REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order

Comments

• mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2010 at 6:38PM
    Ladies do I need to do anything - I took all my documents to court last week as I hadn't received anything since the end of June and a payment from him has gone into my bank today. Should I just let things progress and try to recoup the arrears?

Edited cos I've just got my notification of the money going into my bank account and it has his old address. I included a copy of the notification son received for his birthday money that showed the same address on the fedex packet that daughter's birthday card arrived in with my affidavit. His house was up for sale and its showing as sold on the agent's website so not sure now where he's living.

On a positive note xmas is uncancelled!
  • i was married to a saudi and have 2 children , he has not given child support for 9 years, he father passed away a few days go and has a property in uk which my ex husband had power of attorney to , can he be stopped in selling his share and money given to my children? can he be stopped when he arrives in a uk airport?
  • Can any one tell me if my husband is a saudi and has not paid child support for 9 years , can he be stopped when he enters country as he now has inherited a share of property from his father that passed away.can he be forced to pay?
  • He won't be stopped, he hasn't done anything illegal.

Why do you think they would stop him?

Did he live in the UK previously? If so is there a CSA case that was open previously? Will he be living in the UK now?

I don't think there is anything you can do because Saudi isn't listed as a REMO country. Please don't take my word for this though, it would be wise to call your local magistrates court, perhaps even call the Saudi embassy for advice.
  • My ex lives in RoI, and took the CSA claim to a tribuneral which he won and the few payments we were receiving stopped, he said he would still pay but did not, i considered REMO but my ex as now agreed to make maintenance payments after christmas on the condition that i provide reciepts to show what i spend the money on and stop my daughter from calling my partner Dad - i guess i'll have to wait till after christmas to see if i need to take it further.. maybe i should calculate interest on the payments he should have sent since the tribuneral lol
  • So, my daughter is 16 and just started college. Her Father (if i really must call himthat) went to work in America about 9/10 years ago. He sent cash for first few months but since then nothing. He send her $100 dollars on her birthday and christmas, but no child support. We were never married, he doesn't have parental responsibility, there was never any order in place for money or visitation or anything at all. He has always maintained that he could not afford to send any money even though i know it's a lie. He could afford to run a car and a motorbike and smokes so whatever. He is now married and living in California. He has been bringing up his wifes 4 children by 2 other men for years and still said he couldn't afford to send any money over for his daughter, can afford personal trainer for his wife and to live in a complex with a pool however. I kind of plodded on but then he had twins this July and still doesn't send any money for my daughter. I am so angry that I have only just found out about REMO, I would have done it years ago had I of known. Stupid CSA, all they ever say is, sorry can't chase for payments in America.
    So, I am in Liverpool. I have googled REMO and says to contact local magistrates court, If only they would answer the phone. Can anyone offer me any advice, if they are in a similar position, do i need a solicitor, what info will they need, can payments be backdated, is he still liable to pay as she is 16 and has left school. I have very little clus as to what i am doing. Solicitors i hav ephoned so far seem clueless to say the least.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately if your daughter is 16 and left school - under UK law then you wouldn't be eligible to receive child support. Do you still get child benefit for her?

If there was no pre-existiing agreement in place, then there is nothing to enforce in the States. You could've had an order made here and then enforced in the States, or had a pre-existing order enforced there - but I doubt very much that they would backdate if she's no longer eligible.

There's also the added burden of proving he's the dad - if you've never had that done, then that would've had to have been established before any orders were made.
  • Lainep
    Lainep Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kimi31 - thank you for the information. I have received a letter from the court to advise that they have written to the CSA to ask for the address details so will have to wait and see what happens.

Unfortunately for me the Irish authorities are not willing to trace the NRP as part of their REMO agreement with the UK (although the REMO literature FAQ section implies that other countries will take steps to trace!)
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Hope everything goes ok tomorrow Kimi - report back and let us know how you get on. They told me there was a 10 day backlog before anyone would even look at my affidavit

Kellefer - not sure if you can make a claim without a consent order in place, is he named on your daughter's birth certificate?
  • Kimi31
    Kimi31 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Micro

Just getting ready to go over to town. Combining court with a birthday lunch with my mum :)

Have spoken to the NRP this weekend and this guy is beyond real. Cant pay child support but can send his kids a game to play on the wii that cost 20.00 and a dress up for the baby. Guess we can wii sing ourselves warm if there is no heat :mad:
    To put a spanner in it before its even started, hes changed address again. Steve has printed out the forms for me so i am hoping we can correct them easily enough...

Will post back this evening
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure