Maltesers - watch out for new (smaller) pouches

Options

Comments

• MEMBER02
    MEMBER02 Posts: 811 Forumite
    Options
    Noticed in somerfield today that sunny d is in a new look bottle the catch is its 500ml smaller size old bottle was 1.5ltr new bottle 1ltr,same price,we are all being taken for fools,rip off britain!!!!!!!!
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't realise this was so widespread. I wonder if it's worth asking to start a "sticky" along the lines of "Report smaller packs - same price" or something?
  • supers
    supers Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the co-op this week £1 bags of maltesers,mm,revels 100g-125g what a rip off.
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    Last year I posted on here about the "downsizing" of boxes of Cadbury's Fingers. About 10 years ago there was 227g in a box (half a pound). Then they did the famous metrication trick which has been deployed on numerous bags of sweets - they downsized from 227g to 200g. Then every year over the last 10 years, they shaved off another 5-10 grams. Last year it was down to 165g, falling to 150g by the end of the year!

They have this crafty way of keeping the box the same size, but changing the dynamics of the inner plastic tray so it curves upwards like the bottom of a wine bottle, and spreading the fingers out more thinly.

Since I first warned about that, I've noticed the size has now dropped to 125g in some stores. They only need to shave off another 12 grams and they've got the product down to half its original weight, without anyone noticing!
  • MEMBER02
    Options
    Just goes to show how we the british public are being ripped off by greedy companies and goverment(eg petrol etc),problem is we sit back and let it happen.
  • Jakejakejake
    Jakejakejake Posts: 6,324 Forumite
    Options
    I've complained to mars.... lets see what happens!
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've noticed tubes of smarties are smaller now too. I don't know how long this has been the case as i'm not a regular smartie buyer (contrary to popular belief!)
  • MEMBER02
    Options
    Was in home bargains today seen the 99p boxes of malteasers, used to be 146 grammes now 120 grammes,another item the manufacturers have cut the weight of and hope we dont notice:mad:
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    They are still 146gms in my local Poundland. I'd better stock up!
  • MEMBER02
    Options
    Since I first warned about that, I've noticed the size has now dropped to 125g in some stores. They only need to shave off another 12 grams and they've got the product down to half its original weight, without anyone noticing![/QUOTE]
    Yeah notice its 125grammes in most stores now:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport