discrimination advice

Options
I'm 12 weeks pregnant my manager has known since 5 weeks due to my job.
I tried to book some time off for a friends wedding. Just 2 days beginning of august and put form in beginning of may. It has been declined. I asked why and he says because the assistant manager is off at same time. I am a supervisor. Now as far as I am aware 2 members of staff are allowed to have the same time day off so this shouldn't be a problem. Then Friday just gone assistant manager and another supervisor had same day off! I have disputed this as why has he allowed this and not mine? And his reply was because he can and my holiday is declined end off!
Is this grounds for discrimination or will I be told its managers decision end off?

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Invoke the companies grievence procedure.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    How do you think that you have been discriminated against?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • mrsormrod
    mrsormrod Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Because of my pregnancy.
    I feel he is making it difficult for me.
    Both me and the other supervisor are at the same level so if he denied my holiday because assistant manager was off surely he should of denied hers? I can under stand if its a busy period but its not. If anything this Friday will be bussier than beginning of august.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    I think you might have a case to raise a grievance merely on the grounds of unequal treatment, but I am not sure I would bring my pregnancy into it.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry but I don't think your pregnancy has anything to do with your boss allowing the other supervisor having a holiday.

Perhaps its a case of favouritism but other than that I don't think there is a case to answer.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2009 at 11:48AM
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Invoke the companies grievence procedure.
    On what grounds exactly.
    Thats very poor advice.
    mrsormrod wrote: »
    I'm 12 weeks pregnant my manager has known since 5 weeks due to my job.
    I tried to book some time off for a friends wedding. Just 2 days beginning of august and put form in beginning of may. It has been declined. I asked why and he says because the assistant manager is off at same time. I am a supervisor. Now as far as I am aware 2 members of staff are allowed to have the same time day off so this shouldn't be a problem. Then Friday just gone assistant manager and another supervisor had same day off! I have disputed this as why has he allowed this and not mine? And his reply was because he can and my holiday is declined end off!
    Is this grounds for discrimination or will I be told its managers decision end off?

Do you think the automatic right to holidays is granted just because you filled out a form?
    If that was the case, then why do you need to submit it?

What has this got to do with pregnancy??? Nothing at all!
    The ONLY case where your pregnancy may have held sway is if you are due to go on Maternity Leave soon. If you are, then maybe the Manager decided that the supervisor should be first in the pecking order as you wont be there when he wants his time off.

I love reading the 'Help!!! Discrimination' threads as invariably they are of no substance........such as this one.
    fengirl wrote: »
    I think you might have a case to raise a grievance merely on the grounds of unequal treatment, but I am not sure I would bring my pregnancy into it.
    Unequal treatment where?
    If 2 people want the same annual leave days, then it is up to the manager to decide who gets it and not the people requesting it.
  • Roobarb73
    Roobarb73 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with the others, raise a grievance regarding the holiday issue, but from what you have posted I don't see you could establish sex (Pregnancy) discrimination.
  • mrsormrod
    mrsormrod Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously I wouldn't think it was sex discrimination just because of holidays! I'm not dense!
    There are other problems with him that has led me to believe he is trying his damndest to get me to walk out. But I know to claim that I need physical evidence which I don't have just his behaviour towards me which isn't enough.
    Thanks for those that advised on going down grievance procedure route will look into it tomorrow.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Just to clarify, the OP said that in a similar case, the manager and supervisor were both allowed time off on the same day. Surely this is unequal treatment?
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Fengirl - I would also probably issue a grievance or request an explanation to see why there doesn't seem to be an equal treatment.

There might be genuine reason. But without it it doesn't seem fair.

Woody - have you read the OPs thread?
    Doesn't it seem that reply as "Because I can" sounds a bit of a power trip?

As I say - there might be genuine reason. But without it I would probably see the situation as unfair.

Not a discrimination though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport