Wood burning stoves>

Options

Comments

• Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    Nonieg - whether a wood burning stove is a good idea depends on what you want to achieve.

Positives - simple technology, little to go wrong if you follow a few basic rules (like not burning wet wood, using a stove pipe thermometer), resilient (still gives heat if there's a power cut) and you can't beat the cheery warmth from a real fire. Almost (but not quite) as cheap as gas.

Negatives - getting good quality dry wood at a sensible price, the fire needs tending and there's a routine around emptying ash, setting the fire, etc. No question a wood burner can be messy so they're probably not for anyone obsessive about keeping their house spotless.
  • Nonieg
    Nonieg Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for that. We're up for the challenge, prepared for the mess and surrounded by woodland. Must be mad!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it your woodland though?
  • AGBAGB
    AGBAGB Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Nonieg, I did a bit of study on the costs etc. (you'll probably find the link back in thread). Its worth it if you love it and have time time and energy for it. Even if your own trees to harvest it's still a lot of work felling cutting , splitting, stacking etc to get enough logs to keep a big stove with rads burning through the winter. Before you commit to the back boiler idea consider if you can circulate the warm air from a standard stove around the house. If you can then the storage heaters can be kept for backup or to supplement the fire.
    :confused:
  • km1423
    km1423 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    We had our first Multifuel stove fitted in 2011, the best thing we ever did. Having Multifuel means you can choose between either wood or coal (solid fuel) on the same appliance.

Do the right thing, and line your chimney, plus shop around for the right stove for you and your demand of the appliance, some can also heat hot water, etc and it can be a minefield. Find a good HETAS registered installer however be armed with knowledge, and hopefully their experience can guide you.

I wanted a Clearview, but a 6" liner was simply too big. I have a Morso squirrel and a Newman Vista Quenta, which is brilliant stove. It's cast iron 5 KW and throws out an enormous amount of heat. Heating a large lower living space of nearly 18 meters, and boils the kettle. The stove fans do a great job too, making the heat rise.

Also advise your Insurers that you have an appliance, it shouldn't affect your premium, but should something happen, and they are not aware - problems!!!

As you have access to free wood, lucky devil, make sure you cut/split to size of your appliance and season it well, invest in a quality moisture meter. I season my wood (hardwood) outdoors to around 16%. This will give you a good clean burn. You will be looking at a minimum of 12 months or 18 months depending on the wood to get this low, but worth it.

I picked up some London Plane in Jan 2013, very green. Tested in Dec 2013 down to 18%, burns as hot as hell.

If you get it right, you won't look back, plus if you ever have a power cut, you can still keep warm and cook on your appliance too.

Good Luck

If you want loyalty - get a dog:rotfl::rotfl:

All my posts are my opinion, and the actions I would take.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 April 2014 at 1:18AM
    Options
    We've had our fires for just over a month now, we are still not 100% happy with them and tbh of I had known then what I know now I wouldn't have bought them, I do enjoy having a fire, it's lovely to look at, but it isn't heating that big a space and isn't roasting, and as for the fire upstairs, well that's just been a nightmare from the start

I wouldn't say they are a deff no for everyone, but I wouldn't say they are all they are cracked up to be either
  • Smiley_Dan
    Smiley_Dan Posts: 948 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say the biggest drawback I've found with ours is that they are far from automatic and no-fuss, unlike a CH system. If you're trying to concentrate on something but having to refill the stove every hour or so, or at least keep an eye on it, it can become frustrating.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smiley_Dan wrote: »
    I'd say the biggest drawback I've found with ours is that they are far from automatic and no-fuss, unlike a CH system. If you're trying to concentrate on something but having to refill the stove every hour or so, or at least keep an eye on it, it can become frustrating.

Just goes to show how people differ. One of the things I like about my stove (or an open fire) is that it needs attention and skill.
  • countryman_2
    Options
    Just a quick update......So we're now almost 8 years on....Same £250 Ebay unknown branded wood burning stove.....still NO chimney liner (but swept twice each burning season i.e 3 monthly) in .....burning almost exclusively pallet wood and general builders waste (never chip board or MDF but occasional small amount of paint/varnish) ....

.....and still very happy :beer:
    4kw PV fitted 4th July 2014 (Green Energy NW £5600). WSW facing, 30 deg Pitch, Unshaded, Samil Solar River inverter, 16 Solar World Mono panels, Iboost on Immersion Heater. located in mid Lincolnshire.
  • sma11person
    Options
    Just a word of caution: A HETAS registered installer is not necessarily a good installer. I've seen and heard some terrible horror stories, including an installer whose work turned out to be so dangerous, the bloke who contracted him has to fork out to take the installer to court to reclaim the cost of remedial works (installer ignores even HETAS correspondence). That one remains on the HETAS register.

I don't doubt that there are some very good installers out there, but from what I've gathered thus far, if it all goes wrong, HETAS are neither use nor ornament. They just tell the customer to consult the documents that the installers are supposed to follow, and make you sort it out amongst yourselves. A regulatory body that doesn't regulate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure