Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• hall987
    hall987 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    someone has mentioned a template letter to reply to Erudio rather than using the form, please could someone post a link thank you?
  • ericctheking
    Options
    There is a template on the no2erudio site.

http://no2erudio.wordpress.com/template-letter-for-deferment/

I would add that I no not give permission for them to supply my details to credit reference agencies. They have no right to do that.
  • hall987
    hall987 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Eric, I have cobbled together the info. I have from various sources and created this letter, do you think I have missed anything out?

Erudio Student Loans Ltd
    PO Box 580
    Rotherham
    S63 3FR

RE LOANS : xxxxxx

Formal request for deferment under the Education (Student Loans) Act and Education (Student Loans) Regulations.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I formally request that my student loan accounts listed above are deferred for a further 12 months pursuant to the Education (Student Loans) Act and Education (Student Loans) Regulations.

In accordance with the regulations I provide evidence that:

- my gross income for the relevant month is not more than the deferment level. For my evidence I include as requested a signed copy of my profit and loss accounts for 2012-2013. I am self-employed and work for myself from home
    - my gross average monthly income during the 3 months immediately following the relevant month will not or is unlikely to be more than the deferment level.
    - As a family my partner and I receive e.g. Child Tax credits, etc I have enclosed copies of these awards. This amount of approx x a month would obviously have to be halved to x as this deferment pertains only to myself.

where “relevant month” means the month before the month in which the borrower asks for deferment.

I shall not be completing the form provided by yourselves as it requests private personal or other data that is not relevant to the above deferment conditions.

I note that there is no requirement in the legislation or agreement to apply for deferment in a given format or on a specified form.

Please note that I do not consent to any additions, amendments, or otherwise, to the Terms & Conditions of the original loan agreement by Erudio Student Loans Ltd. This includes the recording of any student loan deferment information with any Credit Reference Agency, with the exception of where a formal Notice of Default has been served in accordance with The Consumer Credit Act (1974) and The Education (Student Loans) Regulations (1997).

The recording of any information with any Credit Reference Agency in relation to the right of deferment under Section 11 (1) of The Education (Student Loans) Regulations (1997) will be constituted as a breach of the original loan agreement, and may result in civil proceedings being brought against Enrudio Student Loans Ltd.

I declare that all information given is correct to the best of my knowledge, and no relevant source of income has been omitted. As such I fulfil the conditions for deferment.

I look forward to confirmation of deferment.

Yours Faithfully
  • ericctheking
    Options
    That looks like a good letter.
    If they record with the credit reference agencies it is a breach of the data protection act too, isn't it?
  • jamminjamaica
    Options
    why are Erudio now counting money recieved in child tax and working tax credits as income. i faguely remember in my defferment application last year that it was included.
  • jamminjamaica
    Options
    has anyone got any guidance from Martin lewis or any of the Mods on what we should do about our deferment application?
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Right, after a whole 4 hours of phone calls, starting with nationaldentlineuk, to the financial ombudsman, to the financial conduct authority, to the student loans company and finally told to go back to the department for business innovation and skills (BIS),where i found out the only place/address to complain to about these loans, other than the official process complaining to erudio first and then the financial ombudsman.
    It is this email address at BIS: complaints@bis.gsi.gov.uk
    IF anyone has a complaint to lodge in general about erudio about the loans sale/issues thus encountered, i encourage everyone to mail this address. I was told to include as much information as possible in the mail, outlining as much as possible, encounters, problems etc etc.
    My own search today mainly focused on agreement to pass on info to CRAs being tied up with our deferments and additional info they want that may breech our original terms and conditions.
    The financial ombudsman agent i spoke to said he thought SLC might have agreed to Erudion passing on info to CRAs in their new agreement and that it 'might' be legal because all debt collection companies are obliged to do this. But he was not 100% sure and suggested calling the financial conduct authority...they said student loans were outside what they deal with and call SLC. The SLC agent, after hearing my 2 main complaints said they certainly seem to have breached our agreement/original T&Cs...but, i didnt exactly have 100% confidence in him or his replies, as he didnt seem that engaged/bothered. The guy at BIS in the complaints dept said to email (what i list above) the complaint to him and it will get passed onto sheffield, where they will investigate and reply in a letter.
    I strongly suggest everyone with any complaint they think is legitimate to write to this email address offering a full account of all gripes and what you think has been breached. A personal account is what they want, so not just a reproduced letter i think. BUT, and a big but, dont forget to complain to erudio about anything you feel they have breeched the T&C's, it is my understanding that everything must start there. However, complaining to BIS is slightly different and i assume can be concurrent.
    Hope it helps and keep mailing, we all need to know!
  • Bernaden
    Options
    Hi, I am just trying to do the parents Household Income section and am having trouble with knowing how to adjust for pension payments.

When selecting this figure, deduct any amount(s) you pay for private pension contributions, additional voluntary contributions (AVCs) and/or allowable expenses on which you claimed tax relief.

As a low income/non earner I have paid the maximum into my personal pension that I am allowed: £2880 which is uprated t0 £3600. His father also paid a lump sum into his personal pension (not a work related pension) which was also uprated to cover 20% tax. My question is do I adjust our income using the pension amount paid (in my case, £2880) or the amount it was grossed up to? (£3600).

I am hoping it is the grossed up figure as that will take us below one of the income ranges.

Also, should I include the child benefit I receive for my younger child as part of our household income?

I would be grateful for any advice and/or pointers to official sites where it explains it properly/simply.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bernaden wrote: »
    Hi, I am just trying to do the parents Household Income section and am having trouble with knowing how to adjust for pension payments.

When selecting this figure, deduct any amount(s) you pay for private pension contributions, additional voluntary contributions (AVCs) and/or allowable expenses on which you claimed tax relief.

As a low income/non earner I have paid the maximum into my personal pension that I am allowed: £2880 which is uprated t0 £3600. His father also paid a lump sum into his personal pension (not a work related pension) which was also uprated to cover 20% tax. My question is do I adjust our income using the pension amount paid (in my case, £2880) or the amount it was grossed up to? (£3600).

I am hoping it is the grossed up figure as that will take us below one of the income ranges.

Also, should I include the child benefit I receive for my younger child as part of our household income?

I would be grateful for any advice and/or pointers to official sites where it explains it properly/simply.

The only one I am sure of is do not include Child Benefit as it is not taxable.

It does get very confusing as they ask for Gross Taxable Pay which for my pay makes no allowance for pension contributions whatsoever. Where on my husbands pay pension is clearly separated pre tax.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Bernaden
    Options
    Thanks Mrs Arcanum.

I wasn't sure about Child Benefit as I thought it is now affected by a higher earnings cap and so I wondered if it was taken into account for this.

Regarding the pensions I do suspect it will probably be the lower amount, which will take us just into a higher band.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback