Combo Breaker First Post
    TRIX
    well said
    especially the last 4 words
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Aw shucks - thanx guys :-*

So - has any of it changed your views carrie_sparkle?
    I guess from your post you were unsure if you were doing something wrong or not, but at least you asked for opinions.
    Your sons safety was a WAY bigger issue than using the bays which is why I may have sounded a bit strong. Has any of what I said made you stop and think, and will you be doing things differently in future?

PLEASE let your son sulk and make him go in the shop with you - he'll need practice for when he's a man after all ;D
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • deeds
    deeds Posts: 400 Forumite
    Well having read through this little lot Im going to stick my say in too!

Why are there parent/child parking bays anyway? what makes them so berluddy special? One year old children (or in fact children of any age) shouldn't be allowed to just run out in front of cars!! They should be supervised by the parent and if the parent can't manage to keep said child in check when in a car park then leave the damn child at home!
    It does annoy me when I see parent/child parking where it used to be a disabled bay. The lesser abled people have a hard enough time as it is without making them walk even further cos of a parent bay! Parent bays indeed! Its just another example of Britain being a nanny state! Get your offspring under control and walk with them! No wonder there are so many fat lazy kids about!
    as for the bays being outside of B&Q, I'd be much more annoyed coming across screaming brats in a DIY store running amok than coming across a disabled person whether that be them in a wheelchair, with a stick or just with difficulties walking.
    What is with this mollycoddling crap that this country is so fond of?
    Parents, keep your kids under control and WALK the extra distance and just be bloody grateful that you can still do so!!
    Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr

rattled or what
  • deeds
    deeds Posts: 400 Forumite
    lol, was that aimed in my direction Trafalgar?
    you startin eh? ;)
    Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right
  • Trix

i had to call to sainsburys today after i picked son up from school

i parked in a normal bay - and took my son into the shop.

i am a reformed character and feel so much better for it !!!

am sure i have a lot more to thank you for than what we realise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    things happen for a reason

thanks

:D
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lol, was that aimed in my direction Trafalgar?
    you startin eh? ;)

No deed :P, Sorry deed :P, three bags full deed ;)
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    CONGRATULATIONS carrie_sparkle ;D

Now go spread the word to the unreformed ;)

Deeds - kinda see your point although it's a little idealistic. Leave your kids at home with whom? Not always an option sadly. Kids aren't always running out of control in car parks- they just don't have a full understanding of danger when they are young. If you have more than one child or they don't fit in the trolley seat, it's hard to push a fully loaded trolley, unlock your car and stop them running in front of cars all at once.

I think if P&C bays were put around the sides of car parks with a path leading to the shop in front of the car (if you park forward), it would keep the danger down. They would still need to be wider for being able to open the door wide for getting kids in&out of seats, and have trolley bays near so you don't have to leave your child alone in the car too long when taking your trolley back - but they will be much less desirable for non-kids with them' users if only the first few are closer.

Does everone understand what I mean ???
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • Crayola_3
    Crayola_3 Posts: 17 Forumite
    it annoys me so much to see lazy people parking in bays that are there to make other people's lives easier.

when my child was a baby/toddler there was no such thing as "parent n child" parking.
    it was such a struggle on my own - but i managed when i had to
    even on they days when i didnt hav the family car - i would get two buses to the shops with the baby in tow.
    trouble is we expect far too much these days.

i always thought the idea of P&C bays were that they were slightly wider to allow u enough space to get baby in and out of car seat?

provided there is a trolley park very near (as said above) - i dont think there is a need for the bays to be right next to the shop entrance?
    walking that little bit extra is good for us
    and perhaps the lazy people with no children wont be tempted to park in the "wider" bays?

will just get down off my high horse now.....

... and up onto my soap box

I HATE LAZY PEOPLE WHO PARK IN THE "CASH MACHINE ONLY" BAYS
    the spaces are always full - and yet no-one is using the ATMs.....

>:(
  • I'm going to add my two pence worth here following up from Deeds.....

I have two children, six and two (strange names for kids I know). When out with the six year old, I NEVER park in a M&C spot (who called them this anyway? I'm a proud father). However, when with the 2 year old, I have two choices. Either park miles away where there are at least 2 spaces or park in a M&C. The reason is simply because I value my car doors and my 2 year old son's life.

Whilst I understand that children should be trained road sense from a young age, 2 year olds are difficult to reason with.

OK, so you probably say put them in a trolley. Great. Where are the trolleys? Oh yes, right near the entrance. So let's leave a child in their car seat whilst I wander across the car park, wander back and wander back again and the child has found some paint (that happened to me once). Now call me lazy if you like but have you ever been to Tesco in Kingston, Milton Keynes? Some of the car parking spaces are literally miles away!

Also, children DO open up car doors without looking properly (see comment above about reasoning) and there is little you can do about this. I'm sure you would rather keep childrens doors away from your car so this way we're putting them all together.

Also, think about young mothers with very young babies. To get a non-walking baby out of the car means you have to often open the door as wide as it will go.

I do have a solution, however. I think it will suit nobody but there you are. Move the trolleys across to the back end of the car park, put the P&C (Parent and Child) spaces there too. Oh and don't forget to put a safe path all the way round the car park. Do that and I think we have a happy scenario.

And before anyone complains, I do try not to take my children shopping @ Tesco. It's not good for Adults tempers and it's not good for children's either, however, my wife and I do also like to shop together. Maybe as someone else pointed out do like Ikea.

Best idea ever IKEA, I'll keep coming back (with my kids). They love playing in the Creche and I like shopping with my wife and without them.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure