We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Asian Supermarket on the Ormeau Rd

1…5681011…14

Comments

  • spike7451 wrote: »
    Just over the Ormeau bridge opposite the toilet's in the park,the are parking bay's if you're stuck.

    That's the Chinese supermarket.
  • spike7451 wrote: »
    Once you go,you'll never buy any oriental kit from the supermarket again!!
    Box of prawn crackers....50p!
    Pappads,proper ones...50p!
    & if you like KFC,try these!!
    fried_chicken_flour.jpg
    The black pepper one's brill!

    Ohhh, will have to look out for those. They look really good ;)
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Ohhh, will have to look out for those. They look really good ;)

    They are,
    Simple to use too!
    Mix the flour with water & veg oil,dunk the chicken ect in the batter & deep fry.
    I bung the chick in the oven after frying just to make sure it's cooked.Bacon done in it is sooooo good!!:D
    I buy these chicken portions from Sainsbury's Forrestside (you get drums,legs,thights ect in the pack!)
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1264857574794
    & I can do a Southern Fried Chicken which tastes better than KFC for 1/4 of the cost of Kentucky!
    The flour is along the back wall,dont forget to check out the freezers!
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Good stuff Spike. The seasoned flour would also be good to use as southern fried chicken instead of batter. Just roll the chicken in an egg+water wash and dust in the seasoned flour before frying.:T
  • Just want to clarify that the asian supermmarket ormeau road doesn't open until 9am. If anyone knows if it opens early I would appreciate confirmation. Many thanks (I need more decent chillis)
  • I can confirm the opening is defo 9am! I know, I've been too early on occasions!

    HTH
  • Just did another trip up
    10kg of Japanese sushi rice £14.90
    3 packs of char siu steam buns with 6 in each pack £3 each
    1 pack chinese sausage steam buns £3
    Japanese Kewpie mayo £4.20
    several assorted packs of instant noodles from 55p per pack depending on type.
    1 bag of frozen edamame (soy beans) £3
    2 one litre bottles of mayo, 1 garlic, 1 plain £2 each

    Oh and the prices get cheaper if you buy by the case! I plan to go back soon to but a case of cup noodles, they go down a treat in our house

    I would have bought more but I was running out of time :(
  • suited-aces
    suited-aces Posts: 1,938
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does anyone know when the quiet times are? I live within 50 yards of it, but have only been in once. I get intimidated by the mad rushing match!
    I'm not bad at golf, I just get better value for money when I take more shots!
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,358
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Def avoid Sunday then, it's the busiest day! First thing in the morning is probably best. Probably a good job I don't live so close to it, I'd end up spending a fortune :)
  • ooo000ooo
    ooo000ooo Posts: 577 Forumite
    Has anyone tried the Barbecue pork type stuff they sell at the till in the warehouse bit? looks lovely.
    Do they sell chicken pieces in there somewhere, i found pigs heads and stuff.

    Noticed, whilst browsing the aisles that they sold fish snouts, anybody know what they are or what they taste like?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.