We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OLD STYLE Thursday...7th May

124

Comments

  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,240 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Afternoon all.

    Happy Birthday SOMO1.

    Sistercas like, er, OWOWOUCH re DD's finger.:eek::eek::eek: I think I'd have declined having the hole drilled, as well.

    The mushroom risotto yesterday went down brilliantly; so I shall do that one again some time, although not too often, as I have to be careful about eating too many shrooms.:rolleyes:

    Going to try an aubergine and tomato bake for dins tonight. This is proving ...er...interesting, as I'm as weak as a flippin' kitten today, so having to do little bits towards it and then sit down again for a [STRIKE]bit.[/STRIKE]hour or so.:o

    So far, the ingredients have all been located and put out on the work top, the aubergine has been sliced (took me ages, as I'm not at all safe with knives so was being extra careful) and the Parmesan has been grated.

    WM was put on at silly o'clock this morning; it was raining when we emptied it, so Mr LW put the washing on the A frame over the bath; then of course, the sun came out, so I felt duty-bound to move the washing outside. Result - one thoroughly knackered Wolf! Washing's all dry though, even Mr LW's jeans.

    There's times I could scream at this illness - if I had the energy. LOL.

    Well, onwards and upwards, I guess. ((((HUGS)))) to all who want/need one today.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,331 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Afternoon all,

    Was feeling miserable and not in form of chatting yesterday, seem to be fine to-day so be warned!

    SOM1 Happy birthday, enjoy your meal out:bdaycake:

    Sybil....thoroughly agree with Donny gal, you are getting too many colds and I would not be happy at all with that facetious remark by your doctor....I know that you feed LB an DH very well, but are you eating as well yourself??You may need extra vitamins for some reason....can you see another doctor who has some feeling for his/her patients?

    Bought a woodburning stove for the kitchen this morning....will be fitted either to-morrow or Tuesday....OH says that chimney is fine, just hope that he is right. Looking forward to being able to simmer pots on it as my gas hob is hopeless, none of the jets will turn down low enough to simmer so I go mad.

    Wash out, another ready but may not put it out as it looks as if rain is coming anytime soon. Dinner will be lamb chops with turnip, cabbage and new potatoes.

    Got the 'filling' for the two boxes OH made yesterday, looking forward to putting in some carrots, onions and anything else I can fit in...

    Getting on with 3rd Christmas sweater to-night, hopefully the pace will speed up a bit as there are about 15 to go, in various sizes.

    Hugs to all who are in need or want, congratulations to all who are celebrating, and welcome to any newbies

    Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Pippa.S
    Pippa.S Posts: 2,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    Afternoon :hello:

    Its been a lovely day today, all the washing's dried, dont you just love seeing it blowing on the line ???

    Had a quick go in the garden chopping a few heads off and pulling a few dead bits up, its surprising how much better it looks :D

    Had 2 crumpets for lunch lovely mmmm havent had them for ages.
    Dinner is beef and all the trimmings with loads of veg, then fruit after.


    Zippy - hmmm think I'll do it myself and save money :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    sunnygirl - hope your dad is feeling a bit better today x
    sistercas - ouch :eek: I would have declined as well
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOMO1 _party__party__party_
    Sybil - I agree with the others, you sound a bit run down, maybe you need some YOU time as well x (((HUGS))) for LB
    Chrisca - good news :T have a great meal and a few :beer: to celebrate.

    I have the most horrendous COLD my nose is a constant stream.... and I look like RUDOLPH .....ah well it could be worse I could have a cough as well ;):rolleyes:

    Time to get the dinner on, see you later
    Anne
    x
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Pippa S - as a last resort (and I mean last resort) I use an anti histimine (?sp) to control a runny nose, but it has got to be extreme as a runny nose is part of the body's defences.

    I am going to get some more vitamins. I do tend to skip food or get a biscuit when little bear is having a meal, so I suppose that isn't helping. I am stuck with my GP who is actually very nice and helpful in many ways, Nic1Lou2 I think we share the same doctor, but he is the only doctor who will give me anti depressants without sending me for counselling. I can't cope with counselling at the moment. He is also extremely good with little bear (okay, little bear isn't a constant attendee, but he is so patient with him when I am there).

    Well, first approved food box arrived and is currently waiting to be taken down to the kitchen. I now have a bottle of geranium pink disinfectant called - startips! Yes, it is indeed by our favourite cleaner company, stardrops but germicidal and pink. Very pink. You could imagine Thora Hird approving of the packaging. I just want to ensure that the bathroom is well cleaned with little bear's exploratory tendancies.

    Hugs to all.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,240 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I can't cope with counselling at the moment.
    I'm with you there Sybil.

    I've had more counselling/CBT/psychotherapy in one lifetime than anyone should have to put up with in three, and have invariably found it to be counter-productive.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • nic1lou2
    nic1lou2 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Good evening (wow didn't that sound formal!)

    It has been a beautiful day here today and I should have had lots of washing drying on the line but I have been playing hookey (sp?) Really needed a break today so took myself into town to look around the shops. Also am not flat clearing tonight either as DD2 has volunteered to go with Hubbie to help. Had a lovely tea of salmon (which we were going to have yest but didn't), Jersey Royals and roast peppers/mushrooms/tomatoes etc. So as a result, I am feeling less stressed this evening than I have done for weeks.

    WS I do go to the same docs (upstairs from where I work) and I usually see Dr G as I find him most helpful when I need him to be. You def sound run down though and could perhaps use some sort of vitamins/tonic.

    SunnyGirl - hope everything is ok.

    Ravylesley I am doing the low fat thing as I find I get awful headaches with the low carb dieting - although it works quickest for me!!

    xxx
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"
    :D Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!:D
    Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    sistercas wrote: »
    afternoon everybody
    happy birthday SOMO1 :beer: hope you have a lovely day
    sunnygirl (hugs) to you and the family hope ddad is improving
    Taplady hows things at yours? (hugs) to you and DS
    WS ((hugs)) you sound shattered hope you get a good nights sleep tonight

    well took DD for an xray of her thumb and she has fractured the tip , they havent done anything with it , although they did suggest if the pain got too bad they could put a hole through her thumb nail to relieve the pressure :eek: she declined :rolleyes:
    lovely weather today and it looks like the veggies survived the monsoon / gales from last night
    I have the washer on
    bacon ,eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes for tea

    ((hugs)) to all that need


    My son did his thumb and it was black on the thumbnail and pounding - they heated up a paperclip and made a hole in the nail with the red hot clip to let the pressure out - he went pale and nearly passed out but the pain was relieved when the blood all came out and the pounding stopped!:eek:
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    donny-gal wrote: »
    ....Oh heck, put a telescope on Freecycle and had 7 replies within 10 minutes:eek:, waiting to allow those working to see and then will put the names in a hat - only way I can think of, any other thoughts?

    That's how I've done it......or gone for the most polite response from a name I haven't seen asking for previous things.....
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇⭐
    2025 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 May 2009 at 9:25PM
    sistercas wrote: »
    ....well took DD for an xray of her thumb and she has fractured the tip , they havent done anything with it , although they did suggest if the pain got too bad they could put a hole through her thumb nail to relieve the pressure :eek: she declined .....

    Just to say that I [STRIKE]bu**ered[/STRIKE] damaged my big toe nails skiing about 15 years ago....because of the pressure under the nails they went all shades of black & the nails both fell off.....took ages to look anything like reasonable again.....this may well happen with your DD's nail - what is her school's thoughts on nail varnish to cover / match the colours it will inevitably go?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇⭐
    2025 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    LameWolf wrote: »
    ....The mushroom risotto yesterday went down brilliantly; so I shall do that one again some time, although not too often, as I have to be careful about eating too many shrooms.:rolleyes:.....

    Cherry tomatoes cut into halves make scrummy risotto, as does asparagus (cold left-overs is great for this).....or I think the BC food website has a recipe for lettuce risotto which is good for using excess lettuce in the summer.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇⭐
    2025 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.