PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Strawberries

Options

Comments

• JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    10p thats fab! I keep my eyes out in Asda but never see any reduced. Is that reductiona regular thing in Sainsburys at end of day or something ?

Good to know they freeze ok and last til next year too
    Jill
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I had some strawberries given to me on my wedding day for some reason, and I threw them in the freezer.

I just defrosted one punnet (I have two) and they are all soggy - clearly they don't freeze well.

So, what can I do with them? We have eaten some but they are not so nice soggy.

Can I make milkshake?

I have a hand-held cake mixer, but no blender, so can't do smoothies or anything like that.

I don't want to have to bin them as it feels such a waste.

any ideas?
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • pretz_2
    pretz_2 Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    you could use them in muffins, warmed up with abit of sugar syrup and have over ice cream, maybe in an eton mess or as a crumble

hth
    pretz
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes, make a milkshake or ice cream or eton mess (mix them with crushed meringue and whipped cream or for a healthier alternative, yogurt).

I'm sure some more ideas will be along shortly!
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crush them up with a couple of spoonfuls of strawberry jam to bring out the flavour, and make a cheesecake as per GMTV pudding club this morning. (I expect the recipe is on the itv.com website).
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • mags50_2
    mags50_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Trifle? Well, that's what my mum-in-law used to use them for... and they were lovely!:D
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN £259.63/£400 FEB £346.41/£350.00 MAR £212.57/£300 APR £1/£250
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    THey are not crushable - we had to suck them to eat them! THe skins have gone rubbery and the insides to mush. Don;t think they would work in Eton mess or something like that.

OH won;t eat cheesecake - he doesn;t like cheese.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    Frozen strawberries are still fine for making jam. If you don't have sufficient quantity for jam, just cook them with a little sugar until soft and use to make summer pudding (mixed with other red fruit), or to make strawberry ice cream.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    i'd make jam or cook them with a little sugar them crush with a fork or potato masher and make a coulis
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    What about Strawberry Velvet?

about 2/3 pat of butter & couple of tablespoons of golden syrup, melted in a pan - add half a pack of crushed digestives to make a biscuit base. Put in a bottom-less tin.

Make up strawberry jelly in a saucepan, shove in your soggy strawberry's for extra flavour, allow to cool but not set. Make up a packet of dream topping (according to instructions). Once dream topping all fluffy, you can add a tub of soft cheese, but if OH hates, leave it out. Mix together your cool jelly, strawberry and dream topping until well blended.

Pour on top of biscuit base. Shove in fridge until top has set - voila ... one yummy, very delicious cake in about 10 minutes, start to fridge.

To decorate you can use some fresh whipped cream piped around it, or just some fresh strawbs (i've used tinned ones before) - or just leave it plain.

Then enjoy enormously ...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport