PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken stock to soup

Options
Hi all , just bought two fresh chickens from Mr T , BOGOF. :D
I have frozen one, but want to roast the other for tea.
Ideally I would like to make a chicken soup with the left overs and to make some genuine chicken stock but I have never done this before so could anyone give me some pointers?
Also, can I freeze the stock once made?
I did look in the mega index ,but there is nothing about chicken soup that I could find..:confused:
Thanks all,Sam

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I just strip off all the meat and just boil the bones it in water to make a stock. I use a pressure cooker which is quickest.
    You can freeze the stock as it is and you can use it for different receipes or make it up as soup and freeze it.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • samnmalc
    samnmalc Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Rikki, how long do you boil it for?
    Do you completely cover the carcass in water?

Sorry for all the daft questions............:confused:
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    here is St Delia on the subject, well it is Turkey soup but it'll convert I'm sure and if you have a slow sooker there are loads HERE icon7.gif
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    I got given a chicken a couple of weeks ago, it made us a roast dinner, 6 pittas with salad, chicken stock and a chicken and noodle soup. It was one stretchy chicken!!
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    Two of my neighbours give me their chicken carcesses because I told them off for throwing them away!!
    I've just made stock, I threw in all the bones, roughly chopped onions, celery any old roots I had lingering in the fridge, and today I put in the brocolli stalks. Covered it with water simmmered for a couple of hours and then strained the liquid off. And no, I didn't strain it into the sink although I did last week. Oooops!!
  • samnmalc
    samnmalc Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

That sounds like the sort of thing I would do...doh!

Well the stock is simmering on the stove , the kids have had the drumsticks for their tea , so I have two breasts (ooh errrr!) and some scratty pieces of meat left.
    Should do my chicken fahjitas for tea , the chicken soup and maybe a couple of cold chicken sandwiches!!

Not bad for £1.50 :T
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not a happy bunny... got to tesco and NO BOGOF! There is a HUGE sign outside advertising them and not a smidgen in store... the peeps were totally useless so gave up and bought the best priced chicken fo tea tonight as "he" wants roast :) and then I'll stick the left overs in the SC and stick a load of other bits in too so there is stock ready in the morning :) I'll have the rest of the chicken for lunch tomorrow and maybe leave a few bits for soup for him ;) IF he's been a good boy hehe
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    right

have my yummy chicken stock - it has solidified, i have taken fat off the top and have about 3/4-1 pint of solid jelly stock.

Want to make some soup to eat - enough for two people. how much stock do i use????? :confused:

please help :rolleyes:
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Use it all - if you have any left you can freeze the soup when made - I bet you wont have any left!
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    do i not have to water it down then????

just wanted to check so i do it right!
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport