🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order

Options

Comments

• mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    The Natwest used to charge me £7.50 when ex was transferring money to me. I'm still with them so it just proves how much they charge depends which branch you go into and who you speak to.

Like AM Texas doesn't have the facility to make a direct transfer to foreign accounts and I'm glad they don't otherwise I'd be paying £7.50h per week.

My payments are made through an income witholding order and are sent from his employer to the Texas OAG who sends me a cheque the day after they've received a payment.
  • Lillse
    Options
    I m really sorry there seem to be loads of people on this site who have been treated really bad by their ex's. Well I m here to join your gang! I m a MAN....! My ex and I split in 2003, we had 2 kids who were 1 and 3 at the time. We were not married. From some reason she choose to move to Spain and take the kids with her, I could not stop this legally and we sold the house. I wanted the kids to have all they needed so decided to split the equity which should have been 50/50, 3 ways. A third to her, a third to me and a third to the children, that's £40,000 each. She took the £80,000 and off she went. Within a few months the kids were back in the uk living with me, I got PR & a residence order and they have lived with me ever since. I met my soul mate, got married, had 3 more kids and we are all very happy. My older 2 call the wife mummy and I must be the luckiest bloke around.
    The ex has had little or no contact with them by her choice in the past 6years and has not financially supported them at all. You can guess the extra £40,000 she had for the kids never came back despite requests. In 2007 following some really bad legal advice that I could get it back as the split of the money was all written up by a solicitor, I took her to court, the bad bit of the advice was that half way through the legal battle she had a baby and at that point I should have been told to abandon it, however the court did award me an order in favour of the children that she pays them £18,000 each on their 21st! apparently she got 2 grand each deducted for the time she had them in Spain. She has the money tied up in her Spanish property. The court would not make her homeless to pay her debt to me.
    Anyway.....my circumstances have now changed, we lost our house in 2010...we could not afford the mortgage and had a huge legal bill from the lost court case and were obviously not being supported by the ex, still we are not bitter!!
    My question to anyone out there who may have knowledge, even though the order is to pay the kids when 21, as things have now changed and we are being faced with being unable to pay the rent, would I be able to get a REMO based on the fact she has assets????
    Or am I just wasting my time, I think she works cash in hand in bars but gets Spanish benefit.
    The whole story is much more complicated than above but thanks for time reading
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    ahhh poo i think he has moved again, just got my app sent to the states after they lost it, and i think he has moved over to the next town in Mississippi, nearer to his college, he has dropped all contact with me now as he knows that I am filing for support, so i dont know his new address. Without his new address will they still be able to find him, i gave them his SSN, and as much detail as possible.

I am tired of it now, it has been 4 months since any contact from him.
  • mico62
    Options
    ahhh poo i think he has moved again, just got my app sent to the states after they lost it, and i think he has moved over to the next town in Mississippi, nearer to his college, he has dropped all contact with me now as he knows that I am filing for support, so i dont know his new address. Without his new address will they still be able to find him, i gave them his SSN, and as much detail as possible.

I am tired of it now, it has been 4 months since any contact from him.

If you've got his SSN number they should be able to find him especially as he should've updated his driving licence within 30 days of moving.
  • melbarnes
    Options
    Lillse wrote: »
    I m really sorry there seem to be loads of people on this site who have been treated really bad by their ex's. Well I m here to join your gang! I m a MAN....! My ex and I split in 2003, we had 2 kids who were 1 and 3 at the time. We were not married. From some reason she choose to move to Spain and take the kids with her, I could not stop this legally and we sold the house. I wanted the kids to have all they needed so decided to split the equity which should have been 50/50, 3 ways. A third to her, a third to me and a third to the children, that's £40,000 each. She took the £80,000 and off she went. Within a few months the kids were back in the uk living with me, I got PR & a residence order and they have lived with me ever since. I met my soul mate, got married, had 3 more kids and we are all very happy. My older 2 call the wife mummy and I must be the luckiest bloke around.
    The ex has had little or no contact with them by her choice in the past 6years and has not financially supported them at all. You can guess the extra £40,000 she had for the kids never came back despite requests. In 2007 following some really bad legal advice that I could get it back as the split of the money was all written up by a solicitor, I took her to court, the bad bit of the advice was that half way through the legal battle she had a baby and at that point I should have been told to abandon it, however the court did award me an order in favour of the children that she pays them £18,000 each on their 21st! apparently she got 2 grand each deducted for the time she had them in Spain. She has the money tied up in her Spanish property. The court would not make her homeless to pay her debt to me.
    Anyway.....my circumstances have now changed, we lost our house in 2010...we could not afford the mortgage and had a huge legal bill from the lost court case and were obviously not being supported by the ex, still we are not bitter!!
    My question to anyone out there who may have knowledge, even though the order is to pay the kids when 21, as things have now changed and we are being faced with being unable to pay the rent, would I be able to get a REMO based on the fact she has assets????
    Or am I just wasting my time, I think she works cash in hand in bars but gets Spanish benefit.
    The whole story is much more complicated than above but thanks for time reading
    It really depends on what kind of order you were granted. Was it under the Children Act 1989? You should also be getting child maintenance which is possible under either jurisdiction although the UK maybe seen as 'first seized' if they dealt with it before. In Spain, however, you would get child maintenance up to the child's first job, only cutting off at 25 if they remain unemployed. Its a lot more generous there so you should seek free advice at your local Magistrates Court under the new Maintenance Regulation that covers all EU countries. See my previous post.
  • legalexec
    legalexec Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2011 at 10:12PM
    Options
    mico62 wrote: »
    The Natwest used to charge me £7.50 when ex was transferring money to me. I'm still with them so it just proves how much they charge depends which branch you go into and who you speak to.

Like AM Texas doesn't have the facility to make a direct transfer to foreign accounts and I'm glad they don't otherwise I'd be paying £7.50h per week.

My payments are made through an income witholding order and are sent from his employer to the Texas OAG who sends me a cheque the day after they've received a payment.

Hi Mico62, my case took place in the US Court yesterday and I was awarded a substantial amount of child support each month. :)

I was really wired after the hearing as my stress levels are very high due to the years of waiting for child support payments to be made. Therefore I was up all night and most of this morning as I could not sleep.

Over the last few days I checked to see what several other banks were offering, however I found they were very expensive and also very unhelpful. Therefore I chose to ring Natwest this morning to find out how I could bank my US Cheques with them, as I have an existing account. They advised they would call back. Unfortunately when they called I had finally gone to sleep as I was so exhausted. Therefore, I was so groggy that I cannot fully recall what they told me. I do recall however that it was good news and that the costs they mentioned would be fixed if the cheques are less than £5000 per month which I note that you previously mentioned. They also said the cheques would take approximately 28 days to clear, unlike some of the other banks who mentioned as much as 8 weeks being needed for clearance.

Thanks again for your advice without which I might not have stuck with Natwest. :T
  • mico62
    Options
    Congratulations legalexec, what a fantastic early christmas present. Its never taken more than a week for my cheques to clear but my branch did specify that I pay them in at the business counter and not the personal counter so maybe that's why.
  • insurgente
    Options
    I might be way off with this, but on the subject of cashing US cheques, would it be possible to open a Citibank account (which has branches both in the UK and the US)? That way you could avoid the charges somehow?

the other thing that popped in to my head was a Bank of America e-checking account (you can make free withdrawls at Barclays) but I'm not sure if it's possible to open one of those without being in the US
  • mico62
    Options
    insurgente wrote: »
    I might be way off with this, but on the subject of cashing US cheques, would it be possible to open a Citibank account (which has branches both in the UK and the US)? That way you could avoid the charges somehow?

I opened a Citibank account for this very reason but the wouldn't issue me a cash machine account and couldn't tell me why, then they wrote to me saying the are now going to charge customers paying in foreign currency cheques.
  • Nalahking
    Options
    Hi all...
    I'm going through the REMO process at the moment but have to say I am rather discouraged by most of what I see.
    My son's father walked away when I was pregnant. I gave birth in October 2010 by which time he had returned to France. Despite making initial enquiries in November 2010 it took until September 2011 for me to appear before a judge to have it sworn, and documents were sent to the REMO unit on 13th December 2011. The Mags Court was pretty useless, I had to practically call and shout every two weeks for anything to happen there. A few questions for you all:

1) Can I chase the REMO unit directly seeing as my Mags Court is useless?
    2) What happens next? The legal adviser said he would be served and there would be a hearing in 8 weeks or so (that was Sep 2010 when I went to swear in the papers).
    3) Are there any success stories out there or am I wasting my time?

Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport