoping to spend most of it pottering around in the garden getting my veggie babies planted out. Think my seed sowing has been a bit too successfull this year but I'll find room somewhere! ;)
    Dinner will be something with salad and HM bread. At least I don't have to buy lettuce or radishes thanks to my abundant crops!! Can't wait for the tomatoes and potatoes. Nothing beats the taste of home grown!! :j
    I've been looking after my DGD (just 1yr) a lot lately. She is a constant joy and brings a lot of pleasure to my Mum as we lost Dad just before she was born.
    (((((Hugs))))) to everyone who needs them (or just feels like one!!)
    TTFN
    Karen

PS. We no longer have a post box at the Town Hall as it is impractical to have one in the door and the box on the wall was constantly abused. Sign of the times I'm afraid but not good!
    :j New Year, New You = 1.5lb/12lb:j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals