Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Millyjackson
    Options
    Hi there

I have a degree, completed in 2004 and am now seriously considering retraining in midwifery. That is another undergraduate degree and there are no longer nhs burseries for these courses (kicking myself for not applying last year).

My question is would i qualify for a second student loan? These is no way I can afford to do it otherwise.

Many thanks
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Generally you would not get funding to complete a qualification at the same level as one you already hold. I don't know if the NHS has some leeway on this, given the shortage of nurses/ midwifes.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Millyjackson
    Options
    Having spoken to Student Loans on the phone yesterday, there are some courses that were previously eligible for an nhs bursery that are now 'exceptions', meaning that even if it is your second undergraduate degree, you are still able to recieve full student finance.

:)
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Am I write in thinking that the student loan is written off after 30 years?

If so does this also apply to the maintenance loan too?

Also, is the interest written off or just the loan?

Does the interest still have to be paid if earning under £21k
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    UKSBD wrote: »
    Am I write in thinking that the student loan is written off after 30 years?

If so does this also apply to the maintenance loan too?

Also, is the interest written off or just the loan?

Does the interest still have to be paid if earning under £21k

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes

Perhaps read up and do some research beforehand. All your questions are very very basic.
  • evenstar2009
    Options
    Hi!
    I hope you can give me some advice on my situation as I can't seem to find info anywhere else!

I have 3 pre-1998 (Northern Ireland) student loans which I deferred on until about 2009. I had a pay cut and ended up deferring again from 2013-2015.

Now I've had letters from Link Financial Outsourcing threatening bailiffs/debt collection type action if I don't pay the full balance off which I can't do

Already tried contacting them but just get their voicemail

Any advice?

thanks
  • tbfortune
    tbfortune Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 March 2017 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Hi There,

I started uni in September and have two loans of £9,000 and £8,200 for tuition fees and maintenance respectively. I plan to graduate in either 2019 or 2020 depending on whether I choose a sandwich year.

Say (hypothetically) that after I graduate and am eligible to repay my loan, I receive a large inheritance.

Would this count as my income when calculating how much loan I will repay a month?
    Also, would this sudden increase in wealth mean I have to pay off any debt immediately?

Obviously I would probably prefer to pay off my loan as anyone else would rather than paying an upfront cost as I am aware my debt will be at around £51,000 when I graduate, minus the interest rate + inflation.

Many Thanks :)
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tbfortune wrote: »
    Hi There,

I started uni in September and have two loans of £9,000 and £8,200 for tuition fees and maintenance respectively. I plan to graduate in either 2019 or 2020 depending on whether I choose a sandwich year.

Say (hypothetically) that after I graduate and am eligible to repay my loan, I receive a large inheritance.

Would this count as my income when calculating how much loan I will repay a month?
    Also, would this sudden increase in wealth mean I have to pay off any debt immediately?

Obviously I would probably prefer to pay off my loan as anyone else would rather than paying an upfront cost as I am aware my debt will be at around £51,000 when I graduate, minus the interest rate + inflation.

Many Thanks :)

You pay back student loan based on earned income. Inheritance is not earned income and therefore it does not get used in calculating repayment amounts.

However, having that capital can be used to stop some benefits if you are on them.
  • Younganddumb
    Options
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on if I have a good enough case for compelling personal reasons?

I started uni in 2012/13 and dropped out December of 2013/14.
    My attendance record got gradually poorer from January 13 with me not coming in for months on end due to depression and the 13/14 academic year I think I actually only attended once or twice.
    I recall seeing a GP the Jan 13 to try and get some help but got unlucky with the doctor who scoffed when she found out I studied Psychology and told me I was probably imagining it which unfortunately means I have no paper trail of my depression as I received no support for it.

Prior to starting university I was my mothers full time carer (in receipt of carers allowance) due to her mental health. While I was away my mother struggled without me (as I was >200 miles away) which put additional strain on me. This also meant that some of the time I was missing in uni was due to me being up north to be with her.

My depression was the main reason resulting in me dropping out but obviously my mother's mental health contributed to it too.

Would I have a good enough case for compelling reason? And what sort of evidence can I be expecting to be asked for?

Thanks everyone
    Debt free by April 2018
    £6392/£7890

Competition wins 2018: Unicorn and Mermaid colouring books
  • endangeredspecies
    Options
    Hi,

I took out a loan from 1994 to 1997 as a mature student. I've never reached the earning threshold. I'm 50 in a month's time- will my loan automatically be cancelled or is there a procedure I have to follow to get it cancelled?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback