Asian Supermarket on the Ormeau Rd

Options

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    OK, enough with the chicken feet suggestions, please :o

Can we change the discussion to less yucky things that are available in the Chinese supermarket?

Have you tried the Karts Roti Paratha breads?They're in the first freezer as you go up the right hand aisle.
    Really easy to use,you just fry them in a little ghee & they puff up like flakey pastry.One thing they are good for is the pastry topping for a home made meat pie! I bung the meat & stuff in a casserole & kust before searving,stick a ready cooked Roti lid on the top.
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mmmmm, they sound good! Must have a look for those :)
    I have bought some of the fried chicken spices, just haven't tried them yet!
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmmm, they sound good! Must have a look for those :)
    I have bought some of the fried chicken spices, just haven't tried them yet!

They make a great dry fried chilli beef! Done it at the weekend,I made a thickish batter from the black pepper one & dipped thin strips of beef in it & deep fried until crisp.Served them on a simple schezwan stir fry & noodles.They turned out better than the ones you get from the chinese take away!:T
  • arkonite_babe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds good, think that's a definite one to try!
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    anyone know what I can add to the condenced chinese gravey I buy in asia supermarket to make it more like takeaway gravey?

The takeaway gravey that I love is the dark rich stuff. I've tried adding dark soya but it's not quite there. Maybe the brand of soya isn't right?
  • arkonite_babe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The gravy I have bought just needs hot water whisked in to make it up? A lot of the takeaways make the gravy from scratch and use gravy browning in liquid form to make it really dark. There is no soy sauce in it, that I can vouch for. I used to work in a chinese takeaway ;)

Maybe try another brand if this one just isn't quite right?? I'll see what else I can come up with in the meantime.
  • bribrian
    bribrian Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if any of the big supermarkets sell water chestnuts or am i going to have to make a trek up to one of these Chinese supermarkets....
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most supermarkets sell tins of water chestnuts, fairly common as far as I know.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • kidshorsesdogs
    Options
    I've been looking for crispy noodles, I was in Lee foods yesterday but couldn't find any, I asked a girl but she didn't understand what I meant. The closest I can discribe is the noodles that came with Vesta Chow Mein many years ago, they were slightly opaque, a bit like the look of prawn crackers prior to frying, about 3 inches long & straight, . When put into hot oil just spiraled immediatley into crispy noodles.

024782.jpg?ts=634047622400
    The noodles I'm looking for are like the ones in this picture!

Anyone know the name or brand I should be looking for? I've told the kids how yummy they are and now I can't find them!! I should have kept quiet!!
  • arkonite_babe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bribrian wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the big supermarkets sell water chestnuts or am i going to have to make a trek up to one of these Chinese supermarkets....

Sainsburys and Tesco do them in small cans. You'll find them in the canned veg aisle or speciality section.

Chinese supermarket does them but in catering size cans, so they are very large.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport