'Do old dating traditions still apply?' poll discussion

edited 1 June 2009 at 1:28PM in Money Saving Polls
66 replies 8.4K views

Replies

• brightonman123brightonman123 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    in my experience, ladies are only equality minded when it suits them.

whowouldn't (mnale or female) accept an offer of a free meal /drinks?

i would feel bad not being able to at least offer to get a round in, on a works pub crawl.. even if the boss was putting everything on his company card!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • tes30tes30 Forumite
    6 Posts
    I would go for option e. That way at least you have offered. Im atraditional kind of girl and would hope that my date insisted in paying the bill, especially on a first date. Afterall a wouldnt go back for a second date as i would think he felt i wasnt worth it !
  • Patrick20Patrick20 Forumite
    754 Posts
    Well it depends what type of woman i was out with. Mostly it would be A but I chose that not out if tradition, or thinking that men always pay but because that is the type of guy I am, I'm a kind generous sex god ;). If I was out with my mates (providing I could afford it) I would offer to treat them. When the first couple of dates were over though I would hope to see it even out a bit if the woman was equally interested in me. There is nothing worse than a gold digger ;)
  • A few years back when I was 'tinternet dating I met up with this bloke who was supposed to take me to a press screening of a film. He cocked up the date for the screening, we turned up a week early, after 15 minutes at shouting at the bemused woman on the ticket desk turned to me with the immortal words "Well I suppose as this isn't working I might as well take you to dinner".

We went to Wagamama . . . Cheapo cheapo food, and the bill came to like £18.70 with drinks. Now in my book that means a tenner each goes on the little plate and that's the tip sorted as well . . . He practically pulls out a pen & paper to work out 'his share' as we had split a starter he hadn't liked & I had polished off what he left . . . The waiter kept coming and being sent away as he still hadn't figured out what he thought was his. After about 20 or so minutes of this utter stupidity I grabbed his wallet removed a tenner to put with mine and practically threw it at the waiter.

For some strange reason I went to a pub with him afterwards to round off the evening instead of running for the hills. It was an olde world old mans pub where the bar staff tend to ignore females & I managed to order the drinks but they went to him for the cash, as he had bought the first round in the pub we met in,I gave him a tenner to cover the round which he gave to the barman and then pocketed my change !!!!!!

Tight was not the word . . . Betty was a blinking on them banknotes the few times she saw daylight . . . Needless to say I didn't return his calls !
    DFW NERD# 1175
    Proud Member of Sealed Pot Challenge #5 ~ 1479 cashless_wonder~*DEBT FREE & LOVING IT*~
    :D
  • Patrick20Patrick20 Forumite
    754 Posts
    A few years back when I was 'tinternet dating I met up with this bloke who was supposed to take me to a press screening of a film. He cocked up the date for the screening, we turned up a week early, after 15 minutes at shouting at the bemused woman on the ticket desk turned to me with the immortal words "Well I suppose as this isn't working I might as well take you to dinner".

We went to Wagamama . . . Cheapo cheapo food, and the bill came to like £18.70 with drinks. Now in my book that means a tenner each goes on the little plate and that's the tip sorted as well . . . He practically pulls out a pen & paper to work out 'his share' as we had split a starter he hadn't liked & I had polished off what he left . . . The waiter kept coming and being sent away as he still hadn't figured out what he thought was his. After about 20 or so minutes of this utter stupidity I grabbed his wallet removed a tenner to put with mine and practically threw it at the waiter.

For some strange reason I went to a pub with him afterwards to round off the evening instead of running for the hills. It was an olde world old mans pub where the bar staff tend to ignore females & I managed to order the drinks but they went to him for the cash, as he had bought the first round in the pub we met in,I gave him a tenner to cover the round which he gave to the barman and then pocketed my change !!!!!!

Tight was not the word . . . Betty was a blinking on them banknotes the few times she saw daylight . . . Needless to say I didn't return his calls !

i know someone like that. he is a d.i.c.k
  • Cumbrian_MaleCumbrian_Male Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 42 and been married 20 years so my dating days are long gone.

My initial reaction to the question was the man always pays but then I thought these days maybe 50:50 is the done thing, which is what I voted.

Having read all the comments I would be happy to pay the bill without upsetting the lady. I had feared that I might seem presumptuous to just pay.

That said if the lady were to offer I would politely decline but if she insisted then I would view it as her not wanting to repeat the experience and her get out.

I hope that I won't be re-entering the dating game any time soon.

I think if I were back in the market I would need a instruction manual and training wheels. Maybe coffee or early evening drinks and then on to a meal if it works out.

God it's a scary prospect.:eek:
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• ipod_killed_the_musicshopipod_killed_the_musicshop Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Despite being married I've never been on a date in my life:D
    Boris Johnson voted against Brexit in the Commons, all to become leader of the Conservative Party. Fall for it and you deserve everything you get.
  • ReverbeReverbe Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    I went with I.

Have never been taken out to dinner on a date but will always pay my way.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • droniddronid Forumite
    590 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭
    The man should pay... but then I'm gay so that rather splits the difference.

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • greystergreyster Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    I'm male and glady pay for the date, and some of the following ones. The question is, when do you draw the line? When should it be 50:50, for those of you who voted the man should pay on the inital date.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides