Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan PPI reclamation ?

Options

Comments

• convservation
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Packaged products are treated as individual segments. Chances are yours is auto payout rather than being upheld. If yours says goodwill offer, then that would verify it.

HI

Just read the 3 page reply from Halifax.

There is no mention of a goodwill offer. But an offer and final response.

It also states that any redress will only be applicable to me.

It reads.

Although the above policy provides cover for both of you.
    The mortgage repayment element only provides mortgage repayment for me.

I am assuming that they are referring to the PPI part here.
  • dazzler44
    dazzler44 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    whats the situation with Halifax and auto payouts at the moment ? are they no longer doing this ?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    whats the situation with Halifax and auto payouts at the moment ? are they no longer doing this ?

The indication is that they auto payout is coming to an end on new cases. There may still be a floor limit in effect for small value complaints (this is common across the board).
    There is no mention of a goodwill offer. But an offer and final response.

Any mention of them upholding your complaint and agreeing with you or is the response more vague and not accepting of an error or something being done wrong?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • convservation
    Options
    The letter says they have upheld my complaint!

Is there a risk that in going to the FOS for redress, that the Halifax can withdraw the offer ?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Is there a risk that in going to the FOS for redress, that the Halifax can withdraw the offer ?

No. If it is upheld then they have accepted a wrong doing. Goodwill responses are the ones where the offer can be withdrawn (often goodwill payments are made as the cost of continuing the complaint and in particular going to the FOS make it more economical to pay out than to fight).

So, if you dont like their response and feel you have a case to make that is likely to win at the FOS then you can go to the FOS without worry of it being withdrawn (remember that the FOS is not a consumer champion. They look at evidence and information and will treat both sides as equals).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • convservation
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    No. If it is upheld then they have accepted a wrong doing. Goodwill responses are the ones where the offer can be withdrawn (often goodwill payments are made as the cost of continuing the complaint and in particular going to the FOS make it more economical to pay out than to fight).

So, if you dont like their response and feel you have a case to make that is likely to win at the FOS then you can go to the FOS without worry of it being withdrawn (remember that the FOS is not a consumer champion. They look at evidence and information and will treat both sides as equals).

I understand that, and will be happy to take heed of the final say from the FOS. I would rather listen to them, than the bank.

The relating paperwork is now in the hands of the FOS. I might a well let them look into this for me.

Thanks for your replies. Will let you know how it goes.
  • convservation
    Options
    Sorry matey!

Think you might have duplicated your last post!:D
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Think you might have duplicated your last post!

Yes, internet went all gluelike on me and I had to refresh the page which caused double post.
  • we recently claimed our TMPP and we got a refund, we proved it was missold as we did not need it and we were pressured to take it for an interest only mortgage as compulsory. They did not make much enquiries, but the form they sent was a tough one to fill in, so you really need to put your story straight.

they only refund the PPI part of it, the rest is life insurance, but still got a cheque for like £1250.00.
    Had to return the cheque though as the name had some errors but expect it back soon.:rotfl::rotfl::beer::rotfl::rotfl:

Hope this helps
  • starsky72
    Options
    We took a mortgage out with the Halifax almost 20 years ago and were were told outright that we MUST have mortgage payment protection and it MUST be their Halifax product.

However, Halifax have rejected our claim stating -

"I can confirm that it has never been a requirement to take out a PPI policy in order for a mortgage application to be accepted. In addition, taking out a PPI policy would not have improved the chances of your application being accepted"

Now I know that is wrong, but how do you prove that the conversation took place?

How do you prove that you wouldn't have refused it had you been given the option?

From what I have read, the fact that I was in a secure, well paid job with generous sickness benefits etc etc doesn't seem to factor.

So we seem to be in a situation where I claim one thing, they deny it.. The main difference being, I was there... the person replying to the complaint wasn't...

Worth taking it further???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport