Has your Credit Card limit been reduced?

Options

Comments

• Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    vet8 wrote: »
    Their letter says "American Express appreciates your business"! Yeah!

That's the bit isn't it? I think most people accept that being able to borrow money is a priveledge rather than a right. It's all the bull that goes with it though that I can find irritating. Honestly, I would rather a company write to say that they're reducing my limit because I owe so much and they're crapping their pants in case they don't get their money back. I would much rather that than all the BS flannel.
  • bms1972
    bms1972 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was very surprised to be given 'only' a £5k limit on a new CC recently. It's the first new CC I have applied for in maybe 5 or 6 years but previously I am used to getting much bigger limits (and I was earning a lot less back then and borrowing more). The limit was more than adequate for my needs, but does seem to indicate that either credit is being doled out more sensibly or that reducing my borrowings & credit applications has negatively effected my credit rating.
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Current account provider Halifax
    Credit Card limit before change £1,500
    Credit Card balance at time £1,293
    New Credit Card limit after change £1,350
    Whether this happened due to the way you run your account They didn't say anything but it
    was a 0% balance transfer and I paid the minimum each month. Funny enough though the 0% period has just ended.
    Any charges incurred as a result No
    Whether you were notified beforehand No
  • snowymalone
    snowymalone Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Current account provider: Halifax
    Credit Card limit before change: 10,500
    Credit Card balance at time: 10,390 (all balance transfers, no purchases)
    New Credit Card limit after change: 9,500
    Whether this happened due to the way you run your account: no
    Any charges incurred as a result: see below
    Whether you were notified beforehand: absolutely not: again, see below.

I'd taken Martin's advice, and used various Halifax promotions (ave. 5-6% for lifetime of balance) and put a lot of transfers on this card for three or four years, and the balances were coming down nicely. Then, about March this year, while I had £2,000 available, they wrote to offer me another 5.5% life of balance deal. And then a week later rang me to offer it. And again. About five times over the subsequent week, in fact, stating that the offer closed at midnight on the Friday (very pushy callers, too) so I relented and t/f'd £1,800 from another card.

Then last month I got a letter from them stating they'd dropped my limit by a thousand, and I was now over my limit by £900, and I was to immediately make a payment. I rang them and pointed out I was only over the limit as they themselves had badgered me into it. After a lot of squabbling they raised the limit back up to £10,400, and I made my usual payment at the end of the month.

And then I got another letter this week, stating I hadn't made minimum payment, and demanding nearly £150 to cover the shortfall. I rang them immediately, only to be told my new minimums were closer to £300. Because, it transpires, when I defaulted (as they put it) all bets were off, all promotions immediately become void and I went straight to their top whack rate of over 20% APR.

Now: as we're about to enter a DMP, is it worth going to war with them over this, or just keep shtum and let CCCS handle them? Or should we tell CCCS this and will they negotiate re this once the DMP is running? Someone suggested that if they've broken their own agreement I may be entitled to reclaim all charges they've ever levied on me - is this just Guinness inspired optimisim or is there possibly some truth in it?
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 337
    Amount owed 20/5/09 - £40,800:
    DFD 1/12/2016
  • freeoffers
    freeoffers Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, the banks can't win can they. They get lambasted for throwing credit around and moaned at for cutting back. Yeah i dont like the bull that comes with their letters either but its about time they stopped upping credit limits willy nilly.
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    freeoffers wrote: »
    Wow, the banks can't win can they. They get lambasted for throwing credit around and moaned at for cutting back. Yeah i dont like the bull that comes with their letters either but its about time they stopped upping credit limits willy nilly.

think you'll find they stopped doing this a couple of years ago now :confused:
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • greenmantle
    greenmantle Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    Neither of my credit limits have been reduced, but I myself requested that Egg cut my limit from 2100 to 900, as I was overseas for a while and didn't want quite so much ready credit in my wallet.

HSBC have a habit of sneaking limit increases in there. I remember years ago asking them to reverse an increase I hadn't requested, but sure enough it crept up again later. Hasn't gone up in a while though (there's no balance on it).

All of them have been playing silly !!!!!!s with interest rates, though, regardless of account conduct. HSBC upped my interest rate (paying off the full amount monthly) to 17.9, and when I asked them 'what the hell?' they said 'oops, you qualify for 15.9, actually' (1% below the standard variable). Egg is at about 26%, a high to which it sneaked at some unknown date in the past, and refuse to review the rate. So I'm just not using it.

Worst past experience for wildly fluctuating limits/interest rates was with Mint, when I had a transferred balance with them. They were more of the 'charge-creating' kind that took you unawares...
    Now: off-set mortgage *up-and-running*...
    *official Mortgage-free wannabe* :beer:
    Then: Epic graduate debts paid off, 2006-2009

• Dabooka
    Dabooka Posts: 839 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2009 at 10:15AM
    Options
    I've read the replies here and although I can appreciate people feeling hard done to having their limits cut etc when they're paid off in full most months or always, but surely the reason behind this is do you need the credit if that's the case, and if you owe nothing to them why should they risk having you suddenly bank up loads you (potentially) couldn't pay back?

That's not to say I agree with methods, timings etc, but try and understand it's an unnecessary risk for them.

Incidently, I only have an Amex (since 2002), no recent limit changes but a small increase in apr (can't even remember to what. About 17% I think?). Paid off in full every month, but still I get the letter. Why? I assume it's because I'll not pay much attention (as I have just proven!) because it's always paid off, and if I did build up a balance they'll make a little out of me.
  • Snowman4
    Options
    Provider: Barclaycard
    Limit to begin with - 8,500
    Account balance under 1,000
    new Limit - 1,000
    Covering letter (rather sniffy) mentioned something about this being due to the way the account is operated - I took this to mean that my partner had been rumbled as tarting with this cards so presumably this is a result of the legislation that allows providers to look at other accounts.
  • Windscreen_Viper
    Options
    Current account provider Marks & Spencer
    Credit Card limit before change £5,000
    Credit Card balance at time £2,500 (approx)
    New Credit Card limit after change £2,500
    Whether this happened due to the way you run your account They didn't say anything but it, but when I called them to ask why they tried to fob me off with what may be in my credit reference report (which is complete er.... round objects!)
    Any charges incurred as a result No as I had just 10 days before paid off the full balance
    Whether you were notified beforehand yes, but only just!

They now refuse to consider increasing it back again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport