We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
OLD STYLE Thursday...7th May
christabell
Posts: 427 Forumite
Hi there! This is the Daily Thread for 7th May. This is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly, but if not, it's not a problem.
Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Daily Threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning. Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good!
OK....today I waited until 5AM to start the thread.....coffee is brewed, and for me this is a time to waken up, plan and start my day...surf the net and pay some bills.......went to the local shopping centre yesterday, came home cream crackered.......Hey Ho, that's life. Over to you...
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly, but if not, it's not a problem.
Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Daily Threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning. Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good!
OK....today I waited until 5AM to start the thread.....coffee is brewed, and for me this is a time to waken up, plan and start my day...surf the net and pay some bills.......went to the local shopping centre yesterday, came home cream crackered.......Hey Ho, that's life. Over to you...
Today, my BEST is good enough.
0
Comments
-
Morning Crristabel, and all to follow.
:bdaycake:Happy Birthday to Stressedoutmumof1, have a good day xx
Weather not so nice here today, no rain, but dull and no sun. Thanks to floss and Donny re the maths thing, will have to look into getting her extra tuition.
Off to work again today, very busy at the moment, so the days are flying past, which is good. Dinner tonight will be sausage egg and chips, and we have a sainsbugs delivery coming tonight.
Little dogs life jacket arrived yesterday,I will try to post a photo later, she loves it, and prances around showing off, she is very proud of it.
Ok better get on, have good days all xx0 -
Morning Christabell and Redruby and all who follow
Day off today and typically I could not sleep in.:mad:
However I am glad now as it looks like a nice day if it lasts
I think I might venture into town today, for a look around the shops as I am feeling the need for some me time and really dont want to flat clear today at all. Perhaps I might come back at it renewed if I have a break (my excuse and I am sticking to it!):rotfl:
Wm is on, dont need any bread making today - since I have been trying to diet it is amazing how the bread making has slowed down - I didn't realise I ate so much of it!:rotfl: Not sure what to do for tea today, I have loads of stuff in so will have a look later when I feel more inspired.
SunnyGirl - thinking of you and yours
Happy Birthday :bdaycake:stressedoutmumof1
:hello:Diva and WS (hope LB is well and being good - need more updates - they do make me smile!)
Have good days everyone
xxx
Edited to say Redruby cant wait too see that photo!!!!"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"
Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!:D
Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!0 -
Good Morning
SOMO1 - have a great day :j:beer:
Lovely and sunny here today, hopefully the forcast for rain is wrong but if it does come will do the garden good.
Normal day of washing, office work and hopefully some housework. Would like to give the dining room a good clean especially the windows. Should do it this morning as the sun comes round on it in the afternoons. Will obivously be using stardrops and vinegar. That will be virtually the only os today as am out at Nando's tonight with friends :j
Also aim to get the dogs out for a good walk today, I have been meaning to exercise daily for weeks but it still hasnt happened yet! So lots to get through this morning......best not linger too long on here
Havea good day.
x0 -
Good morning everyone :beer: I've had 2 long days at work, followed by late meetings, so looking forward to a day in, and doing some gardening :j It's our Scout District AGM next week, so I have the mammoth task of collating the accounts :eek: Planning to go for a run first :j
Happy Birthday to SOMO1 :bdaycake:
Old Style jobs for today:- Flylady list
- ironing
- make yoghurt
- make bread
- make supper
- weeding
- planting more seeds (beetroot, spinach, salad leaves)
- plant out (lettuce, onions, leeks, courgette, squash)
Penny. x:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:0 -
Morning all!
Christabell how come you are awake so early? I don't know how you do it.
off to spend the morning at DS pre school this morning. Haven't soend any time there since I spent a week settling him in at the beginning so this will be good fun to see what he gets up to. Am expecting him to play up a little I hope he doesn't embarass me too much!!!
Just put the tea in SC - somerset sausage casserole. Have the receipe for ages but never bothered to cook it. Smells lovely so far so can't wait til tea time!
I planted up my veggie patch yesterday with my courgettes, broccoli and cauliflower plants. Sowed some more carrots too so looking forward to seeing it all grown but more importantly eating it!!!!
Feeling quite perky (must have been the lie in til 6.20am this morning LOL!) but I bet I flag by lunchtime (especially with 18 kids at pre school!!!!).
Have a good day everyone.I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife
Louise Brooks
All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars0 -
Morning all,
I haven't been here since Monday but will catch up. Been so busy, I've been re-pointing the outbuilding and gardening in between having DGD, cooking and cleaning.
DD1 went visiting friends so I spent all day y/day at hers doing a spring clean, changed all bedding, stardropped kitchen/bathroom and all paintwork. Cooked DD1&SiL2b pork chops new pots & veg and a choc sponge for pud. Vacumed & polished everyroom. Got home did her washing, line dried it and have ironed the pile at 6.30am today, just having a breather.
Doing a roast chick dinner for them & us tonight, banoffee for pud.
Need to pop out and post parcel, another b/day in the family.
DW stopped working on Monday, sourced the part needed but it will cost £159, so it's not worth mending.
Fridge packed up y/day, it's quite old and has been freezing the food and the door seal has gone. More expense.
Off to catch up, back soon.0 -
Morning all

Well, we moved house 2 weeks and I finally got back online yesterday! Have missed MSE so much :rotfl: Move went smoothly but there is a LOT of work to be done in house, have a spare room full of rubbish so am starting to sort through that and ebay anything of value, hoping to raise a little bit of extra cash to pay for the things I have planned for the house :rolleyes:
Looks like quite a nice day here today but OH left the washing on the line all night so will have to see if it needs rewashing. I am aiming to do at least 2 loads of washing today and get as much as I can on Ebay, also cooking beef casserole with dumplings for tea so need to get that on the go. Our garden is massively overgrown so will be hoping to find some time to cut grass and clear a bit of space for DS to play football...
Anyone got any OS tips on how to clean an oven? It is a built in one that I have got and it looks like the previous owner exploded something in it and never cleaned it, have tried scrubbing but is not making any difference :eek: Daren't cook in it until is clean so am limited to hob recipes and SC at the moment!
Hope everyone ok - will read back over the threads later today but ((((hugs)))) to all who need em in meantime
S xx0 -
Morning Everyone
for once the weather was beautiful and sunny this morning.Hmm but it is clouding over a little now.I'm taking YS to Clitheroe today to trot round the castle and play on the park and the fact it has a fab shop that sells the most amazing sausages has nothing whatsoever to do with my decision ........................honest!Unfortunately cant leave until a parcel has been delivered but he's usually pretty early so should be gone by 10am.OS wise apart from bread and yoghurt not much else will be done as its rained every day here since Saturday and I'm not wasting my time on dusting etc when theres sunshine or at least dry weather to be enjoyed
Pen-pin-Hope today is a good day for you healthwise
MSD-Did Tristan get in touch yesterday and if he did how is he?
SOMO1-Happy Birthday who ever you are.
nic1-Good luck with the diet I'm low carbing at the moment so we use very little bread too.I swear I never thought I ate that much of it
Lesleyxx0 -
We overslept today - DH had forgotten to move the switch on the alarm clock, so woke up with 30 minutes to spare before his boss was due to collect him. However, was ready and waiting, having breakfasted properly and with packed lunch and coffee one minute before boss arrived! Now I can sort myself out in a somewhat more leisurely fashion.....
Dogs' beds are in WM and once I'm showered and dressed I'm going to shampoo the bedroom carpet. Need to make bread today and tackle the ironing pile, which seems to have sprung up from nowhere again.
Bought a standard size remoska yesterday, but won't be trying it out until tomorrow. Hope I've chosen the correct size, but it's really only the two of us most of the time, so should be OK?????
Need to visit the gym and walk the dogs later.
Don't seem to be making much headway with throwing stuff out tho' = wish I could get my act together.
Take care all - and have a ((HUG)) if needed.Resolution:
Think twice before spending anything!0 -
Stressed out mum - happy birthday
Christabell - until little bear came along I thought 5am was fictional unless you had partied all night.
Glad you got out.
Sunnygirl - hope all is going well, you are still in my prayers.
Sistercas - how is your little one's thumb? I hope she is feeling better.
Nic1Lou2 - Little bear is GRUMPY at the moment. I don't make things up, I just tell things that happen, and little bear yesterday was GRUMPY. He has a bad cold, I think, and is not his normal sunny self.
Last night LB woke up as I went (late) to bed, which is not normally a problem, he normally opens his eyes, even sits up and then goes back to sleep. Regrettably last night I had forgotten to turn on the night light (it was light when he went to bed) and the landing light was also off. LB did not approve of this and needed five minutes of cuddles to settle. This is perfectly reasonable from my point of view. However, LB was now awake, and stood at the safety gate politely but insistently complaining that he would like some company if it is not too much trouble. He was actually being polite, little chirrups and calls, but he was not stopping. So I crawled into the spare bed in his room in the hope he would not wake dear heart and after piling toy tractors, pieces of lego and miscellaneous soft toys all over me he finally went back to sleep around 2pm. So little bear is actually grumpy, full of cold and now absolutely shattered.
Did I mention that he intercepted the post the other day and we only found the letters re dear heart's car accident (v minor) in the evening? He got his paws on the four books that came in the post for him a little earlier than planned.
This is embarrassingly an OS free post so far and I am ashamed that there is not likely to be more if I recount the events at the end of the day. I have a bad cold - not anything more serious, but I feel extremely achy (again) and extremely cross about it. Lack of sleep is the least of my worries. I plan to knit. Also try and surf for recipes, especially lunch dishes for LB.
Also Abakhan had an offer on Bigga yarn, and they delivered the next day and they re-used a box which I heartily approve of as it is sensible recycling. I shall definitely be looking at them next time I need yarn. Sometime in 2013 if it comes to 'need' yarn, but realistically probably a lot earlier.
Also I have been offered a free half size upright freezer. But it hasn't been used for two years. Dear heart is not enthusiastic ('where will we put it?') but I pointed out that using up odds and end for soup to put in the freezer was a bit of a challenge when the freezer was full. It does make me wonder, how much money and effort would I save compared to the cost of buying and running a freezer?
I only logged in to see how Sunnygirl was doing, and I have written an essay. Sorry. But hugs to all. Sorry if I have missed anyone. Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards