'Do old dating traditions still apply?' poll discussion

edited 1 June 2009 at 1:28PM in Money Saving Polls
66 replies 8.4K views
123457»

Replies

• CCStar wrote: »
    When there is a truly equal world where there is good affordable childcare, equal opportunities for any age or sex, and a true equality of pay, I think it should be split 50/50

The UK has come a long way over the years in these areas and better than many other places in the world.

Till then, men should pay for the first date, but I do offer to pay for my share of the bill or a proportion, such as paying for the drinks with the meal.

This is a reasonable view and if one if the man is more solvent then he will tend to carry more of the financial burden willingly. It is the expectation that the man should pay for everything that is objectionable to many of us and, as has already been pointed out, there are ways of showing or giving that do not involve large expense such as home cook meals or being the one to invite them out for a walk etc.
  • englishmacenglishmac Forumite
    137 Posts
    CCStar wrote: »
    Yes, it costs a lot to look good for the occasion and get babysitting to go out.

Is this referring to the cost to the man or the woman?
    Cheap and cheerful. Preferably free. :T LBM - more a gradual rude awakening.
    DFD where the light is at the end of this very long tunnel - there, see it? Its getting brighter!! :o

DFW Nerd Club Member no. 946. Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts. :D
  • edited 4 June 2009 at 12:28AM
    englishmacenglishmac Forumite
    137 Posts
    edited 4 June 2009 at 12:28AM
    in my experience, ladies are only equality minded when it suits them.
    whowouldn't (mnale or female) accept an offer of a free meal /drinks?

I agree. I find it appalling. It gives women a bad name and I don't like to be associated with it.

This female.

If low pay is an issue for either party, the date should be tailored to the wallet - it doesn't have to be an expensive meal/outing. Paying my own costs is a matter of self-respect for me - paying my own way in life. I would expect to pay for what I have had myself but would be happy to pay 50:50 if that was suggested (regardless of who had the most expensive meal). I would make sure this was clear before accepting the date - it doesn't have to be heavy and/or offensive; something like 'I haven't got a lot of spare cash at the moment but I'd really like to see you - how about [different eaterie] instead?' That makes it clear I intend to pay my share and it is within my budget. If they then say not to worry about the cost, they will pay, I would respond with something like 'I wouldn't really be comfortable with you paying - I don't like to take advantage.'

Paying for myself also discourages anyone from thinking they are paying for more than just my company/fabulous conversation. :rotfl: Surprising how many blokes think spending a few quid makes you beholden to them if you know what I mean.:rolleyes:
    Cheap and cheerful. Preferably free. :T LBM - more a gradual rude awakening.
    DFD where the light is at the end of this very long tunnel - there, see it? Its getting brighter!! :o

DFW Nerd Club Member no. 946. Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts. :D
  • SD-253SD-253 Forumite
    314 Posts
    Women should pay until they put out. If you are to tight to open your legs than I am to tight to buy you a meal........you blood sucking leaches!
  • ThinkingOfLinkingThinkingOfLinking Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing, somehow, you're single, Brandeberryj? Can't imagine why you haven't got women queueing around the block to go on a date with you....
  • ipod_killed_the_musicshopipod_killed_the_musicshop Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think my opinion is somewhere in between the above 2 posts:rotfl:

I don't think someone should have to do actual sex. Plenty of couples rarely do it, plenty of mm (and of course ff) couples rarely have sex. However I do feel that if nothing at all has happened then it's possible for a woman to seem interested when she isn't, just for a free ride.
    Boris Johnson voted against Brexit in the Commons, all to become leader of the Conservative Party. Fall for it and you deserve everything you get.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals