can student housing be rented in summer to mature students (losing home v soon!)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
26 replies 2K views
WiggynutWiggynut Forumite
1K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
hi all

just wanted to know if student housing can help with a mature student (no family) who needs somewhere to live soon... so that means over the summer period? do student places rent over the summer - I think I've heard that they do rent them out - has anyone done this themselves?
can you stay there after the summer and rent during term times too?

so 'friend' who has a lot of debts wants me out unless I pay her another £300 (and to pay the electric bill (£645) despite giving her money towards it already! and the other tenants don't pay anything extra at all!!?!?!?) (I've already paid the months rent and extra to help her out) but I do not have this money especially as I still have to move in two weeks so I have to pay a months rent and deposit (some places ask for 6 weeks deposit now too) so i can't pay that money and move as well. (I do not owe her any money and as I said, I've paid her extra moneys so many times yet I didn't have too - she is now denying that I've given her extra money over the last year!!!)

lots of threats and they have changed their mind about kicking me out in two days as they will still get rent over the next two weeks!!!

but still need to find somewhere... just wondering if student housing might be a path to try out (I have a lot of stuff so it would be a squeeze!! :rolleyes:).

any help would be great... I feel like a fool in trusting a friend (a very spoilt rich kid type though - I just hate moving that much!!! !)

I don't want to quit my course over something like this... I have a week left for my final project which I'm not sure will be as finished as much as I would like either.

:o
Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!

Replies

• atypicalatypical Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Most contracts are for 12 months and start in July. You've left it a little late to be looking for a July start which may restrict your choices but will probably result in a better deal as landlords will be desperate to fill vacant rooms.
  • LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you share the leccy bill equally? If so why are you the only one paying extra to it?

Do you actually owe this extra? i.e. seen a bill of which you owe money?
  • WiggynutWiggynut Forumite
    1K Posts
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Do you share the leccy bill equally? If so why are you the only one paying extra to it?

Do you actually owe this extra? i.e. seen a bill of which you owe money?

nope (my rent is suppose to be inclusive)

and they left a letter from the electric company on the side face up which said the bill has been paid in full (a one paragraph letter as they changed the name the account was in but also mentioned it was paid) I looked as I had a man from the company come round to switch off the electricity (they didn't pay anything for four months!) but wasn't let in - I had already given extra money for this and frankly was very worried I'd be in darkness. offered to give them more money too which they refused?!!!?

they are saying it still needs to be paid but I keep asking to see the bill as they say the £645 is for 3 months... I've had flats myself and never had a high bill like that for 3 months... also only me in the flat those months they are saying it was for and I didn't use the heating to save them money. (wouldn't mind but it was freezing (christmas!!! ) but I do seriously think the bill is this high because they are not actually paying it every quarter and its grown from this - other tenants were living except for christmas.
    they have refused to show me the bill so far!

they also decided I should pay more but back dated it 3 months but came out with a rather outstanding £1000 - as I already offered to pay them more EACH MONTH and they said no, I don't think they can then decide to back date the rent afterwards.. I physically don't have the money plus all the extra money I have given them doesn't seem to 'count'!?!?
    they have not asked for anything more from the other tenants at any time - or backdated rent for them etc.

gosh I'm waffling again... sorry :o
    just frustrated that it's all come to this!
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
    1K Posts
    atypical wrote: »
    Most contracts are for 12 months and start in July. You've left it a little late to be looking for a July start which may restrict your choices but will probably result in a better deal as landlords will be desperate to fill vacant rooms.

I'd heard that student places are just for term time and summer renting is somehow seperate? but if it's 12 months duration then that could be helpful

I've sent an email to my Uni's housing to find out if they have any options that I don't know about.

thanks for your help
  • LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Little confused. How is your rent inclusive of bills yet you are being asked for money for them?

Do you have a contract stating that all bills are included in the rent?
    1K Posts
    Little confused. How is your rent inclusive of bills yet you are being asked for money for them?

Do you have a contract stating that all bills are included in the rent?

well, because they have huge debts... haven't worked for three years out of choice! and once the other tenants moved out didn't bother finding new people... I did find others for them and we only have one other person in the building now besides me. (the friend lives with her boyfriend so she doesn't have to pay rent and sublets her room!)

no contracts - despite asking for things to be written down - they even wanted the money in cash after awhile (I was transferring money to their bank account before so had records) but to 'help' them out to pay cash... she doesn't want it go through a bank account!

she doesn't keep a record of when rent is paid and now says I'm paying in arrears but I pay in front... have done for 18 years!! when I moved in the next day I gave them a months rent.. and paid every month so I can't possibly owe a months rent now on top of everything else!!!

I'm a cow if I help her out but also a cow when she asks for more.. .can't win.. .just trying to be a useful friend while she sorts herself out.
    I just wanted to live with friends for a bit as there should be some level of trust and I have tried to continually to help her out whilst she goes on loads of holidays (they are cheap ones so apparently they don't count!!?!) and has a lot of support from her family and boyfriend... I have neither!

(sorry, mini rant!)
    I don't move house until I really have to - should have done so a lot earlier!!! ! :o
  • milkybarsmilkybars Forumite
    409 Posts
    I think you need to pay your university accomodation services a visit... most universities have these but sometimes under a different name and you may have to do some chasing to find their office. Once there you need to discuss two things with them:

Emergency accommodation - explain you have been asked to leave. Take your tennancy agreement with you and any other documents relating to your current accommodation. Have they formally asked you to leave, verbally or have they asked you in writing? The accommodation services may be able to provide a room in halls for you if one is vacant and you can prove your position.

Issue of bills - explain that they are asking you to pay more and more but won't show you the bills. Do you have a record of what you've paid? Did you pay my cheque or cash? Have you seen any of the bills - I think you need to ask to see these. When you moved in, did you take a meter reading?

In the mean time, try not to wind your flatmates up. Explain that you are seeking some advice regarding the bills since you understood that they were included in the tennancy. Keep calm in front of them but make sure that they know you are seeking advice, if they're conning you out of money they may think twice. Ask for a copy of all the bills they claim you owe for, or ask them to itemise what they think you have paid and what they think you owe.

Don't worry, it'll sort itself out. Life's a learning curve!
  • LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start putting the heating on full blast, using as much water and electric as possible, then get the hell out of there ASAP.

Do you not have other friends who you can move in with for the time being? I don't know about your uni but a lot of my friends go home for the summer instead of staying in their house so have a room or 2 free.

University accomodation will be the same, ask them if you can have a place to stay.
    1K Posts
    milkybars wrote: »
    I think you need to pay your university accomodation services a visit... most universities have these but sometimes under a different name and you may have to do some chasing to find their office. Once there you need to discuss two things with them:

Emergency accommodation - explain you have been asked to leave. Take your tennancy agreement with you and any other documents relating to your current accommodation. Have they formally asked you to leave, verbally or have they asked you in writing? The accommodation services may be able to provide a room in halls for you if one is vacant and you can prove your position.
    don't have an agreement - they kept saying they would get the landlord to sort it but never did (apparently the landlord had refused to add any more people to it but my 'friends' have only told me this recently!!! I've been here for 2.5 years!!)

Issue of bills - explain that they are asking you to pay more and more but won't show you the bills. Do you have a record of what you've paid? Did you pay my cheque or cash? Have you seen any of the bills - I think you need to ask to see these. When you moved in, did you take a meter reading?
    they are my best friends!!! I paid into their bank account but due to their debts they then asked for cash which I kept trying to say no to but then that means I'm not paying rent. and it was only suppose to be for a month or two... it's now 8 months! they will not show me any bills - the electric one has been paid (I've seen the letter they left behind saying paid in full )but they are saying it's still outstanding!

In the mean time, try not to wind your flatmates up. Explain that you are seeking some advice regarding the bills since you understood that they were included in the tennancy. they know it was included in my rent but they have now decided I should have paid more - despite me giving and offering to pay more rent as the room I changed too was bigger! they want to back date it all - way over the top too... £300 a month on top of the £350per month I was paying - the room is tiny so I wouldn't pay that much... no one would!
    Keep calm in front of them but make sure that they know you are seeking advice, if they're conning you out of money they may think twice. Ask for a copy of all the bills they claim you owe for, or ask them to itemise what they think you have paid and what they think you owe.
    they are now saying I've been paying rent in arrears but I pay in front (have done for 18 years.. I would never pay in arrears!!) I paid a months rent the following day of moving in and paid every month since so I can't be in arrears!
    they keep changing things and then denying what was said before.. there's two of them (boyfriend takes her side automatically- regardless of facts!?!)

Don't worry, it'll sort itself out. Life's a learning curve!
    unfortuantely, I'm old enought to have learnt this already as I've had 'friends' in the past rip me off but I can't spend my life not putting trust in others - and it's not like I haven't asked for agreements, receipts etc... but then I get called selfish, or they keep putting if off etc.. which I'm used to spoilt people doing really (she has very wealthy family who will back her up even if she was doing something very wrong!!) (I was in care as a kid and abusive family so I think I put too much trust in others which they take advantage off me - but what else do I do? I'm very factual and like everything organised - and official! but sometimes you have to help friends out and that goes by the wayside!)

thanks
    :o
  • edited 28 May 2009 at 9:58PM
    WiggynutWiggynut Forumite
    1K Posts
    edited 28 May 2009 at 9:58PM
    I would start putting the heating on full blast, using as much water and electric as possible, then get the hell out of there ASAP.

Do you not have other friends who you can move in with for the time being? I don't know about your uni but a lot of my friends go home for the summer instead of staying in their house so have a room or 2 free.

University accomodation will be the same, ask them if you can have a place to stay.

lol, unfortunately, I would not do this... I'm too !!!!!!! thoughtful! (but that's not a swear word?????)
    (plus I did hear that she once put a friend in the boot of her car and leave her in the middle of nowhere over a tiny fight... !!?!??!?!?!?)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides