can student housing be rented in summer to mature students (losing home v soon!)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
26 replies 2K views

Replies

• olly300olly300 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wiggynut wrote: »
    lol, unfortunately, I would not do this... I'm too !!!!!!! thoughtful! (but that's not a swear word?????)
    (plus I did hear that she once put a friend in the boot of her car and leave her in the middle of nowhere over a tiny fight... !!?!??!?!?!?)

Don't be so silly.

The majority of people don't have a problem putting a friend up for a while if the friend:
    1. Cleans up after themselves.
    2. Offers before being asked some sort of payment for the living expenses
    3. Moves out as soon as they can.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • edited 28 May 2009 at 10:48PM
    asbokidasbokid
    2K Posts
    edited 28 May 2009 at 10:48PM
    lol, unfortunately, I would not do this... I'm too !!!!!!! thoughtful! (but that's not a swear word?????)
    (plus I did hear that she once put a friend in the boot of her car and leave her in the middle of nowhere over a tiny fight... !!?!??!?!?!?)
    for god's sake move out!

it's not like you're an 18 year old fresher, in a foreign town, far from home, and in need of step-by-step guidance on doing your first spagbol!

it sounds like you are asking for advice over the breakdown in this relationship rather than a financial matter..

walk away.. if you're not shown on the tenancy agreement... ahem.. forget about it...
  • kelloggs36kelloggs36 Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by milkybars viewpost.gif
    I think you need to pay your university accomodation services a visit... most universities have these but sometimes under a different name and you may have to do some chasing to find their office. Once there you need to discuss two things with them:

Emergency accommodation - explain you have been asked to leave. Take your tennancy agreement with you and any other documents relating to your current accommodation. Have they formally asked you to leave, verbally or have they asked you in writing? The accommodation services may be able to provide a room in halls for you if one is vacant and you can prove your position.
    don't have an agreement - they kept saying they would get the landlord to sort it but never did (apparently the landlord had refused to add any more people to it but my 'friends' have only told me this recently!!! I've been here for 2.5 years!!)

Issue of bills - explain that they are asking you to pay more and more but won't show you the bills. Do you have a record of what you've paid? Did you pay my cheque or cash? Have you seen any of the bills - I think you need to ask to see these. When you moved in, did you take a meter reading?
    they are my best friends!!! Well I would hate to know who your enemies are then! These are no friends if they are treating you like this - honestly you are being taken for a fool. Get out, and pay nothing, they can't make you as there appears to be no contract and they can't prove you owe anything. I paid into their bank account but due to their debts they then asked for cash which I kept trying to say no to but then that means I'm not paying rent. and it was only suppose to be for a month or two... it's now 8 months! they will not show me any bills because they are trying to rip you off - the electric one has been paid (I've seen the letter they left behind saying paid in full )but they are saying it's still outstanding!

In the mean time, try not to wind your flatmates up. Explain that you are seeking some advice regarding the bills since you understood that they were included in the tennancy. they know it was included in my rent but they have now decided I should have paid more - despite me giving and offering to pay more rent as the room I changed too was bigger! they want to back date it all - way over the top too... £300 a month on top of the £350per month I was paying - the room is tiny so I wouldn't pay that much... no one would!
    Keep calm in front of them but make sure that they know you are seeking advice, if they're conning you out of money they may think twice. Ask for a copy of all the bills they claim you owe for, or ask them to itemise what they think you have paid and what they think you owe.
    they are now saying I've been paying rent in arrears but I pay in front (have done for 18 years.. I would never pay in arrears!!) I paid a months rent the following day of moving in and paid every month since so I can't be in arrears!
    they keep changing things and then denying what was said before.. there's two of them (boyfriend takes her side automatically- regardless of facts!?!)

Don't worry, it'll sort itself out. Life's a learning curve!

Get out now whilst you have still got your sanity. Don't look back and be assured they are NOT your friends. Sorry, but they aren't.
  • WiggynutWiggynut Forumite
    1K Posts
    asbokid wrote: »
    for god's sake move out!

it's not like you're an 18 year old fresher, in a foreign town, far from home, and in need of step-by-step guidance on doing your first spagbol!

(I don't have any family or family home anyway from the age of 15 well, nor before that but that's a different story!!!) I've certainly never had step by step guidance on anything either... but I obviously have a crap judgment on things so need advice from others (for a change).

it sounds like you are asking for advice over the breakdown in this relationship rather than a financial matter..

walk away.. if you're not shown on the tenancy agreement... ahem.. forget about it...

I'm just moaning about the breakdown of the relationship (I have no other outlet so to speak!) not wanting advice on that! but it's more about advice on housing for students... ie: other students might have experience of student housing and I'm sure there are others who have been in awkward situations and would like advice from others (I rely on myself but clearly not working well so going elsewhere for others opinion might help clarify things for me).

it's hard to walk away when needing to find new housing quickly - landlords want references, checks etc which takes time, finding van, packing etc... still takes more than a week realistically - I'm not 18 so I have more than a suitcase and some books or have the option of family to store stuff with in the meantime!

:o
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
    1K Posts
    kelloggs36 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by milkybars viewpost.gif
    I think you need to pay your university accomodation services a visit... most universities have these but sometimes under a different name and you may have to do some chasing to find their office. Once there you need to discuss two things with them:

Emergency accommodation - explain you have been asked to leave. Take your tennancy agreement with you and any other documents relating to your current accommodation. Have they formally asked you to leave, verbally or have they asked you in writing? The accommodation services may be able to provide a room in halls for you if one is vacant and you can prove your position.
    don't have an agreement - they kept saying they would get the landlord to sort it but never did (apparently the landlord had refused to add any more people to it but my 'friends' have only told me this recently!!! I've been here for 2.5 years!!)

Issue of bills - explain that they are asking you to pay more and more but won't show you the bills. Do you have a record of what you've paid? Did you pay my cheque or cash? Have you seen any of the bills - I think you need to ask to see these. When you moved in, did you take a meter reading?
    they are my best friends!!! Well I would hate to know who your enemies are then! These are no friends if they are treating you like this - honestly you are being taken for a fool. Get out, and pay nothing, they can't make you as there appears to be no contract and they can't prove you owe anything. I paid into their bank account but due to their debts they then asked for cash which I kept trying to say no to but then that means I'm not paying rent. and it was only suppose to be for a month or two... it's now 8 months! they will not show me any bills because they are trying to rip you off - the electric one has been paid (I've seen the letter they left behind saying paid in full )but they are saying it's still outstanding!

In the mean time, try not to wind your flatmates up. Explain that you are seeking some advice regarding the bills since you understood that they were included in the tennancy. they know it was included in my rent but they have now decided I should have paid more - despite me giving and offering to pay more rent as the room I changed too was bigger! they want to back date it all - way over the top too... £300 a month on top of the £350per month I was paying - the room is tiny so I wouldn't pay that much... no one would!
    Keep calm in front of them but make sure that they know you are seeking advice, if they're conning you out of money they may think twice. Ask for a copy of all the bills they claim you owe for, or ask them to itemise what they think you have paid and what they think you owe.
    they are now saying I've been paying rent in arrears but I pay in front (have done for 18 years.. I would never pay in arrears!!) I paid a months rent the following day of moving in and paid every month since so I can't be in arrears!
    they keep changing things and then denying what was said before.. there's two of them (boyfriend takes her side automatically- regardless of facts!?!)

Don't worry, it'll sort itself out. Life's a learning curve!

Get out now whilst you have still got your sanity. Don't look back and be assured they are NOT your friends. Sorry, but they aren't.

thanks - I know it's true and I feel like a !!!! as I kept 'letting them off' things and I shouldn't have but personally I would never do this to someone I hated (I'm not saying that too sound nice... just true)

been trawling the internet all evening and will go view some places tomorrow!!
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
  • brettctabrettcta Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can get a lease on a house over the summer.

type in 'student house needed over summer in 'insert your area here' and it should bring up a miriad of results
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
    1K Posts
    brettcta wrote: »
    you can get a lease on a house over the summer.

type in 'student house needed over summer in 'insert your area here' and it should bring up a miriad of results

thanks - I had a quick look earlier on the student accommodation for my Uni and they are £160 per week! eek.
    I'll have another search to see if any Uni accommodation can be rented rather just the one's linked to mine.
    :-)
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just moaning about the breakdown of the relationship (I have no other outlet so to speak!) not wanting advice on that! but it's more about advice on housing for students... ie: other students might have experience of student housing and I'm sure there are others who have been in awkward situations and would like advice from others (I rely on myself but clearly not working well so going elsewhere for others opinion might help clarify things for me).

it's hard to walk away when needing to find new housing quickly - landlords want references, checks etc which takes time, finding van, packing etc... still takes more than a week realistically - I'm not 18 so I have more than a suitcase and some books or have the option of family to store stuff with in the meantime!

Why don't you start listing some of your belongings on eBay? I think it's good to have a cull every year or two, just keeping the stuff you use regularly or absolutely adore. This will bring in a little extra cash and broaden your options for suitable accomodation. :confused:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • bitsandpiecesbitsandpieces Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Student accommodation is often vacant over the summer (people go home for the break, though not sure if exams are over yet?) You often see people advertising spare rooms etc. in shared houses over the summer break: lets them bring in some extra cash while the room's empty, and you can often negotiate a discount (if you're in London, these things are never *that* cheap though). You could also try some student letting agencies.

It might also be worth looking at rooms in non-student shared houses, although there can then be issues with council tax (students are exempt, others aren't).
    1K Posts
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Why don't you start listing some of your belongings on eBay? I think it's good to have a cull every year or two, just keeping the stuff you use regularly or absolutely adore. This will bring in a little extra cash and broaden your options for suitable accomodation. :confused:

I've culled a lot already and I need to move soon so i don't think I'll have the time to list the stuff and wait for it too end etc. otherwise I would! plus I'm in a little panic because of the now ex friend (:rolleyes:) so I'm a little frazzled and stress.

I also plan to keep books I'm not going to read any time soon (i'm using mostly technical manuals at the moment) packed in boxes.. heck, chuck over a nice throw and it's suddenly a little side table! ;)

I've got some mini exercise stuff gathering dust so I'll put it in the buildings hall with a note on it saying it's free - recycling! if it's not gone by tomorrow I'll have to give it to charity.

thanks for your suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals