🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• OAB
    OAB Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello.

I am trying to apply for second year, but have had a change of circumstance.

I now live with my Dad and obviously have to go with his finance and stuff, but we can't find it anywhere. My Dad is pretty much a person who knows exactly how much he got paid, but of course should I put what he tells me. We can't find the forms that I need and it's pretty annoying now and I am worrying myself to death!

My Dad has just turned 65 and is now a pensioner, but the 09/10 details the SLC want I can't find. So I don't know what to do? My Dad tells me he got £284/wk in 09/10 and gets £313/week in 10/11/12. So I really need help to get these figures. I have phoned student finance but they are not very much help.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is that gross or net?
    He should have payslips, and a P60. He is required to keep those.

If he doesn't, get a statement of earnings by contacting HMRC.
  • lanste
    lanste Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    HI, my son suspended his uni studies last year but is due to restart his final year in Sept 11. We've appliced for a loan for the coming year but have received letter stating he was overpaid his maintenance grant last year(dispite us updating his info online at the time he suspended his studies) by almost £800 and demanding payment immediately. He can't afford to pay this amount back - is there any way it could be taken off this coming years grant instead? Many Thanks
  • Taiko
    Options
    Yes, it'll be automatically deducted from this years payments.
  • anna1222
    anna1222 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Wondered whether you could give me some advice.
    I am a single mum with 2 children on IS.
    I have been offered a place at college in September,one day a week.
    Will i be able to get any help with funding.
    I was on a full time course 2 years ago,and i was wrongly advised about receiving ALG,so missed out.
    Would like to have the correct info this time round.
    Any advice appreciated
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    anna1222 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Wondered whether you could give me some advice.
    I am a single mum with 2 children on IS.
    I have been offered a place at college in September,one day a week.
    Will i be able to get any help with funding.
    I was on a full time course 2 years ago,and i was wrongly advised about receiving ALG,so missed out.
    Would like to have the correct info this time round.
    Any advice appreciated

What level is the course?
  • Top_Banana_2
    Top_Banana_2 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    Hi- can you help?

I had a place on a 2 year HND in 2009. I had to defer the offer due to ill health. Again, in 2010 I was still ill and the uni agreed to defer until 2011. I am now fine and will be starting in September this year.

I applied for the tuition fee loan but I've been refused. I'm told I am not entitled to any tuition fee loan or grant (the things I applied for) as according to their records I have already studied for 2 years at HE level.

I have not done this as I deferred in both years. I have letters from UCAS dated August 2010 confirming this. How could I enrol/register if I had been confirmed as a 'deferral'? You can't.

In September 2010, the loans company paid me £800 of the grant in error. I repaid this immediately. This was a mistake as I did not attend 1 day of either the 2009/10 or 2010/11 years.

I've phoned the uni to ask for a letter from them confirming I have not studied with them in those 2 years at the request of the student finance people. The uni asked me to email in the request but I've not had a response yet.

Is there anything I can do?

This is a mistake on either the university's part (i.e. they mistakenly told student finance I had attended) or student finance's.

Thanks.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2011 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Top_Banana wrote: »
    Hi- can you help?

I had a place on a 2 year HND in 2009. I had to defer the offer due to ill health. Again, in 2010 I was still ill and the uni agreed to defer until 2011. I am now fine and will be starting in September this year.

I applied for the tuition fee loan but I've been refused. I'm told I am not entitled to any tuition fee loan or grant (the things I applied for) as according to their records I have already studied for 2 years at HE level.

I have not done this as I deferred in both years. I have letters from UCAS dated August 2010 confirming this. How could I enrol/register if I had been confirmed as a 'deferral'? You can't.

In September 2010, the loans company paid me £800 of the grant in error. I repaid this immediately. This was a mistake as I did not attend 1 day of either the 2009/10 or 2010/11 years.

I've phoned the uni to ask for a letter from them confirming I have not studied with them in those 2 years at the request of the student finance people. The uni asked me to email in the request but I've not had a response yet.

Is there anything I can do?
    This is a mistake on either the university's part (i.e. they mistakenly told student finance I had attended) or student finance's.
    Thanks.

Other than the grant you repaid have you received any student loans over the last two years? If you've not received anything and have been deferred it's likely to just be a mix up and should get sorted. Did you inform SFE (or LEA) that you'd deferred?
  • Taiko
    Options
    It's the university.

For SFE to release funds, they had to confirm you were in attendance. If the university done this, then they made the mistake.

Only advice is to keep chasing your university. SFE won't do a thing until such time as they receive written confirmation.
  • bluebindy123
    Options
    I paid 700.00 towards my daughters college fees last year. This year I have got a bill for £2160. Have they changed how the monies are sorted. The only difference is that I have another son starting at the same college this September. our finances are the same as previous years.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure